Roo To Remain Skipper!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Roo To Remain Skipper!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo To Remain Skipper!

What about Steven? He could be Captain in 2015.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why because he's the best player..... Not sure Jack is leadership material yet.... Reminds me of Joey at a younger age.... A touch cheeky and a bit of a lad.

Newnes and Ross have leadership written all over them....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You would think Geary is now next in line.

100 games
4th in b and f
Just about to become a gun player.

Austinnn
Club Player

I agree about Geary.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if we bought back duel or rotating captaincy while Roo is still playing so he can mentor the next Captain. It will be interesting to see which of the younger brigade, if any are promoted to the leadership group this year. With Pippa Grange onboard we could see some exciting changes taking place in how the club structures up it's leadership.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shows the lack of leaders if jack and geary are getting mentioned IMO of course.

saintnick12
Club Player

During the year I thought Joey might have been given it for say the next two years while we waited for the next lot to be ready. Obviously what happened at the end if the year will have hurt that aspiration. I never really saw mcevoy as captain.
I think Steven was being groomed, particularly given his prime role in the sorry video along side the captain and vice. But I think he is still a long way away from being ready. Even they way he described how nervous he was having to make a speech at the best and fairest, and needing Geary to keep him calm. He might be the best young player, but not a natural leader I don't think and may struggle with the media requirements. He might prove me wrong and grow into it. Who knows. Perhaps our next long term captain will come from our low draft picks over the next couple of years.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Silly to wait until his gone....

Swans, Brissy prepare well for life after veteran leaders.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Rooey is the OBVIOUS choice for 2014, and probably 2015. Beyond that we have emerging leaders in Jack Newnes & Seb Ross to consider, along with Jack Steven, Jaryn Geary and others. Two years is a long time and a lot can happen in that time. We could start by elevating Jack N & Seb to the leadership group for 2014, but that will probably get sorted in Colorado. The idea of co-captains (Rooey & Gears) for 2014 also appeals !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

...interesting comments in that hun article re sam fisher

"t Kilda yesterday said it did not have an issue with Fisher meeting with Richmond’s Dustin Martin in Bali in recent weeks.

It was reported the pair were sighted together, after St Kilda warned Fisher off an American holiday with Martin.

But St Kilda said yesterday while it had advised against a large group of St Kilda players heading to Las Vegas, it would not dictate who Fisher was friends with.

It had issues with a large trip to Las Vegas given St Kilda’s stated cultural problems, with the death of Port Adelaide’s John McCarthy also fresh in the minds of AFL club officials.

St Kilda believes Fisher can respond well next season after an injury-marred 2013 that saw him playing from Round 1 with a painful toe injury.

He had surgery in June to repair the issue after playing just nine games for the season.

But St Kilda’s confidence in him is reflected by the fact it is refusing to trade him to Greater Western Sydney in the Josh Bruce deal."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint-stu
Club Player

Jon Ralph wrote:... and Sam Fisher is seen as an unsuitable candidate given his off-field issues.
A little off topic, but I have heard of these "off field issues" a number of times, but never heard exactly what they are.

Why does everyone seem to know about the "off field issues" but never explicitly state them?

1ac46a38
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's clearly a "steady as you go" position. In our current on and off-field situation, the Clubs needs its best player and most experienced presenter, to head things up and show the younger guys the way forward.

I can't see anyone else ready to step into Nick's shoes just yet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Joey no chance.
Remember he will probably in a Crt room next year as a witness.

Also people bagging SW . I think we shouldnt forget the John McCarthy thibg.
Its too soon for players to go Vegas. If he just reminded of that i dont see a problem. Maybe they forgot .

I reckon Geary probably this year or next ywar for skipper. This year maybe too soon. Hes still only 25.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Joey no chance.
Remember he will probably in a Crt room next year as a witness.

Also people bagging SW . I think we shouldnt forget the John McCarthy thibg.
Its too soon for players to go Vegas. If he just reminded of that i dont see a problem. Maybe they forgot .

I reckon Geary probably this year or next year for skipper. This year maybe too soon. Hes still only 25.
But defintely see him getting the job next.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Geary as captain will be like Chris Newman for the tigers before Cotchin came along.. Average player to lead a poor team until a real star and leader emerges..

Personally think in 12-24 months Geary will struggle to hold his spot in the 22..

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Geary as captain will be like Chris Newman for the tigers before Cotchin came along.. Average player to lead a poor team until a real star and leader emerges..

Personally think in 12-24 months Geary will struggle to hold his spot in the 22..
Newman was clearly in their best 5 or so players for quite a while...He's getting on now but I reckon you might be better served comparing Gears with Harley or Maxwell for your analogy

And I disagree with your opinion on Gears spot in the team...you underestimate his character and his determination

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just a bit, steadily climbing in the B&F each year...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So who will be Roo's vice captain?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Geary as captain will be like Chris Newman for the tigers before Cotchin came along.. Average player to lead a poor team until a real star and leader emerges..

