WHY did Westaway last as long as he did?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHY did Westaway last as long as he did?

dragit wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:From what I have seen of Summers so far, he doesn't seem to be an enigmatic star media performer.
But he does seem to have some very clear aspirations for our club and will move mountains to achieve them.
He has a sharp intellect and is a doer.
I think he is exactly what we need.
Doer? Here are some of the mountains that he's moved with his sharp intellect Enrico...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83818&p=1414212#p1414212

Based on history, I think he is exactly what we have had too much of. :idea:
Can you pull up the share price history of the other 17 presidents companies too Dave?

You seem to love this reference, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to presiding over a football club.
Dragit, I don't think you'll find any current CEO's of publicly listed companies who are also heading a board of an AFL Club.

McGuire, Kernahan, Koch and Brayshaw certainly don't.

The coot at Adelaide, Chapman, is CEO of St.George Bank but they're a subsidiary of Westpac and have been since Chapman's had the gig.

A number of them have non-executive directorships - Colless, Cransberg (WCE), Bartlett and the new bloke at Brisbane.

Shepherd at GWS (Abbott and Hockey's mate at the BCA) is Chairman of Transfield, but has no executive roles.

Richmond's new Pres is a lawyer (partner). Peter Gordon, likewise, but he left Slater and Gordon to pursue private interests around the time they listed on the ASX. Newbold at Hawthorn is a lawyer, as well, but also a director of a few companies - nothing public. Witheriff at the GCS's is also a lawyer, a managing partner with Minter Ellison.

Colin Carter at Geelong is probably the most qualified businessman of the lot, but only holds non-executive directorships (and has since he took over at GFC). Little is confined to non-executive roles, and has been since he left Toll.

Harris at Freo is in advertising, with a private firm.

It looks to me like Summers is the only current CEO of a publicly listed company. A very demanding domain, publicly listed companies.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Colin Carter made a name for himself as a consultant hence I wouldn't call him a real business person.

From what I recall he and his mate George Pappas tried to relaunch Georges department store back in the late 90s which was a major flop.

Most CEO's and C level executives are useless blood sucking parasites who destroy shareholder value.

Better to look up the BRW list of the top 500 private companies, Fast SMEs or even the young rich list if you want to find people who can actually run a real business and would have an idea on how to create real wealth.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Colin Carter made a name for himself as a consultant hence I wouldn't call him a real business person.

From what I recall he and his mate George Pappas tried to relaunch Georges department store back in the late 90s which was a major flop.

Most CEO's and C level executives are useless blood sucking parasites who destroy shareholder value.

Better to look up the BRW list of the top 500 private companies, Fast SMEs or even the young rich list if you want to find people who can actually run a real business and would have an idea on how to create real wealth.
Well said.

Corporate CEO's are masters of spin and self importance

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Colin Carter made a name for himself as a consultant hence I wouldn't call him a real business person.

If you start at the top of the BRW list of privateers, Pav, you get Gina Rinehart (a.k.a Rinehart the Hideous, as I coined her). She achieved her lofty status by inheriting dirt.

We need another list.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:

If you start at the top of the BRW list of privateers, Pav, you get Gina Rinehart (a.k.a Rinehart the Hideous, as I coined her). She achieved her lofty status by inheriting dirt.

We need another list.
It's not supposed to be list of the most ethical companies.

Anyway, paying workers $2 a day makes good business sense, especially when the owner can rake it in at $600 a second.

Profit over people; isn’t that what it’s all about? :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Lets not forget though, that on his watch we very, very nearly won two flags.
That was set up by Butters, for instance he hired Lyon.

kalsaint
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Good question. He always looked reluctant, and a bit irritated when the pressure was on. We don't have a supporter with the tools and will to become a strong effective President of the club. Or a figure who will get someone like that for us and convince that person to devote themselves. Too many factions and boys clubs. How else did Nettlefold get the gig on all that money? I'm not jealous of people on big money who get the job done, but it riles me when it doesn't.

Sounds like Netters fell on his sword given Caro's article. He was going to get shafted/boned anyway. Please can they get someone competent as CEO, and an inspirational Prez wouldn't go astray. Summers is an improvement but maybe still short of what we really need.
At the moment I am comfortable with Summers. His recent media showing wasn't popular but at least he has the focus to get the strategy done and have the club reviewed for improvements. He obviously not afraid to make the required change too. He obviously has followed (member) the club for over 40 years so I would expect him to be around for the long term, if needed. I will wait and see his future efforts and success in addressing future strategic outcomes.

On Nettlefold; he seems to have plenty of passion to meet the club goals and sees a bright future due to team development. If his work hours are so long perhaps he has been working at a lower level for far too long and should have looked at the alternatives here. At times the role should needs to dive down the org structure to lead change and ensure future club development. His main part to play with the footy department would be a disciplined approach to manage the processes to achieve shorter term accountabilities and goals. Surely his main focus is generally longer term based?

I was pretty annoyed to see him being pleased with the recent coaching tenure history saying 5 years was a good result during Ross's time. The trouble is that we should strive for more (5-10 years) and deliver 5 years as the standard. Without this we will always be in development and training in the basics and not likely to have success.

Without longer term club development (in all facets) the CEO is always going to get too involved in shorter tem footy matters. That generally should fall to the footy departments management role.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency