Emma Quayle Draft Summary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Emma Quayle Draft Summary

All clubs, quite useful, no spin ...

"Still, three picks inside 20 has left them in a very good position. The club's still light on for talls at either end, but there should be no urgency on that front: there are some very good talls on the way next year, and if the Saints finish in the bottom few clubs again they'll have access to one of the best.There should will be more midfielders to pick from, at each pick. Zach Merrett's foot skills will appeal, they've been linked to Jarman Impey, a super-quick small forward/midfielder, and Billy Hartung and Lewis Taylor could come into play. Pick three is a tough one, too. Jack Billings could end up the best player from this group; he's a game-shaper. Matt Scharenberg sets games up, James Aish would give them poise, while Kade Kolodjashnij and Marcus Bontempelli can run."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z2kkggJma3

Always loyal
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Emma Quayle Draft Summary

I did a phantom top ten with one of my kids yesterday for the NAB auskick promo and I ended up thinking it wasn't as easy as I first thought. I eventually came around to Billings as he's the best chance of being something special to me. Scharenberg is still a favourite but the stress fractures have lost some of his appeal.

I watched the AFL draftees videos and Zach Merrett interviews really well and is a solid player with great ability to set up play.

Jarman Impey is a little excitement machine and would love a bit of freakish skills and pace at the Saints.

Hard to go past any of Crouch, Acres, Dumont etc though if still there. On rookies does anyone know much about Ziggy Alwan from Frankston s VFL team? I saw him in one game and he looked like an oversized Saad and he's nominated for the draft. Would he be a good rookie. The highlights look pretty good too.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/ziggie-alwan

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Surely if we wanted a pocket rocket only one of Taylor, Impey or Hurtung would come to us. Judging from what she says, Acres, Dumont and Dunstan may all be around our pick 18/19, so I'd take a little from column a and a little from column b as my guess.

What I'd personally want is Acres and one of Dumont/Dunstan unless someone like the Berg somehow fell (as if). Sounds like Billings is already called out providing GWS don't spring a surprise.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SuperDuper
Club Player

If the saints had decided she would know it and say it..

Notice she says that GWS will definitely take Boyd and Kelly.. Does not even find it worthwhile to go through options for them..

But she does not know who saints will take... only gives her view on the players..

Sounds to me saints are either:
1. tight lipped, or
2. Still processing their options

Billings and Sharenburg do seem the most likely.. most people seem to rate them highest. I believe her when she says the only others in the game are Aish and KK

Sharenburg stress fractures are irrelavent, if we think he is best available we wont overlook him just because he may miss the first couple of games in 2014... notice Quayle gives this little/no weight.. just HS attempted sensationalism saying he will slide

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

If Dees are interviewing him there is some truth to him sliding.

I do wonder what effect Richos intel has on our decisions if any. I dare say we were tight lipped not having a coach in place, and there is so much water to go under the bridge for 18/19 it's not like we will be in a position to decide. I just hope we don't go the tall option, we need three mids

Strength through Loyalty
SuperDuper
Club Player

St Ick wrote:If Dees are interviewing him there is some truth to him sliding.
Doesnt that just say they are being thorough?

i doubt our new coach decides who we take at 3. we have a recruiting team. this is their job.

/

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:

i doubt our new coach decides who we take at 3. we have a recruiting team. this is their job.

Trout spoke to Longer and his family in 2011 with our first pick being 25. He went at 8 and was never going to get to our pick.

/

Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:

Trout spoke to Longer and his family in 2011 with our first pick being 25. He went at 8 and was never going to get to our pick.

/[/quote]

Saintsational Legend

Richardson will have no say on who the Saints take

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Richardson will have no say on who the Saints take

I hope you are right. it would be a bad way to start if he did. Pelchan should have no say either. It should be Elshaug and his crew only.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I hope you are right. it would be a bad way to start if he did. Pelchan should have no say either. It should be Elshaug and his crew only.
I'm tipping "ALL" of them will have an input into who we draft

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Gershwin
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Grant Thomas certainly delegated that responsibility to his recruiting staff. He was a great Manager.

summertime and the living is easy ........
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The coach, would and should have input....

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The coach, would and should have input....
He's been there 2 minutes. What does he know about the list?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Gershwin
Club Player

The degree of input would be interesting. 'I want Billings' or 'I want an outside-mid' or 'I don't care that you have seen 60 TAC cup matches this year and I have seen none I want .......' May as well do away with the recruiting manager and read Emma Quayle.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

You all know that when the time comes to announce who we pick with pick 3 (and any pick) we will umm and arr for our full quota of time, shuffle Bevo's pages and notes and then finally pick someone. It's the same every year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SuperDuper
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
He's been there 2 minutes. What does he know about the list?
the list is irrelavent at pick 3.
It is best available.. Pelchin and Elshaugh have both stated that.

So: what does Richo know about best available??

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i would hope so....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Siposstar#2
Club Player

I've changed my mind about 3 times but I'm now firmly set on billings.
Game changers are hard to come by. I feel like it's what we really missed during our premiership tilts. Billings could do for us what chapman did against us in 09.

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Richo knows the Powers draft strategy, and the Saints have guaranteed them that Richo will not divulge this.

So Richo will not be able to make any specific recommendations on individual players. So by logical extension all Richo would be able to do is make suggestions to the recruitment team on the type of players that the list needs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Richo knows the Powers draft strategy, and the Saints have guaranteed them that Richo will not divulge this.

So Richo will not be able to make any specific recommendations on individual players. So by logical extension all Richo would be able to do is make suggestions to the recruitment team on the type of players that the list needs.

So if they take Scharenberg or Aish with pick 3 will Kochie do his block on TV again even though their pick is about 10 picks later?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:

I saw this, but Ports strategy come drafting should mean sfa as we are out of the draft by the time they start. I really don't understand how this works, can someone enlighten me?

Strength through Loyalty
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I saw this, but Ports strategy come drafting should mean sfa as we are out of the draft by the time they start. I really don't understand how this works, can someone enlighten me?
We have different needs and have a list in a different spot.

What the Power do does not and definitely should not influence anything at all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Bleating from puffed up idiots. One decent season out of the last 5 years and Kochie thinks they are Manchester United. Gee they must have so many special secrets to keep.

SuperDuper
Club Player

gringo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

So if they take Scharenberg or Aish with pick 3 will Kochie do his block on TV again even though their pick is about 10 picks later?
The issue with Port is clearly pick 21.... they wont want Richo telling us who they plan to pick at 21, as our 18/19 are just prior to that...

If he has any knowledge on pick 3 to share... then that does not affect Port.. So he will not be under a gag for that one....But there is no reason port would have done extensive research on pick 3 prospects