What I reckon about 2014...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: What I reckon about 2014...

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:'Bar Blake and Kosi' - precisely.

You already concede some senior players werent first choicers in 2013?

So you have already watered down your argument that 'all senior players will be first choicers'

Now suddenly its 'all bar x & y'

2014 will be the same again. A couple of ex first choicer will no longer be first choicers.

FACT.

Con at the start i said most older players will play seniors and used CJ as an example of a player who may not. You then said only 3 will play every game bar injury and didnt include Dempster, lenny or Fish. if all those are at the club next year they will play every game bar injury. Its that simple. it happened this year so why all of a sudden wont it happen next year? You completely failed to acknowledge my point about Milne because it was to hard for you to come up with any logical reason why he played every single game when available. We were forced to contract Kosi this year otherwise he wouldnt have even been on the list but he still played early in the year.

I hate to do this but i agree with plugger our star players will play as long as they don't get injured. We have turned over a huge amount of players and there are plenty of spots open for the kids. Scott has said he expects all players to earn a spot and won't be gifting like 2013. Guys like geary and newnes will probably be given runs in the midfield and we might see guys like Lenny rested in a forward pocket. i'm still thinking with guys like lenny, Fisher and Schnieder getting older and already missing large chunks of games we probably won't have to much problem anyway.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The main issue is most in the club know we are in 100% rebuild.

The only one who doesnt like this is SW because he knows 2 bottom finishes from 3 will look bad on his CV and effectively end his coaching career. Which is either rotten luck or unfair.

Pelchen actually wants a low finish in 2014 to attack the draft again.

We wont be wasting the year playing dads army. Guys like Fisher Dempster Gwilt and Ray will need to be in top form to get games.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's very sad for some fans isn't it. Can't understand that change is enivatible and it matters not whether you win 10 games or 3 - the medium to longer term plan must be to get the blueprint right for a top 4 contender. It's expected and it's hard for conservative old codgers who don't like change so...

They may as well get their Op's and banners ready for 2014; sack the coach, sack the pelican, sack the board, sack the jyd!!!
Forgot this one; I wanna watch my heroes train and I don't want to travel too far so please get the team back at Moorabbin!!!

And they're probably so thick they're thinking who cares about Newnes and Murdoch and Wright and Ross getting games in the midfield, who even wants to watch a bunch of pimply faced kids like Aish or Kelly or Scharenburg playing for the Saints. Bring back Neil and Milney and get em all hugging like good mates should....and of course - nearly forgot- Get Milney leading the theme song - it just won't be the same without Milney

Piss off you old codgers - the rebuild is in full swing!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And that last line is not targetted to any current or past players. Respectfully they will keep doing as their employer asks them. It's squarely aimed at supporters who can't handle the change
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 14 Oct 2013 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:It's very sad for some fans isn't it. Can't understand that change is enivatible and it matters not whether you win 10 games or 3 - the medium to longer term plan must be to get the blueprint right for a top 4 contender. It's expected and it's hard for conservative old codgers who don't like change so...

They may as well get their Op's and banners ready for 2014; sack the coach, sack the pelican, sack the board, sack the jyd!!!
Forgot this one; I wanna watch my heroes train and I don't want to travel too far so please get the team back at Moorabbin!!!

And they're probably so thick they're thinking who cares about Newnes and Murdoch and Wright and Ross getting games in the midfield, who even wants to watch a bunch of pimply faced kids like Aish or Kelly or Scharenburg playing for the Saints. Bring back Neil and Milney and get em all hugging like good mates should....and of course - nearly forgot- Get Milney leading the theme song - it just won't be the same without Milney

Are you on drugs because I have no idea where any of that has come from. HGas anyone even mentioned anything you said at all?

karnaby
Club Player

Long live the revolution <rebuild>

I want to see a core group of our younger players get the magical 40, 50 60+ games under their belts in a reasonable time span. I'd be happy to see a mix whereby quite a few of the older players provide the frame of the team most weeks so that the youngsters can play and develop. Ultimately it should be done in a balanced way.

For every game that CJ, TDL, Ray etc play (not to say they may not have earn't it) it is one less game that a kid can play. That loss of opportunity does have a cost in terms of their development.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:It's very sad for some fans isn't it. Can't understand that change is enivatible and it matters not whether you win 10 games or 3 - the medium to longer term plan must be to get the blueprint right for a top 4 contender. It's expected and it's hard for conservative old codgers who don't like change so...

Are you on drugs because I have no idea where any of that has come from. HGas anyone even mentioned anything you said at all?
You are spot on Scollop. Top post and well said.

Im fricking sick of it too.
And plugger you are the worst of the lot. You pretend you are sensible but you are an arch conservative who shudders at the thought of change and wants the world to freeze in 2009.

You hate Pelchen cos he represents change and a big broom and you cant take it and you hate Scott because he doesn't lick the older players asses 24/7 and tell them how awesome they were in 09 and he is trying to encourage a new generation of Saints player. You will piss and moan about the coach next year because the change and rebuild is going to be hard and you want the safety blanket for watching old players who you used to know and love hug each other.

