The timing of the hire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The timing of the hire

I don't understand the objections to our timing. Kochie's upset because we stole one of their coaches so late in the process. This follows on from Caro's article suggesting Richmond were unhappy about us looking at Williams. It's madness. We're not on the verge of finals as North were when they hired Scott. We're six or seven weeks after the GF. Football isn't going to be played for a long time. Lists have yet to be finalised and the draft hasn't even happened yet. If any training has been done it's only the very preliminary stages. Kochie's probably posturing in the hopes of getting some form of compensation. Even still, the objection is bizarre. It's an assistant role. Go fill it. You have literally months to do so.

The other oddity is the proliferation of 'director of coaching' roles. Last I checked that was a fictional position invented so Eddie could fire Mick without getting hanged. Now Kochie is trying to imply the role is real, Richardson is in it and it's a sideways move for Richardson to take a senior job. Somebody has to put a stop to this nonsense. I don't care if it's the AFL or the AFLCA or anyone. There is one senior coach at a club. Any other coaches are assistants. Any distinction beyond that is a symbolic gesture. We don't owe Port Adelaide squat and we wouldn't have owed Richmond squat. The reality is, a highly respected senior assistant could get poached at any time. If Port's coaching structure is so imbalanced that they can't afford to lose an assistant, then Kochie needs to fix up his own backyard. Hire an assistant director of coaching and a special advisor to the junior executive director of vice-coaching. Invent as many titles as you need to. Senior coaching roles take priority.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: The timing of the hire

I think Kochie feels he needs to be in the media talking tough and sticking up for his team.
Probably doesnt mean it. Just part of the job/show biz.

saintnick12
Club Player

I understand why he kicked up a fuss. That it's still going on so many hours later is the part that concerns me.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
oldie60
Club Player

Its so typical of us, we have a vision one of which we have no real clue. I wish our President or board would grandstand when we get done over. Did anyone say anything when RL left. We had ample time to get it right but according to our review everything was hunky dory but the review was ongoing and we decided to sack SW for whatever reason a few weeks later. Then we set up a committee of select people to find the best person available and hear we are not talking to all available people and have narrowed it down to three one of which now has fallen by the wayside as probably money was the issue. We then convince a guy we knocked back a couple of years ago to have a chat. Where were the other two contenders they had narrowed it down to? With all due respect to Alan Richardson would you want to work for such a disfunctional rabble.Good luck if he gets the job but again we are the masters of mediocre performances behind the scenes.Maybe we need another review to review the reviewees.

wolfpup
Club Player

i am slightly baffled as to what any of the fuss is about.

actually am pleased by the st.kilda smokescreen in the past 2 weeks with our secret dealings with richardson and no word of it until richardson was spotted in melbourne yesterday and people were putting 2 and 2 together, including port adelaide.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:Its so typical of us, we have a vision one of which we have no real clue. I wish our President or board would grandstand when we get done over. Did anyone say anything when RL left. We had ample time to get it right but according to our review everything was hunky dory but the review was ongoing and we decided to sack SW for whatever reason a few weeks later. Then we set up a committee of select people to find the best person available and hear we are not talking to all available people and have narrowed it down to three one of which now has fallen by the wayside as probably money was the issue. We then convince a guy we knocked back a couple of years ago to have a chat. Where were the other two contenders they had narrowed it down to? With all due respect to Alan Richardson would you want to work for such a disfunctional rabble.Good luck if he gets the job but again we are the masters of mediocre performances behind the scenes.Maybe we need another review to review the reviewees.
You should take heart in how aggressive we were in getting Richardson. He has now proved himself at port, but hadnt when we hired SW. If you havent noticed, our new pres
is always on the front foot and not afraid to tell the media if they have got it wrong.

or you can just run around shouting the sky is falling, which I am sure you enjoy greatly.

Grow a pair

mullet
Saintsational Legend

wolfpup wrote:i am slightly baffled as to what any of the fuss is about.

actually am pleased by the st.kilda smokescreen in the past 2 weeks with our secret dealings with richardson and no word of it until richardson was spotted in melbourne yesterday and people were putting 2 and 2 together, including port adelaide.
me too.

Should be proud of the club. And thank god it didnt leak out.

I love the new attitude , ducks on a pond, look like we are gliding but underneath we are paddling like crazy. Same with the trade period. Everyone said we were idiots, then one brave media person went, hang on, they have done well, and we ended up being the best.

