Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kickit
Club Player

Re: Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

I rate McEvoy, but I don't disagree with the trade.
If the people who are paid to know rate Hickey there will be a point where there is no point having both on the list.
It makes sense to trade him when he's at maximum value.
We could get someone like Ben Brown ( VFL ) for depth to the Hickey, Stanley combo.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Was shocked this morning...loved BB's work, except in the centre! Probably a great reason to trade and Savage is a good pick up along with the first round pick. If the rumours re: compo pick are true, I'll have suddenly gone from sad to ecstatic...although I tend to believe this stuff is BS until it happens (have the AFL even confirmed 2 first round picks as compo for Buddy?).

lefty
Club Player

Gosh I hope with all this pick number talk we don't get a player that gets home sick 2 to 4 years later....

amusingname
Club Player

manoffewwords wrote:Someone mentioned earlier in this thread or another the possibility of North trading their pick 8 for our 17 in the Dal trade as they could use the 17 as a first rounder to still secure the father son pick. Have we clarified if this is possible?
No, the father/son pick cannot be traded once the bidding process finishes. North have to use 8 on McDonald.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Gosh I hope with all this pick number talk we don't get a player that gets home sick 2 to 4 years later....
...or a gun key forward who hates the limelight and pisses off to Sydney...again.

manoffewwords
Club Player

Thanks

Say something once why say it again?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Was shocked this morning...loved BB's work, except in the centre! Probably a great reason to trade and Savage is a good pick up along with the first round pick. If the rumours re: compo pick are true, I'll have suddenly gone from sad to ecstatic...although I tend to believe this stuff is BS until it happens (have the AFL even confirmed 2 first round picks as compo for Buddy?).
It's only 1 pick, 18 which we are swapping with our 21.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Gosh I hope with all this pick number talk we don't get a player that gets home sick 2 to 4 years later....

The other Cripps?

starsign
Club Player

manoffewwords wrote:Someone mentioned earlier in this thread or another the possibility of North trading their pick 8 for our 17 in the Dal trade as they could use the 17 as a first rounder to still secure the father son pick. Have we clarified if this is possible?
Not on evidently because Eagles bid their pick 6 so Roos 8 is locked in

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

More important that our low picks are guns. If they hang 'round they help the side and if they want to go home we can swap them for something decent.

The problem with Cripps was not so much that he went back to WA. It's that he wasn't worth much.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
degruch wrote:Was shocked this morning...loved BB's work, except in the centre! Probably a great reason to trade and Savage is a good pick up along with the first round pick. If the rumours re: compo pick are true, I'll have suddenly gone from sad to ecstatic...although I tend to believe this stuff is BS until it happens (have the AFL even confirmed 2 first round picks as compo for Buddy?).
It's only 1 pick, 18 which we are swapping with our 21.
Okay, thanks. That's a deal, I'll take it...isn't our 21 likely to become a 23 anyway?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Reading elsewhere he asked to be traded...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The problem with McEvoy is his around the ground game simply isn't as good as ppl make out and certainly not good enough to negate his deficiencies as a ruck.

Go back to his game vs Carlton this year, how good was it?

How many ore games like that did he play?

I worry that we may have traded him right b4 he peaked but it feels like we've been waiting for that for ages.

And we can't keep a player on the list just because he's a particular age... that argument is just silly

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ben was a liability. Full stop. Worst ruckman in the game. We win.
If the hawks can get something out of him then good on them and good on him.
Wasn't going to happen here.
We wasted years on him based on a potential that, but for a brief moment in 2012, he never looked likely to realise.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Reading elsewhere he asked to be traded...
If he could not see the writing on the wall after the drafting of Hickey and Pierce, the recruitment of 203cm Holmes would have done the trick.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah but the American guy doesn't even know the rules

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Austinnn
Club Player

Still a bit miffed about this trade. Savage seems to be more of a small forward than an outside mid. Could be alright. And pick 17 is great. Big boy is a great person to have at the club and if we'd have stuck with him the kind of character that would be a loyal servant after retirement. I think we'll morn his loss for more than his ruck work, similar to Luke Ball. These types of players should be held onto.

Still, the club said they would be aggressive and we need to give up something. I've got much less of a problem with Sam Fisher being traded, as good a player as he is. His type of character we've got plenty of already -some might say too much of.

Not too many hawks who aren't absolutely stoked with the deal. Good luck to Ben, at least he didn't go to Carlton or Pies. Hawks have done alright off us over the years, haven't they? Let's hope Savage becomes a gun - replacement for Saad?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Strongly disagree..

Taken a massive risk..

Savage is more than likely not going to make it.. 4 years in the system is a 75% proven commodity.. 13 disposal per game average is a low base to improve on.. Pick 17 is a toss of the coin..

Despite the Saints supporter hate, Mcevoy is a very very good footballer, who will be much better 25-30 than 20-25yo.. He's not great at taps. The most useless stat in the game. He reads the play well and has brilliant hands, a good football brain and a natural leader..

I will be happy to say I was wrong in 4 years, but at this point I'm pretty pissed off with our direction..

suss
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Yeah but the American guy doesn't even know the rules
Neither do the umpires so it doesn't matter.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Like most here, I am sad to see big Ben go, but, not disappointed with the trade.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I doubt this would be true...

His manager said he was a little shocked at the thought if changing clubs... As he wanted to be a one club player.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
I doubt this would be true...

His manager said he was a little shocked at the thought if changing clubs... As he wanted to be a one club player.
Think both comments are correct.

The way I read it:

Ben did want to be a one club player.
However it seems the Saints mentioned Ben's name in regards to possible trading with GWS and this made him change his outlook a little.
Then the Hawks came courting the big guy.
Then he asked to be traded.

TwoTowers
Club Player

Sobraz wrote: Savage is more than likely not going to make it.. 4 years in the system is a 75% proven commodity.. 13 disposal per game average is a low base to improve on.. Pick 17 is a toss of the coin..
He needs to find some consistency but you have to discard that 13 disposal avg as he spent so many games as the sub in the past 2 years - 8 of 21 n 2012 and 4 or 5 this season out of maybe 12 games. He was also rarely played in the midfield, playing positions where disposals are much more difficult to come by. He can certainly turn it on so looks to have the talent and a guaranteed role on the ground at the Saints will hopefully see him gain confidence in his ability.

The 30 disposal 9 mark game against us in round 20 will hopefully be more indicative of what we might get from him next season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Mcevoy is a very very good footballer, who will be much better 25-30 than 20-25yo.. He's not great at taps. The most useless stat in the game. He reads the play well and has brilliant hands, a good football brain and a natural leader.
Yep

lloyd21
Club Player

Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

Bains has already stated on 4 separate interviews McEvoy was never on the table.

Hawthorn initiated the whole trade. Saints thought it was too good offer as they wanted to get 3 picks inside 20 .