Matt Scharenberg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spot on
Club Player

Re: Matt Scharenberg

on the herald sun there is a 'pick me' on jack billings that will most likely be up tonight, im looking forward to seeing it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
It seems to be common knowledge now that GWS will select Kelly with pick 2. And they don't have any reason to lie about their intentions holding those two picks and then their next at pick 14.

Kelly looks a little outside for my liking and Aish doesn't seem to get a lot of the ball. For those reasons I'd have them both on the lower end of the top 5. Boyd, Sharenberg, Billings, Kelly and then Aish.

I reckon we are getting Billings for sure. Dont like it but I reckon there is no way we will get Sharenberg. The pies will get him.
I agree. Everything I'm reading from those in the know (Emma Quayle, Shifter and Callum Twomey) have us linked with Billings. When Bains was asked on TWR about the top few selections he flat out said Boyd and Kelly will be at GWS so they wouldn't even be on our radar (we all knew that about Boyd months ago).

I really rate Billings, he offers a point of difference in a few key areas. Elite skills, fantastic mark for his size and match-winning ability. I guess we wait and see if that translates to AFL level but I suspect it will. The other question mark is if he can become a midfielder. I think he can but I wouldn't be unhappy if he doesn't. He'd be the type of forward that regularly gets 20+ disposals and has a say in plenty of goals whether setting them up or kicking them himself. I'd be close to equally as happy with Sharenberg or Billings at #3.

Im an Aish man. A pure mid. Small forwards dont work in ordinary sides and I know we will eventually come good again but I worry about Billings whan we are really struggling. Milne has been a star for years and because of how much we struggled this year looked ordinary. Imagine how hard it will be for Billings in the next 2 to 3 years. Im also of the school that mids win games these days. The rest of the team rely on how good or bad your mids are.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Im an Aish man. A pure mid. Small forwards dont work in ordinary sides and I know we will eventually come good again but I worry about Billings whan we are really struggling. Milne has been a star for years and because of how much we struggled this year looked ordinary. Imagine how hard it will be for Billings in the next 2 to 3 years. Im also of the school that mids win games these days. The rest of the team rely on how good or bad your mids are.

I use to be on the Aish bandwagon but for me he's been underwhelming this year. He has had his injury concerns but I reckon there's more to it. Another thing about Aish, I don't see him as a pure midfielder. Not the type that can go into the middle and change a game anyway. I see him more as a creme on top kinda guy that will play most of his footy on a back flank or wing. I just can't see him transitioning into an inside midfielder. I reckon Kelly will develop more inside than Aish. Very nice player though just not in the best three IMO.

I wouldn't compare Milne with Billings. They're not similar types IMO. While I admit Milne has added a few extra strings to his bow in the last three years (since Roo had the bad hammy injury). I still see Milne as a one-trick pony. An old fashioned small forward who plays deep and is that natural crumber. Billings on the other hand looks more like a young Dangerfield (when he played exclusively forward) where he is a real marking threat up forward and is athletically gifted (something Milne is not). Schnieder is another worthy comparison however Schnieder rarely having a full pre-season has hampered his endurance to become a midfielder.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Eastern wrote:
My Top 5

Boyd

Kelly

Scharenberg

Billings

Aish

Anyone who can accurately pick #2-#5 in order is A VERY GOOD GUESS

One that I'd like to see slide to #18 is Sheed !!
It seems to be common knowledge now that GWS will select Kelly with pick 2. And they don't have any reason to lie about their intentions holding those two picks and then their next at pick 14.

Kelly looks a little outside for my liking and Aish doesn't seem to get a lot of the ball. For those reasons I'd have them both on the lower end of the top 5. Boyd, Sharenberg, Billings, Kelly and then Aish.

I reckon we are getting Billings for sure. Dont like it but I reckon there is no way we will get Sharenberg. The pies will get him.
Stands to reason, especially if you think pick 6 comes before pick 3

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Stands to reason, especially if you think pick 6 comes before pick 3

Well it must in this case because i reckon both predictions will be right. We arent used to you saying anything of note. Do have anything at all on this? Surprise us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I got what you said plugger. We'll overlook Sharenberg and the Pies will pounce.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I got what you said plugger. We'll overlook Sharenberg and the Pies will pounce.
if we overlook him then obviously we didn't rate him.... no loss

I'll go on what the club does rather than the word of someone who continually has to plead his Bona Fides

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I got what you said plugger. We'll overlook Sharenberg and the Pies will pounce.

I'll go on what the club does rather than the word of someone who continually has to plead his Bona Fides
We may as well not have an opinion then. Why bother having a discussion forum?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I agree. Everything I'm reading from those in the know (Emma Quayle, Shifter and Callum Twomey) have us linked with Billings. When Bains was asked on TWR about the top few selections he flat out said Boyd and Kelly will be at GWS so they wouldn't even be on our radar (we all knew that about Boyd months ago).

I really rate Billings, he offers a point of difference in a few key areas. Elite skills, fantastic mark for his size and match-winning ability. I guess we wait and see if that translates to AFL level but I suspect it will. The other question mark is if he can become a midfielder. I think he can but I wouldn't be unhappy if he doesn't. He'd be the type of forward that regularly gets 20+ disposals and has a say in plenty of goals whether setting them up or kicking them himself. I'd be close to equally as happy with Sharenberg or Billings at #3.
I really really hope we get Billings. Goal kicking forward who can play mid field is stamped all over him. He's the 'match-winner' type IMHO.

That said, as Old Mate implied... Shazza' would be a bloody good consolation prize though.

