Watters' position is now untenable

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters' position is now untenable

The OtherThommo wrote:
I've also spent a lot of time recently trying to understand what's unfolding in the US Congress at the moment. Again, in short, the US and world economies are being held to ransom by a sectional, relatively minor, ideologically driven bloc of people who are under little threat of losing their jobs (because of the gerrymandered election districts in the House of Rep's). This group is significantly shy of the necessary capability to understand complexities like economies and global interdependence. But, they're hell bent on having a win, and don't care what they blow up to achieve their win (however pyhrric).

Narrow interests, differently vested than the greater good, are a pox on their House, and they ain't the only ones.

you should appreciate these comments then....

"A seemingly chastened Senator Crus undertook not to attempt to delay the passage of the legislation through the Senate – on the same day that the Texas newspaper that endorsed his candidacy last year published an editorial saying it wished it hadn't done so.

Speaking for the bill, Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell described it as 'far less that some had hoped for …[but it's necessary] for today.” Then, perhaps to make the hardheads feel better about their impotence, he added:

“[The Affordable Care Act] is ravaging our economy, killing jobs, driving up premiums … its disastrous rollout is a sign of worse things to come.”

Save for the reference to premiums, he might have been talking about the Republican drive to close Washington, especially when he branded the Democrat refusal to cave to republican demands as a 'stubborn ideological obsession.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/deal-struck ... z2hvX0IOVi

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
If I was managing the club I would respond as I do with my kids, punish both, the dobber and the offender.

that was also the go at my college...if you went dobbing to the brothers, you would be told to tell the person dobbed in that brother so ans so wanted to see both of you...then you would both get the cuts when you fronted up........do dobbing wasn't really a problem.........i am in favour of that happening here.......
All this does is discourage people from doing the right thing...

Why a large % of people will walk right past a violent crime and pretend they didn't see anything.

Dobbing has a place, right alongside having a set of morals.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
I've also spent a lot of time recently trying to understand what's unfolding in the US Congress at the moment. Again, in short, the US and world economies are being held to ransom by a sectional, relatively minor, ideologically driven bloc of people who are under little threat of losing their jobs (because of the gerrymandered election districts in the House of Rep's). This group is significantly shy of the necessary capability to understand complexities like economies and global interdependence. But, they're hell bent on having a win, and don't care what they blow up to achieve their win (however pyhrric).

Narrow interests, differently vested than the greater good, are a pox on their House, and they ain't the only ones.

you should appreciate these comments then....

"A seemingly chastened Senator Crus undertook not to attempt to delay the passage of the legislation through the Senate – on the same day that the Texas newspaper that endorsed his candidacy last year published an editorial saying it wished it hadn't done so.

Speaking for the bill, Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell described it as 'far less that some had hoped for …[but it's necessary] for today.” Then, perhaps to make the hardheads feel better about their impotence, he added:

“[The Affordable Care Act] is ravaging our economy, killing jobs, driving up premiums … its disastrous rollout is a sign of worse things to come.”

Save for the reference to premiums, he might have been talking about the Republican drive to close Washington, especially when he branded the Democrat refusal to cave to republican demands as a 'stubborn ideological obsession.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/deal-struck ... z2hvX0IOVi
An interesting sidelight to all this, Stinger, is that Cruz's wife works for Goldmann Sachs. Goldmann's have positioned themselves through the derivatives market to make a shirt load of dosh if the default happens. Relevant to Cruz's stance? No idea, but it shows just how complex the whole shebang really is. Prima facie it doesn't tell us much, but it does make you wonder about the influence exerted at various points in complex scenarios, especially when bundled up with all manner of motivations brought by various players with a stake.

The best book I read about what went on in the GFC was "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis (he wrote "Moneyball"). It was the best because he went below the financial mechanics and concentrated on some of the people involved. One of the very few who could see what was going to happen was a fella with Aspergers. The Aspergers gave him an ability to see through the human influence and interpret what was coming purely off the numbers. Those without his purity of capability got bogged in the psychology and politics, and sought to peddle their influence.

Human responses to stressful situations are usually fairly predictable. That's why we need Summers and the board to do their thing, to take control and lead.

Thus far, Summers is ticking lots of boxes, which is very promising.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:
maverick wrote:
If I was managing the club I would respond as I do with my kids, punish both, the dobber and the offender.

that was also the go at my college...if you went dobbing to the brothers, you would be told to tell the person dobbed in that brother so ans so wanted to see both of you...then you would both get the cuts when you fronted up........do dobbing wasn't really a problem.........i am in favour of that happening here.......
All this does is discourage people from doing the right thing...

Why a large % of people will walk right past a violent crime and pretend they didn't see anything.

Dobbing has a place, right alongside having a set of morals.

don't think we are talking about the same thing.......i'm talking about malicious dobbing......should have made myself clearer...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:don't think we are talking about the same thing.......i'm talking about malicious dobbing......should have made myself clearer...
Understood... cheers.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

some good points raised in this thread... at the start i was in the watters should be in control camp... but after reading.. i have to say you're either a company man or not... no i in team.. Watters has to follow what the club wants and deliver on the group direction.. so if he can't live like that he has to move on.

I like watters but i believe in group direction and harmony.. you can't have guys running their own show in a team... the whole thing breaks down.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

So if Pelchan is director of football and runs the show, does he take responsibility for the win-loss ratio ... or does that fall to the coach?

Who do we sack if things don't improve? Tweedledee or Tweedledumb?

repta
Club Player

Has anyone else heard the rumour going about regarding Robert Harvey and Danny Frawley being Coach and Senior Assistant?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:Has anyone else heard the rumour going about regarding Robert Harvey and Danny Frawley being Coach and Senior Assistant?
Comedy hour?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:So if Pelchan is director of football and runs the show, does he take responsibility for the win-loss ratio ... or does that fall to the coach?

