A good read about the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: A good read about the Saints

At the end of last century the Hillbillies were millions in debt, were playing home games on their shanty town Kardinia Park dung heap, their captain and their coach (that'd be Ayres, and is why I never want him anywhere near our club :evil: ) jumped ship, c/f hanging fat when their club really needed them.

Now, they are the only Victorian side with a true home ground advantage... can even host night games, win nearly every game... and pocket $800K each time for their troubles.

Win most games, make $800K per game, traditional footy atmosphere, community presence... no brainer.

That should be us! Linton Street was far and away the best developed suburban ground decades ago. We should be playing home games at our home ground... just like the Hillbillies do.

It does not have to happen overnight, but it must happen if we are to compete on and off the field! The Hillbillies show that it can happen. :idea:

We can rightly debate the short term priorities, but I can not see a more important long term, big picture priority than getting the club back to Moorabbin... training, social... and playing.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:At the end of last century the Hillbillies were millions in debt, were playing home games on their shanty town Kardinia Park dung heap, their captain and their coach (that'd be Ayres, and is why I never want him anywhere near our club :evil: ) jumped ship, c/f hanging fat when their club really needed them.

Now, they are the only Victorian side with a true home ground advantage... can even host night games, win nearly every game... and pocket $800K each time for their troubles.

Win most games, make $800K per game, traditional footy atmosphere, community presence... no brainer.

That should be us! Linton Street was far and away the best developed suburban ground decades ago. We should be playing home games at our home ground... just like the Hillbillies do.

It does not have to happen overnight, but it must happen if we are to compete on and off the field! The Hillbillies show that it can happen. :idea:

We can rightly debate the short term priorities, but I can not see a more important long term, big picture priority than getting the club back to Moorabbin... training, social... and playing.
Well Dave, the "hillbillies" showed us that it can happen...in Geelong.

How much would a similar stadium cost at Moorabbin? I think that every member would need a couple of poker machines for that to happen. But I'm happy to be proved wrong on that.

I also don't have a problem with Seaford. As players come to the club now, I'm sure it's not an issue for them.
My grandfather painted the rooms at Moorabbin when the club first moved in. Pretty sure that his handy work is still visible today.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:At the end of last century the Hillbillies were millions in debt, were playing home games on their shanty town Kardinia Park dung heap, their captain and their coach (that'd be Ayres, and is why I never want him anywhere near our club :evil: ) jumped ship, c/f hanging fat when their club really needed them.

You don't seem to realise Geelong is one of the biggest regional cities in the country, not just a suburb. I guarantee St Kilda will never play senior games at Moorabbin again, ever!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Not convinced about Moorabbin. A few other priorities.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

satchmo wrote:Well Dave, the "hillbillies" showed us that it can happen...in Geelong.

How much would a similar stadium cost at Moorabbin? I think that every member would need a couple of poker machines for that to happen. But I'm happy to be proved wrong on that.

I also don't have a problem with Seaford. As players come to the club now, I'm sure it's not an issue for them.
My grandfather painted the rooms at Moorabbin when the club first moved in. Pretty sure that his handy work is still visible today.
A huge good onya to your granddad, 'mo. :D I bet he probably helped with the by-hand removal of all the stones and pebbles from the playing surface also.

The first thing that really pisses me off (as I've posted before) is that we had the ground built, ready to go!!! Went from (finally) being a power club, to broke..., to almost extinct doing so too. Only to bulldoze it!!! :x

Biggest administration error in the history of the league! (I'd happily have us in Effn'dope's current 'situation' if it meant we still had Moorabbin up and running as an AFL venue.) :evil: :evil: :evil:

But at least we still have the lease. :D The money to rebuild, in stages, would come from sponsorship, the league, creative submission writing... just like the Hillbillies did. (Being conservative... six homes games times $500K is $3mil a year to make some payments with.) And as I've posted before... if we pray really really hard (yep, including all my militant atheist mates on SS :wink: ) for Oz to land the FIFA World Cup... problem solved... :idea:

So of course it's not QED stuff, let alone possible to happen overnight (though see my second paragrah :x ), but it really needs to happen (see plenty of my posts, including just above :wink: ), and it can happen. :idea:

Bring back the Animal Enclosure!!!

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:You don't seem to realise Geelong is one of the biggest regional cities in the country, not just a suburb. I guarantee St Kilda will never play senior games at Moorabbin again, ever!
Hi Bernard, I totally realise the 'regional city' thing. However, our bayside heartland area is larger again... considerably.

I would also say that our supporter base is larger than theirs... considerably. (Ok, unfortunately it also seems more 'latent'... considerably. :( )

But Bernard, what reason/s bring you to such a definitive opinion re our ever playing at Moorabbin again??? :?

We built-up that stadium at fairly short notice back in the '60s. No reason we can't do it again. As I've posted several times before (including just above)... little over a decade ago the Hillbillies, regional city status or not, were in a far worse state that we are now... what I'm talking about is very possible... and considering our Docklands rort c/f with their $800K per game Kardinia Park deal... it's simply a must... a no-brainer.

And again, what is most tragic, we had the ground, we should be playing home games there right now! :x

If we had been playing home games against low-drawing clubs at Moorabbin c/f Docklands these last few years, we'd have been making money, instead of paying out money to buy the ground for the AFL, and hence for the other 17 clubs! :idea: :evil: And I don't reckon we'd have lost that many of those Moorabbin games either... :twisted:

kalsaint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
dragit wrote:Geelong is further away from Melbourne's coffee shops and nightclubs, they are doing fine.
That's because it's based in the heartland of where the club is and represents - the town of GEELONG. Not sure if their fans would appreciate them being located in Melbourne. Would be about as popular with their fans as when they had to play games at Waverley.

Come on, let's be honest here. The Seaford move has proved to be an absolute disaster. I am yet to hear one person say anything posotive about it since the move two years ago. TWO YEARS AGO, no less. It's in a dreadful location. The club should have at least pushed for the Junction Oval when it decided to relocate, not the Bermuda f****** Triangle.

Please, tell how there is a future for us at Seaford. Enlighten me!
Well I couldn't really care too much on the Victorian location but we need success or this might become an interstate option. That would p1ss me off.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Seaford. Everyone moans about it, without giving a valid reason.
GT on twitter, says Seaford should never have happened. No reason given, we just have to trust him. It's no good because, it's just, no good. :? :(
Maybe it's "the vibe" as asserted by the clown lawyer in The Castle.

Travel time?
New coach is in Park Orchards; according to one story, "40 mins from Seaford via Eastlink".
Roberton is "up the road" from Seaford.
Anyone drafted to the Saints should maybe find a rental or share with some team-mates within easy driving distance. Seems simple.
No "soul"? That's purely subjective.
Nobody explains why it's "unpopular" so unless u wanna INVENT a reason, STFU

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee