The Get Mark Williams Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

slider
Club Player

Re: The Get Mark Williams Thread

howlinwolf wrote:How would the Watters appointment of Ashley prescott stand ?
Will that be rescinded ?
Has he signed a contract? he was one of Cuddles crew, maybe it doesnt stand?

howlinwolf
Club Player

That's what I'm thinking. Did he have the authority to sign him from a legal standpoint ?
Is Ashley the first choice for the incoming coach ? It would be a massive coincindence if he were.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

From what I remember Williams put his hand up for the St Kilda coaching gig in 2006 but pulled out and at the time it was said he stuffed the club around.

I have no idea if Mark Williams is the right person for the job and he very well might be, but the club should consider all the best candidates available.

Pretty piss poor if they already have Williams in mind and are just going through a lengthy process for appearances sake.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
jaxons
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:Jaxons, you've said you think Choco will be the coach. Any predictions on the assistant ?
Purely speculatively speaking :-)

Aaron Hamill has joined full-time as an assistant coach.
Rest will come after Senior announcement.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:Jaxons, you've said you think Choco will be the coach. Any predictions on the assistant ?

Of course the new senior coach would have a fair say in the appointment of his most senior assistant(s)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Of course the new senior coach would have a fair say in the appointment of his most senior assistant(s)
Well apparently not as the decision has already been made to appoint Williams.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Choco has balls.

I'm not sure he'll listen but can and has worked well with Pelchen so is the only person for the job.

That's the only criteria relevant.

Cut the BS process crap and FFS appoint him NOW!

then when we win the flag he can say "(redacted in case it's baiting) you were WRONG!"
Would those be salty chocolate balls?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Reeks of "Get Blighty" for mine.

St Loxton
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Reeks of "Get Blighty" for mine.

my thoughts too, is he really going to be the one? i want the right candidate to really want the job with a passion.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:

my thoughts too, is he really going to be the one? i want the right candidate to really want the job with a passion.

Think it is a bit different. blight had retired. Williams is still coaching and still wants be a senior coach.

PJ
SS Life Member

Williams looks a good fit right at this moment in time. Experienced, strong personality, premiership experience as well as development experience (GWS & Richmond). Connelly said and I agree that a novice coach would be thrown to the wolves.

If he is a candidate then surely he'll be putting together a package as we speak regarding assistants and strategies. I actually think he will generate a bit of stability which would be gold for us.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:

I did as well but the key difference is that Choco has stayed in the game

stinger
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:How would the Watters appointment of Ashley prescott stand ?
Will that be rescinded ?
Has he signed a contract? he was one of Cuddles crew, maybe it doesnt stand?
i got the impression he had been cut already....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

well...hope you are right on the money this time too......love hammill....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Mark Williams, NO. Yes he is a premiership coach, but if Fraser Gehrig had not kicked his 100th goal in the Prelim it would be Grant Thomas as the premiership coach. My memories of him as a coach are of him accusing other teams of choking, and that is about it. And as I have previously posted, after our enormous success with Jewell, Jesalenko and Blight, why would we want another premiership coach?
I reckon it is perfect timing for Robert Harvey.
He has done two years with Brett Ratten, one with Ross Lyon, two with Nathan Buckley, has just been made the Senior Assistant Coach at Collingwood. Dany Frawley reckons Harvs is the way the Saints should go.
Robert Harvey, its your turn.
Mmm.. bold statement. That's a bit like Bulldogs supporters talking about how the would have won the Flag if Libba's point had've been a goal in the 97 prelim.

I remember being absolutely monstered by Brisbane in the first week of the finals that year, and can see how some of the brisbane bigger bodies would've been able to put a lot more physical pressure on us than they could against the older, more developed Port Adelaide.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
stevie wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Stevie... There is a saying.
"Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one"!
And you are entitled to yours.
The amount of negativity on this site baffles me.
Hey, I'm not knocking the guy, bro! Just pointing out what is pretty much the case. I wouldn't mind if he had a crack at coaching us. I like to look at events and break them down and analyse things that would've made them different. The 2007 Finals seriesis a good example actually. Port only finished 2nd and got a home final first up v the Eagles because the Eagles let the bummers score a few extra goals in the last qtr of the last home and away game, which was Tird and Sheedys swansong. We talk about sliding doors and stuff and the Cats would prolly still have won the flag, but it's very likely Port would not have been their opposition.

