A NEW PARADIGM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

A NEW PARADIGM

Sydney's offer to Buddy Franklin has turned AFL trading/recruiting on its head. Clubs will have to lock in their good players into longer contracts and will need to be aggressive in their recruiting/trading and take risks, if they want to compete.

It's a bold new world. Let's get one thing clear, many of us have lamented the mistakes made by our club, however this move by Sydney is one of the greatest acts of lunacy I have ever seen from an AFL/VFL club. A nine year contract for anybody, but particularly a 27 yo is sheer madness. Any Sydney supporter feeling smug today, should really think it through. The significant risks of a nine year deal, the salary cap implications going forward and the reaction of other Swans players now and for the next decade. Not to mention the fact that they don't need him.

Sydney you rampant idiots, you have really embraced the moronic hubris of life in NSW. I wouldn't even offer Lockett in his prime a deal like that and believe me Buddy isn't even a pimple on the great Plugger's arse.

Since the world has turned upside down with the 'Buddy' deal we need to get on the front foot and be aggressive. Assuming GWS still have pick 1 on the table (and last night their CEO indicated that was probably still the case), trade Mc Evoy, Fisher and Pick 3 for Pick 1 and Bruce. Do the deal without hesitation Saints. Get on with it.

Kickit
Club Player

Re: A NEW PARADIGM

Sydney are successful now. They may not still be considered successful in nine years time.
I still remember watching Hamill on the Footy Show. It was the only place I got to see him because he wasn't playing football. We all moaned about how stupid our club was for having him on such a stupid long term contract.
I hope other clubs copy Sydney.
I hope our club doesn't.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If that's true and it's a 9 year deal, then it's dodgy as......
No one could seriously expect he will play until the age of 36, which means they plan on rolling it into a coaching deal or some such thing for the last two or three years. Should be looked at by the AFL, although they will kust rubber stamp it and declare that Sydney forgot to include Buddy's ten percent allowance but that the aFL will cover it for them, as it was an honest mistake....... :roll:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:If that's true and it's a 9 year deal, then it's dodgy as......
No one could seriously expect he will play until the age of 36, which means they plan on rolling it into a coaching deal or some such thing for the last two or three years. Should be looked at by the AFL, although they will kust rubber stamp it and declare that Sydney forgot to include Buddy's ten percent allowance but that the aFL will cover it for them, as it was an honest mistake....... :roll:

They cant roll it in to a coaching deal. if its 9 years then he will be on the list for 9 years no matter what. Lynch got 10 years at Brisbane and by the end he was earning less than 50% of players. Its still a stupid deal unless he at least plays 7 years. Allowing for the salary cap rises over the next few years plaus guesses after that by the 9th year it will be equivilant to 600k a year now.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

What happens if buddy does his knee next year !
returns the following year but never regains his explosive run and carry , does he clog the swans list for the following 7 years . or can they pay him out .

In red white and black from 73
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote:What happens if buddy does his knee next year !
returns the following year but never regains his explosive run and carry , does he clog the swans list for the following 7 years . or can they pay him out .

We can but hope he and Tippett run into each other.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:What happens if buddy does his knee next year !

They can pay him outbut wouldnt be able to field a side because all his money must be included in the cap for that year. They would have to keep him on the list and pay him yearly if that happened.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He gets $600000 paid next year as a promotional fee that is outside the cap next year. I'm sure the AFL has a few of their guys on them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He gets $600000 paid next year as a promotional fee that is outside the cap next year. I'm sure the AFL has a few of their guys on them.

I dont think there is anyway Franklin will get a promotional allowance now that he has gone to Sydney. The AFL couldnt do it. There will be a riot.