Change of strategy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Change of strategy

For a long time the club was talking about the dearth of players in that 23-28 bracket and our need to fill that gap. Have we bit the bullet and are now solely focussing on youth?? If armo goes I think you'll have your answer

#1 Ryder fan
johng
Club Player

Re: Change of strategy

Just losing B graders need to upgrade

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I reckon they need to keep Armo, unless it was a trade for pick 1.

bennymac5
Club Player

I think we still want players in the 23-25 age group, it's just we want them to be clearly in our plans going forward. No point in recruiting a player or keeping a player just because of his age. The fact that we are after/have got Bruce, Delaney and Savage shows we're not just looking for untried kids, but players who have been in the system or a few years and have showed promise.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bennymac5 wrote:I think we still want players in the 23-25 age group, it's just we want them to be clearly in our plans going forward. No point in recruiting a player or keeping a player just because of his age. The fact that we are after/have got Bruce, Delaney and Savage shows we're not just looking for untried kids, but players who have been in the system or a few years and have showed promise.
That's a change from Dunell, Saad, Milera & Lee who have all come from outside of the system.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the op.
I think we first thought we could fudge our way through by plugging holes with those early 20s guys like Saad Milera Dunny Lee Shenton Roberton and Hickey.
Think they now see that isnt going to work and we need to build our own talent from the draft
There are no shortcuts so we are attacking the draft.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

We need guys in that bracket to win a flag - but do we need them in that bracket now?

By recruiting young dudes in chunks, they grow up together and hit that age bracket together and that is how you build a good team.

But is there any point in having a group of 23-28yo's right now?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think we have plugged some holes now we need to get the cream to fill it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:For a long time the club was talking about the dearth of players in that 23-28 bracket and our need to fill that gap. Have we bit the bullet and are now solely focussing on youth?? If armo goes I think you'll have your answer
No, as we have re-signed Joey, Jones etc.

We have brought in Savage who will be 23 next season.

As it looks like we are going to gain Bruce = 21.5 now, and Delaney who is 24....so that looks like players 23-28.

FWIW. Ii think the strategy is now all about, and has been since Pelchen arrived, building another team to have a crack at getting a flag.

So IMO this is acquiring players for the Saints to be at their best as a team say 3-6 years time

we are keeping enough senior mentors, so that we do not do a Melbourne.
I expect Dal and Fisher to go this trade period.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seems mid 2013 that occurred?

The 40 page report suggest they needed a change of tact.... I reckon this caused the breakdown between SW and List Management?!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seems mid 2013 that occurred?

The 40 page report suggest they needed a change of tact.... I reckon this caused the breakdown between SW and List Management?!
Any ideas?
I suspect SW thought he could 'do a Sydney' and Pelchen and Bains said told him he was kidding himself and we needed a full re-build.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seems mid 2013 that occurred?

Tell us more about THAT breakdown. It seems that Mark Fine and yourself are the ONLY people who know ALL about this. As for the 40 page report, I suspect that CP, SW, The Board and not many other people have laid eyes on it. Furthermore, CP has told member groups that this is the Blueprint he used at Port Adelaide & Hawthorn and that SW has been part of it since the day he walked in the door !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's what's reported.... Is it not? Not sure it's just Mark Fine either? but surely you agree that he would have a source?

Be disappointed if the leadership group weren't across the strategic plan, and Ameet Bains, Footy Director and other relevant staffers??

Con... You may be right

The retention of Blake, Kosi and some other role players last year suggests they thought they were competitive .... Fair enough, they should have made the 8 in 2012!

But the list went backwards quickly .... As it can do

1997----- 2000
2010------2013