I've followed the Saints for over 40 years. What possible negativity could I aspire to?
If you are really analysing and breaking things down then you will see that his coaching performance in 2007 just to make the GF was one of his best of his career.
I suppose if Williams is given the gig then we will be hoping that 2007 wasn't his best. All I am hoping is that whatever is done it is done properly. Jaxons I am not sure how I feel about an influential supporter operating the way he is within our club. It makes me wonder how professional our club is managed. I am assuming that people in the club are channelling through you, and that is fine, manipulating the thinking of both sides is a common tactic and can be used to great effect however your self-proclaimed title as an "influential supporter" then makes me think how do you influence and what qualifications do you have to influence.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Choco had a peerless record against us. We rarely beat them when he was in charge. If that means a damn thing.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:When Ro$$ walked, the club appeared to be blindsided. This time, SW was lulled into a false sense of security "pres sat down and told me i was a long-term coach"
The whole time, they were plotting to get Chocko.
Pelchen was running all the trades. Ben, NDS, Savage, etc with meticulous planning.
The club already decided SW was gone, but kept it quiet to avoid scaring off the new arrivals.
Hard to attract a player without a coach.
Very cunning, sneaky and run with precision.
Players in, "tick" ; coach out "tick"
Chocko is ready. He was in the know the whole time.
Can work with the Pelch.
Will buy into the plan and embrace it.
That's similar to how Freo got Ro$$ and chopped Harvey.
We learnt to be ruthless just like them.
Jaxons says Chocko has the gig.
Club says "new coach in 4 weeks"
I reckon you could be on the money WS.
Sounds a feasible analogy to me.
Sort of explains Plympton's gaffe. The "only joking" explanation was never believable.
Sometimes I think we are happy to believe we are as hopeless as Joe public think we are.

and we all could be delusional to think that the saints had these plans all along.

sounds a bit too ruthless by us to imagine that hte saints knew what was going to happen over the past few weeks.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Loxton wrote:

Think it is a bit different. blight had retired. Williams is still coaching and still wants be a senior coach.
And is best mates with Pelchen.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Loxton wrote:

And is best mates with Pelchen.
This should not be underestimated.

We've now had 2 coaches leave while Pelchen has been at the club, one with rumblings that they didnt get along, the other with the headlines telling us they didnt get along.

If, and it appears to be the case, Pelchen has been given the "keys to the city" by the board, we need someone who can work with him, not work to bring him down.

We're going to go thru too much pain (heavy losses, losing club greats etc) to stuff up this rebuild, we need to get it right.

Kernal75
Club Player

I like the idea of a transition coach with R.Harvey as his senior assistant. Whether that is Choco Willams or another person remains to be seen. Williams has a great reputation for mentoring and developing young kids so he seems a good fit on paper. The next few years are instrumental to whether we succeed or not as we can't afford a situation where the young kids we have brough into the club, start to leave because we are not winning.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Wake up naysayers, Choco is the man for the job. He came to Collingwood because he (as a South Australian) wanted to captain a Victorian club to a Premiership, which he never achieved. I'm sure he'd salivate at the chance to coach a Victorian club to a Premiership, particularly a club's first Premiership in almost 50 years. I was struck when watching him as a GWS & Richmond assistant, struck by his passion and energy. These things tend to rub off. Also, there is the plain fact that history shows a Premiership Coach in his second job is usually a lot better. It's a no brainer, Choco is the man.

Then there is the fact that he ran rings around us when coaching Port, both the GT and Lyon coached teams.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

...and forget about copying Melbourne's nonsensical succession folly and it will be a tremendous folly, as it was at Collingwood.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:Wake up naysayers, Choco is the man for the job. He came to Collingwood because he (as a South Australian) wanted to captain a Victorian club to a Premiership, which he never achieved. I'm sure he'd salivate at the chance to coach a Victorian club to a Premiership, particularly a club's first Premiership in almost 50 years. I was struck when watching him as a GWS & Richmond assistant, struck by his passion and energy. These things tend to rub off. Also, there is the plain fact that history shows a Premiership Coach in his second job is usually a lot better. It's a no brainer, Choco is the man.

Then there is the fact that he ran rings around us when coaching Port, both the GT and Lyon coached teams.
No naysayer here MM.
I agree. Williams is the man for sure.
Watters was the wrong choice it turns out. He may have interviewed exceptionally well before he got the job but there were underlying issues.
Add that to the fact he was a novice coach and we were in need of a massive rebuild and it's no surprise it didn't work out.
Now that we are neck deep in the rebuild and have a very young list we need experience in the coaching dept.
Choco is great with younger players, has won a flag against odds and is passionate.
Ticks a lot of boxes right there.
I reckon we are lucky he is still available.

I not a fan of a succession plan with Harves as assistant to take over. Collingwood were in turmoil for a long time over this arrangement. I can read the headlines now if was to be us.
Just give Choco 3 years and see where we are then. If we are challenging then why would would we change coach ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Still have to go through a process, and see where his head and heart are at right now and going forward...

The blight experiment is surely a learning curve

He still needs to be the best candidate, past is past... He needs to outline his future plans