Why we Don't Need To Spend up yet?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

murray 66
Club Player

Why we Don't Need To Spend up yet?

With the Saints being 3 to 4 yrs away from potentially being able to have a shot at a flag,we shouldn't be throwing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at players just yet.
I hope we save our dollars and time our run to spend up when our nucleus of the team has played 50 to 60 games and we are on the cusp of finals.
I understand patience will be tested but we need to develop from within for the next couple of years and strike when the hard work with the GWS and SUNS boys has been done .
As we have seen with Ablett and will see with Buddy,everyone has a price?

C'mon The Saints.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why we Don't Need To Spend up yet?

I believe AFL rules state we have to spend 95% of our salary cap. Who do you suggest we pay that to?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
FQF
SS Life Member

Front load a handsome 4 year deal for Adams I say.

murray 66
Club Player

How were Geelong able to do it in 2002-2007 where their senior players were on peanuts ,which enabled their list to still develop and recruit accomplished players from other clubs??

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

FQF wrote:Front load a handsome 4 year deal for Adams I say.
He's a good foot soldier who has a crack but not overly quick, not an elite user of the footy and will never be an elite mid. He is not our answer and definitely not worth what you would call a handsome deal. He is no Tomlinson or Treloar.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We don't need to spend up , because we don't have any A-grade players anymore !

Roo and Lenny are still great but age is against them .
Dal and joey , were B+ this year .

Jack was B+ this year , hopefully next year he will become an A grader .
For anyone else to become an A grader next year would take a massive jump in there preformance from this year , I hope some will take the step !

In red white and black from 73
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:We don't need to spend up , because we don't have any A-grade players anymore !

For anyone else to become an A grader next year would take a massive jump in there preformance from this year , I hope some will take the step !

I reckon jack was A grade this year and Joey and Rooy very close.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:We don't need to spend up , because we don't have any A-grade players anymore !

You're right
but i just think jack and joey were a little inconsistant and roo's knee hampered him in the last half of the year .

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy O'Dea wrote:
FQF wrote:Front load a handsome 4 year deal for Adams I say.
He's a good foot soldier who has a crack but not overly quick, not an elite user of the footy and will never be an elite mid. He is not our answer and definitely not worth what you would call a handsome deal. He is no Tomlinson or Treloar.
Adams is miles better than Tomlinson .
Miles

As people say we need to spend 95% of our sc.
I'd rather that wasnt spent on tdl .
We need a young gun or three .
We should have got caddy and ill take adams

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joey's numbers A Grade.... Jack still needs to tidy up his errors, but is very close IMO ..... Riewoldt had A Grade to Elite numbers for 2/3 of the season..
I don't know why clubs don't try and put their best team on the park every year.... Why is there a culture of playing dead if you can't win the cup.... Why not win as much as you can EVERY year....

As we know, your never guaranteed a cup at any stage.... Mistake of putting all eggs in a short era for a flag, is that few teams actually pinch one....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joey's numbers A Grade.... Jack still needs to tidy up his errors, but is very close IMO ..... Riewoldt had A Grade to Elite numbers for 2/3 of the season..
I don't know why clubs don't try and put their best team on the park every year.... Why is there a culture of playing dead if you can't win the cup.... Why not win as much as you can EVERY year....

As we know, your never guaranteed a cup at any stage.... Mistake of putting all eggs in a short era for a flag, is that few teams actually pinch one....

spert
Saintsational Legend

Experienced senior players should lead the way, but it has been a sorry sight this year..Lenny injuries, Fisher injuries, NDS not busting a gut, Roo trying hard but the knees are wobbly, Joey doing OK, Dempster inconsistent, Milne off the boil, Schneids injuries, Maister injuries, Blake and Kosi gone for the best part of the season. Older bodies not getting over injuries as eaasily as they once could.
A season with no real senior leadership, so no wonder a rebuild is in full swing. We should spend up big, or at least with what we have in the bank.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was Sam Mitchell not 'busting a gut' in the Grand Final? He was overcome by a tagger??

Fact is, taggers are very good, very few beat them.... He got the 'lock down' weekly

He goes... Jack Steven won't get a license to run around on his own head to head getting kicks at will... He'll have an opponent blocking his run, scragging him, buffeting him, holding constantly.... Life will become very different.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Was Sam Mitchell not 'busting a gut' in the Grand Final? He was overcome by a tagger??

Fact is, taggers are very good, very few beat them.... He got the 'lock down' weekly

He goes... Jack Steven won't get a license to run around on his own head to head getting kicks at will... He'll have an opponent blocking his run, scragging him, buffeting him, holding constantly.... Life will become very different.
They will definitely tag him first next year.

Jack will need to learn some tricks and youngsters will need to learn to block and screen the tagger.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not if Dal is at StK....

Allow Dal Santo 30 a game in the midfield... Chances are you'll lose... He will set goals up at will... He is never allowed freedom.... Unless of course BJ Goddard is also there

Jack is the most predominant midfielder ATM because he isn't the most productive.... Or creative.... Without the others he will be sat on by the opposition #1 every game

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
BigMart wrote:Was Sam Mitchell not 'busting a gut' in the Grand Final? He was overcome by a tagger??

They will definitely tag him first next year.

Jack will need to learn some tricks and youngsters will need to learn to block and screen the tagger.

Jack ran off a few that tried to hold him back this year and Joey and jack both had a grade years.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You're right
but i just think jack and joey were a little inconsistant and roo's knee hampered him in the last half of the year .
Joey averaged 30 touches per game, had only one match under 22 disp, kicked 16 goals for the year…

Jack had very similar numbers, slightly less touches, but I thought they were both very consistent and A grade.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:I believe AFL rules state we have to spend 95% of our salary cap. Who do you suggest we pay that to?
Let's start by giving Clinton Jones and Beau Maister another contract

spert
Saintsational Legend

NDS is an easy tag, but in many cases, his tagger becomes an attacking player in his own right- that's why Lyon dropped NDS to the VFL years back- didn't work hard enough off the ball. Mitchell is a different story- played a lot of tough midfield footy this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who tagged him?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

NDS is an easy tag

5 times top 4 in the B&F should have won 2011 in the absence of Lenny... Triple AA suggest he ain't that easy to tag??

It's a exaggeration which gets perpetuated by simpletons.... Like Ledger can't kick, Riewoldt is soft or Zac is a good FB??

His numbers considering the attention he receives are good, again is Sam Mitchell an easy tag? Is Stevie J?