Its just pathetic.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:Long live the revolution <rebuild>

I want to see a core group of our younger players get the magical 40, 50 60+ games under their belts in a reasonable time span. I'd be happy to see a mix whereby quite a few of the older players provide the frame of the team most weeks so that the youngsters can play and develop. Ultimately it should be done in a balanced way.

For every game that CJ, TDL, Ray etc play (not to say they may not have earn't it) it is one less game that a kid can play. That loss of opportunity does have a cost in terms of their development.
AMEN!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
karnaby wrote:Long live the revolution <rebuild>

AMEN!

Totally agree. Plenty of spots for the older champion players but the fringe older players will struggle to get games like a CJ TDL and Ray next season. That is surely obvious to anyone.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con & Pluggs 100% agree about next year… sweet.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Its just pathetic.
And predictable. Your earlier posts paint the picture for those too dense to figure it out...And thanks Con...you have inspired a new signature :) :D 8-) 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
And predictable. Your earlier posts paint the picture for those too dense to figure it out...And thanks Con...you have inspired a new signature :) :D 8-) 8-)

So scollop, man of little knowledge, do you think Lenny will get dropped to the reserves during the year? And i must say your lack of footy knowledge is a blight on your friends. they should have tried to explain the game to you when you were younger. There is no excuse these days for such poor knowledge with the internet, fox footy and the like.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Will Dustin Fletcher get dropped? Will Brent Harvey get dropped to the reserves? Will Jon Brown get dropped to the reserves? Will Roo get dropped to the reserves?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Will Dustin Fletcher get dropped? Will Brent Harvey get dropped to the reserves? Will Jon Brown get dropped to the reserves? Will Roo get dropped to the reserves?

Doubt any of them will but thats a strange way to answer a simple question. My point is that our champion older players will continue to play all games next season baring injury. There is likely to only be 4 or 5 of them as I think dal and Chips will still leave the club. if they dont they will continue to play senior footy next year. The CJ types may not. And i include in the CJ types Ray, Jimmy and players of that age an ability. I think Gilbert will continue to play senior footy next year. I think dempster will also. That still leaves many spots for the younger players. many spots. Now tell me what part that i have mentioned is unlikely to happen. It shouldnt be hard to do.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: ...thats a strange way to answer a simple question.
I thought it may have been more a rhetorical question and I don't normally cuddle and embrace a 'prcikly' question...I throw at back at people. You answered your own question didn't you!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote: ...thats a strange way to answer a simple question.
I thought it may have been more a rhetorical question and I don't normally cuddle and embrace a 'prcikly' question...I throw at back at people. You answered your own question didn't you!!
No.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:Will Dustin Fletcher get dropped? Will Brent Harvey get dropped to the reserves? Will Jon Brown get dropped to the reserves? Will Roo get dropped to the reserves?

Doubt any of them will but thats a strange way to answer a simple question. My point is that our champion older players will continue to play all games next season baring injury. There is likely to only be 4 or 5 of them as I think dal and Chips will still leave the club. if they dont they will continue to play senior footy next year. The CJ types may not. And i include in the CJ types Ray, Jimmy and players of that age an ability. I think Gilbert will continue to play senior footy next year. I think dempster will also. That still leaves many spots for the younger players. many spots. Now tell me what part that i have mentioned is unlikely to happen. It shouldnt be hard to do.
I will be extremely surprised if Ray doesn't play every match next year barring injury and similarly CJ, I thought CJ played some of really good footy this year and his kicking seemed to improve.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: I will be extremely surprised if Ray doesn't play every match next year barring injury and similarly CJ, I thought CJ played some of really good footy this year and his kicking seemed to improve.
Not sure how we are going to fast track development if these guys… Ray, Gwilt & Jones play every week

We can't afford to be waiting for injuries to try and get these guys up towards 50 …
Siposs, Newnes, Markworth, Webster, Murdoch, Saunders, Dunell, Milera, Ross, Pick 3, Wright

I don't think we can just meander 5-6 games into these guys anymore. Our average mature players will be definitely be playing some VFL… Ray, Gwilt & Jones are prime… just like Kosi & Blake this year.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:

So scollop, man of little knowledge, do you think Lenny will get dropped to the reserves during the year? And i must say your lack of footy knowledge is a blight on your friends. they should have tried to explain the game to you when you were younger. There is no excuse these days for such poor knowledge with the internet, fox footy and the like.

lenny won't be dropped to the VFL he will be rested. Just like reiwoldt was rested in one game,

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I will be extremely surprised if Ray doesn't play every match next year barring injury and similarly CJ, I thought CJ played some of really good footy this year and his kicking seemed to improve.
My problem with Ray is that his disposal is atrocious.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
My problem with Ray is that his disposal is atrocious.
I have 4 words for Farren Ray - 'Lower your f*cking eyes'.

Great mark for his size - but the amount of times we work hard to create the inside 50 opportunity - put him in the clear and he just sends a 50m bomb to two unmarked opposition defenders who then rebound it against the play so it becomes an opposition fwd 50 entry about 5 seconds later just does my head in.

Wed be better off we told him to just kick it to the boundary.

Speaking of which - im having a flashback/memory block - but can someone remember the players name we had in the 90s who was notorious for going the boundary almost everytime he got it?

I think they bought in the deliberate rule around that time and he was one of the reasons (there were a few others from other clubs around that time who always went the boundary).