Not sure what is wrong with Chris Newman.

OK hes not a gun player but he did an admirable job with a young list when the side was crap. No shame there if Gears does something similar for 2 years.

The fact is Geary is our 4th best player - Our 2nd best player under 30 and is still only 25 and probably still improving.

In many ways the fact Gears is our 4th best player is a reflection of where we are at (and why I believe we will almost certainly finish bottom 4 next year) but thats certainly not Gears fault - hes done a manly job getting himself there from the Rookie list in a few years and should be applauded for his efforts.

For him to not be in our best 22 , that means 20 blokes would have to go past him in the next 2 years. Likelihood of that? barring injury - close to zero .

And to those who think our coach is no good and we should be challenging - Reality check is that Gears is our 4th best player (and 2nd best player under 30). Thats the fact of where our list is at. We need 3 years into the youngsters and some more high draft picks. If Gears is only our 10th best player in 3 years when hes 28 - we will have done very well indeed. It means 8 blokes have gone past him.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Not sure what is wrong with Chris Newman.

OK hes not a gun player but he did an admirable job with a young list when the side was crap. No shame there if Gears does something similar for 2 years.

The fact is Geary is our 4th best player - Our 2nd best player under 30 and is still only 25 and probably still improving.

In many ways the fact Gears is our 4th best player is a reflection of where we are at (and why I believe we will almost certainly finish bottom 4 next year) but thats certainly not Gears fault - hes done a manly job getting himself there from the Rookie list in a few years and should be applauded for his efforts.

For him to not be in our best 22 , that means 20 blokes would have to go past him in the next 2 years. Likelihood of that? barring injury - close to zero .

And to those who think our coach is no good and we should be challenging - Reality check is that Gears is our 4th best player (and 2nd best player under 30). Thats the fact of where our list is at. We need 3 years into the youngsters and some more high draft picks. If Gears is only our 10th best player in 3 years when hes 28 - we will have done very well indeed. It means 8 blokes have gone past him.
Our 4th best player? B&F results I assume.. I guess that means Baker was our best player a few years back in a team of Roo, Lenny, Dal, Chips etc.. Crowley Freo's best player with Pav, Fyfe, Mundy etc..

If Geary is our 4th best player, we are the worst side ever..

Middo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:You would think Geary is now next in line.

100 games
4th in b and f

With respect to Geary if he becomes captain we will be down the ladder a lot longer than I think.
He at best is a GOP and definatley not a midfielder as some suggest ...
Steven would not like the limelight that comes with the role , so hopefully we unearth a leader in the next couple of seasons..
My tip would be Jack Newnes...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:You would think Geary is now next in line.

100 games
4th in b and f

With respect to Geary if he becomes captain we will be down the ladder a lot longer than I think.
He at best is a GOP and definatley not a midfielder as some suggest ...
Steven would not like the limelight that comes with the role , so hopefully we unearth a leader in the next couple of seasons..
My tip would be Jack Newnes...
You may be right about Gears being a GOP. But hes still our 4th best player and 2nd best under 30.

Maybe you are right on Jack Newnes but he is really at least 3 years away and Roo cant keep going for 3 years.

(p.s I reckon Gears still has some improvement in him. Needs a bit more strength ).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Our 4th best player? B&F results I assume.. I guess that means Baker was our best player a few years back in a team of Roo, Lenny, Dal, Chips etc.. Crowley Freo's best player with Pav, Fyfe, Mundy etc..

So who is better than Geary right here right now? Name names. And zero points for 'past form'.

Geary is our 4 best player. 2nd best under 25.
And yes - people need to face up to the fact we don't have a very good team.
Can I remind you we finished 3rd last (ahead of two teams show are VFL standard).
People seem to be in serious denial about where we are actually at right here right now.

Certainly not our worst side ever though

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

So who is better than Geary right here right now? Name names. And zero points for 'past form'.

Geary is our 4 best player. 2nd best under 25.
And yes - people need to face up to the fact we don't have a very good team.
Can I remind you we finished 3rd last (ahead of two teams show are VFL standard).
People seem to be in serious denial about where we are actually at right here right now.

Certainly not our worst side ever though
Riewoldt, Steven, Armo, Montagna, Dempster, Schnieder, Roberton, Hayes off the top of my head, right now, not including Dal & Mcevoy, both clearly better.. And he'll be over taken by higher skill based players next season in Newnes, Lee, Webster, Ross, Siposs and wright, as well as our likely no.3 pick..