Why are we sacking anyone?
We had one bad year and we need to rebuild the list.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
jaxons wrote:What I will do in future is not share information with our loyal supporters who can't handle the truth.

The truth being that the club made a mistake 2 years ago, and it needs to be rectified before further damage is done.
It is no shame making a mistake when you are having a go.
The shame is acknowledging it is a mistake and doing nothing about it.
You guys don't even know the half of it.
Keep up the good work Jaxons....got my vote
Take your bs elsewhere jaxons

As for the truth...it's all a matter of perception mate...

You may think that SW needs to be a clone of Ross Lyon

My perception was that RL was the biggest mistake to hit our footy club in the last 20 years...the truth is that losing a GF and losing 2 in a row might be a lot worse than actully getting there

My perception is that SW is doing a damned fine job and playing his part in the rebuild

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:So if Pelchan is director of football and runs the show, does he take responsibility for the win-loss ratio ... or does that fall to the coach?

Why are we sacking anyone?
We had one bad year and we need to rebuild the list.
Granted, but I'm talking about what happens down the track. Who takes responsibility for the win-loss ratio? The coach or the director of football?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Greg T wrote:
jaxons wrote:What I will do in future is not share information with our loyal supporters who can't handle the truth.

The truth being that the club made a mistake 2 years ago, and it needs to be rectified before further damage is done.

My perception was that RL was the biggest mistake to hit our footy club in the last 20 years...the truth is that losing a GF and losing 2 in a row might be a lot worse than actully getting there

My perception is that SW is doing a damned fine job and playing his part in the rebuild

Thats how little you know about footy. yep 2 GF in 2 years was bad for our club. he should have kept building and maybe missed out on the GF. And then we build again and still miss out on the GF. Im guessing GF day before and during the game was the 2 best days in your footy life. Im guessing everyone else was the same if they follow the saints. better to miss out on the GF. What a load of crap.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The win loss ratio...FFS!! How can you compare a team's win loss when they are GWS or even say the Demons or the Saints right now...compared to a team that is challenging for top 4 and is consistently getting into finals?

If your team is in the window then as a coach you are measured by silverware and basically that's how we remember if coaches were any good or not.

If win loss ratio was a measure of how good a coach you are, surely there'd be an award named for it by now wouldn't there?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The win loss ratio...FFS!! How can you compare a team's win loss when they are GWS or even say the Demons or the Saints right now...compared to a team that is challenging for top 4 and is consistently getting into finals?

If your team is in the window then as a coach you are measured by silverware and basically that's how we remember if coaches were any good or not.

If win loss ratio was a measure of how good a coach you are, surely there'd be an award named for it by now wouldn't there?

Who are you responding to or are you just making a point to yourself?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:The win loss ratio...FFS!! How can you compare a team's win loss when they are GWS or even say the Demons or the Saints right now...compared to a team that is challenging for top 4 and is consistently getting into finals?

I think bigcarl.

Reading the H-S article it is obvious that win-loss ratio will not be a criteria next season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think bigcarl.

Reading the H-S article it is obvious that win-loss ratio will not be a criteria next season.

Thanks I missed it. I really wish people would quote or at least use a name.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote: I think bigcarl.

Yeah sorry, forgot that numpties and nuff nuffs also post here and some have a crap memory so they forget what was written 3 messages back

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote: I think bigcarl.

Yeah sorry, forgot that numpties and nuff nuffs also post here and some have a crap memory so they forget what was written 3 messages back

Obviously you can read. I said i missed it. Nothing to do with crap memory. I thought I was on ignore?

jaxons
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
Greg T wrote:

Your a smart bloke Scollop.
If you could harness the mental energy in your brain you might be able to toast some bread....very lightly!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

more bs...thanks

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: yep 2 GF in 2 years was bad for our club.

What a load of crap.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83496&p=1404660&hil ... e#p1404660

I think that there's a few people that understand what I'm on about

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:

What a load of crap.

Its a Dal to North topic. Not going through that. Just a simple question for you? Was the 2 GF days the best days of watching footy since following the saints and by that i mean from when you woke up until 5 minutes before the end of the 2 games? And even the third game was great before. Just not great during the game.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:

What a load of crap.

Its a Dal to North topic. Not going through that. Just a simple question for you? Was the 2 GF days the best days of watching footy since following the saints and by that i mean from when you woke up until 5 minutes before the end of the 2 games? And even the third game was great before. Just not great during the game.

I enjoyed the GF's but felt distressed through both GF's. I felt physically sick in the last 5 minutes of the drawn GF.

However i wouldn't have missed any of them for the world. Try telling my fanatical Bulldogs supporting family it is better to miss out on the GF than lose one. Think they would disagree

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Its a Dal to North topic. Not going through that. Just a simple question for you? Was the 2 GF days the best days of watching footy since following the saints and by that i mean from when you woke up until 5 minutes before the end of the 2 games? And even the third game was great before. Just not great during the game.
The answer is no... I enjoyed the game against Freo in Rnd 23 a few weks ago as much as any other game EVER!!! I enjoyed the home and away rounds in 08 and 09 when we absolutely smashed teams (like round 22 in 08 when we tore a new one into Essendon and qualified for top 4)

That opportunity lost in 2009 was forgiven afai(was)c becasue of the herculean efforts of everyone when the team got back up and contended in 2010...but I'll be backing my team no matter. The problem is that the kiddies and the fickle supporters want to see success before buying their memberships and merchandise.

The writing was on the wall and we all knew that the club was headed for a major fall down the ladder after RL and club risked it all just to get there.

The team was headed for a GF and nothing less was going to be acceptable in '09. The finals wins were sometimes excruciating and painful to watch.