I havent been this excited for ages, cant wait for season, and Longer is my new favorite player.

oldie60
Club Player

mullet wrote:
oldie60 wrote:Its so typical of us, we have a vision one of which we have no real clue. I wish our President or board would grandstand when we get done over. Did anyone say anything when RL left. We had ample time to get it right but according to our review everything was hunky dory but the review was ongoing and we decided to sack SW for whatever reason a few weeks later. Then we set up a committee of select people to find the best person available and hear we are not talking to all available people and have narrowed it down to three one of which now has fallen by the wayside as probably money was the issue. We then convince a guy we knocked back a couple of years ago to have a chat. Where were the other two contenders they had narrowed it down to? With all due respect to Alan Richardson would you want to work for such a disfunctional rabble.Good luck if he gets the job but again we are the masters of mediocre performances behind the scenes.Maybe we need another review to review the reviewees.
You should take heart in how aggressive we were in getting Richardson. He has now proved himself at port, but hadnt when we hired SW. If you havent noticed, our new pres
is always on the front foot and not afraid to tell the media if they have got it wrong.

or you can just run around shouting the sky is falling, which I am sure you enjoy greatly.

Grow a pair
The sky ain't falling there's just a black whole that stays permanently over us. More than happy for Richardson to coach us and he will be successful given the correct support mechanism.Just have to worry about the clowns within that system.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree VS, what a colossal beat up…

Is now really worse than say leading into the finals this year with Port playing?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Agree VS, what a colossal beat up…

Is now really worse than say leading into the finals this year with Port playing?

And thats the reason they stopped it. Lets face it if it was the other way around there would be a 10 page thread saying Port are pathetic. It isnt ideal timing and we rightly copped it in the media today even though they said Richardson should be let go.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I heard on the news tonight that we're in crisis. If I am to believe the news and we are in crisis, I'm expecting the club to fold in the coming weeks.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

And thats the reason they stopped it. Lets face it if it was the other way around there would be a 10 page thread saying Port are pathetic. It isnt ideal timing and we rightly copped it in the media today even though they said Richardson should be let go.
We were painted as incompetent when Lyon was snatched from us, now somehow we are also incompetent for pulling a similar move…

Who cares what everyone thinks really, as long as we have the right bloke.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We were painted as incompetent when Lyon was snatched from us, now somehow we are also incompetent for pulling a similar move…

Who cares what everyone thinks really, as long as we have the right bloke.
I've got not problem with that. But let's remember that's the exact rebuttal that the Bomber supporters used (and their club) when they hired Hird and Thompson. It would pay for some ppl to soften their stance on other clubs dealings if they want credibility on these things.

The bombers - dirty lying manipulative scum. Same goes for Hird and Thompson. Lied to everyone throughout the process. Ruined another clubs finals campaign.

The saints - clever, ruthless, single-minded. Got their man and to hell what others think. Richardson? He didn't lie. He just didn't tell the whole truth. And why would he be honest under those circumstances? Port can jam it. Who cares if all the good assistants are already taken and this disrupts their entire footy program probably more now than at the end of the year.

I wonder if anyone sees the irony?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I wonder if anyone sees the irony?
I see it but…

I think Richardson was telling the truth… in that he thought the job was already going to Williams so "he wasn't interested" and fair enough. When he realised that it was a 'live' job he changed his mind.

Also I don't think we ever made it a secret that we were chasing people for the role.

Essendon are lying scumbags, we have seen that over and over.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Posted this on another thread, but reckon it's also relevant here. Thomas is realistic :

Saw an interview with Keith Thomas the Port president on Fox Sports and he summed it up. He wasn't actually having a go at the Saints. He said something close to, "It's an industry wide problem. We're just about to start full pre-season and we're now without a director of coaching. And there's a snowball effect. Because we'll go out and look for the best individual to fit our needs."

And right there is a realistic, no whinging assessment of the reality of the situation. It's dog eat dog. Every club is out to get the best result for themselves. Port will now go and seek to replace Richardson with someone of equal calibre whether it's to the detriment of another club or not.
Sees beyond Caro's parochial slant dressed up as hard hitting journalism and gives an honest assessment of the competition wide climate when it comes to seeking pivotal staff.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Posted this on another thread, but reckon it's also relevant here. Thomas is realistic :

Saw an interview with Keith Thomas the Port president on Fox Sports and he summed it up. He wasn't actually having a go at the Saints. He said something close to, "It's an industry wide problem. We're just about to start full pre-season and we're now without a director of coaching. And there's a snowball effect. Because we'll go out and look for the best individual to fit our needs."

And right there is a realistic, no whinging assessment of the reality of the situation. It's dog eat dog. Every club is out to get the best result for themselves. Port will now go and seek to replace Richardson with someone of equal calibre whether it's to the detriment of another club or not.
Sees beyond Caro's parochial slant dressed up as hard hitting journalism and gives an honest assessment of the competition wide climate when it comes to seeking pivotal staff.
What are they going to do though? Have a window when all appointments can be made and none outside of that?
Just like the real world all clubs will have different timelines for when they need new staff.

This is the off season after all, I think it would be worse losing a key staff member as you were running into the finals… which happens pretty often.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

David Kochhead.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!