No(!) and no(!) to Kelly and Aish. Highly skilled, but too lightly framed to impact in the AFL... think Aaron Fiora...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I use to be on the Aish bandwagon but for me he's been underwhelming this year. He has had his injury concerns but I reckon there's more to it. Another thing about Aish, I don't see him as a pure midfielder. Not the type that can go into the middle and change a game anyway. I see him more as a creme on top kinda guy that will play most of his footy on a back flank or wing. I just can't see him transitioning into an inside midfielder. I reckon Kelly will develop more inside than Aish. Very nice player though just not in the best three IMO.

I wouldn't compare Milne with Billings. They're not similar types IMO. While I admit Milne has added a few extra strings to his bow in the last three years (since Roo had the bad hammy injury). I still see Milne as a one-trick pony. An old fashioned small forward who plays deep and is that natural crumber. Billings on the other hand looks more like a young Dangerfield (when he played exclusively forward) where he is a real marking threat up forward and is athletically gifted (something Milne is not). Schnieder is another worthy comparison however Schnieder rarely having a full pre-season has hampered his endurance to become a midfielder.
Dal and Joey never really transitioned to inside mids either but both were elite mids. Aish has elite kicking skills and exceptional decision making much like Dal - but with Montagna's ability to run and chase. If Aish slides to Gold Coast at 5, then I'd be willing to bet that once Gazza retires that Aish will start collecting really high disposal numbers because he will have a quality midfield to feed him. Aish, Omeara, Martin, bennel, Swallow .. if that happens they will be very very good.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Why ARGUE? We're all GUESSING !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I like Aish but if his junior and SANFL career is anything to go by he won't be a ball winner. Joey and Dal Santo when in form are ball winners and can play inside very well. Aish more your smooth moving outside mid. Perhaps he goes on to play a similar role to a Daniel Wells but he's not in the same conversation as Ablett or O'Meara.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

We may as well not have an opinion then. Why bother having a discussion forum?
To voice opinions, we don't have to agree with them though and we can definitely voice that bit and then sit back and watch how people react

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: To voice opinions, we don't have to agree with them though and we can definitely voice that bit and then sit back and watch how people react
If you are not bobmurray, then you two should really catch up and voice no opinion at all.

Though I am sure you are the same person.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He looks a great player...

Doesn't fit our needs, except being a gun!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Wayne42 wrote: To voice opinions, we don't have to agree with them though and we can definitely voice that bit and then sit back and watch how people react
If you are not bobmurray, then you two should really catch up and voice no opinion at all.

You have no trouble voicing your opinions....often

And No...i am not him

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
dragit wrote:

You have no trouble voicing your opinions....often

And No...i am not him
twins?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I know what you are saying, but Billings isn't a Milne type small forward who plays deep.
He plays as a high half forward who runs between the arcs and drifts deep forward.
I reckon he is very similar to Stevie J.
I have watched him a bit, admittedly on TV, but I like him a lot, I reckon he will be good for us.
It's been a while since we have had a smart young footballer...

I look at the Hawks list, and dispel your theory of top drafted mids...their highest is Lewis at 7....

I want Billings.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Billings looks awesome.
Looks like a marc murphy to me (not as big or tough as stevie j)
I think billings is a mid who played fwd in 2013 only because he had bursitis

Still reckon Scharenberg slightly ahead though....

Ill be happy with either but if Scharenberg slips to pick 5 or 6 someone will get a gun. He could easily be number 1.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone read footy tragic's draft top 50 over on Bigfooty?

The level of detail and work is truly staggering. Has to be seen to be believed...

Anyways he has Boyd Sheed Scharenberg Kelly Billings - as his order of rating - this is based on his ranking of ability - not the order he thinks they will actually go. He has Aish at 12.

Anyway - check it out for yourselves if you have a lazy few hours to spare...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/f ... e.1040150/

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Has anyone read footy tragic's draft top 50 over on Bigfooty?

The level of detail and work is truly staggering. Has to be seen to be believed...
Yeah, it's a good one.

He doesn't think much of Hartung:

"He backs himself to run through and around anyone and I think what was his greatest asset in the U/18’s might be his greatest downfall in the AFL. Hartung does not care, he’ll just take you on, which is great and shows confidence, but at what cost? He very much puts the blinkers on and again if you want to compare him to Brent Harvey, it just won’t cut it. Hartung’s finishing skills are nowhere near Harvey’s and nor is his game sense or ability to bring teammates into the game. He plays the game likes it’s all about Billy and that will only be successful in the lower grades, especially when you’re standing at 178cm and 67kg."

Sounds a fair bit like Tommy Ledger.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

guy at my work is mattys uncle
says he gave up a promising career in baseball in the states to stick with footy in australia
couldnt understand it himself as the money would be crazy over there, but said the kid absolutely loves his footy and is a versatile player that can go back and forward
also said he thought there was quite a few better players that will go before him but is having a stab and says he should go top 5 for sure
be nice if he comes to the saints
i might be able to scam some free s*** :P

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Scharenburg could be a replacement for Sam Fisher and Billings could be the next Stevie J.

I would be happy with either of those results from a pick 3.

Megamaguire
Club Player

What a tough nut to crack is this one . No doubt in years to come Billings and Shazza ( throw in Aish & Kel too) will be compared in regard to what they have given to their prospective clubs.
Just like Richmond overlooking Buddy for ............ can't remember his name. Judd v's Ball is the other comparison that comes to mind - Ball the real solid mid and Judd the sprint and carry with after-burners .

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:

yep...just like the club didn't rate roo's cousin, jack, rioli or darling......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.