Time to get Harv's back.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Time to get Harv's back.

It is about time we got Robert Harvey back at the club. He has had two seasons assistant to Ratten at Carlton, one here under RosS Lyons, and two under Buckley at Collingwood. We could do worse than offering him a position like Senior Assistant Coach.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time to get Harv's back.

Only if he is the best person for a certain job.

Definitely not because he is a great 'St Kilda' person.

Not sure if Watters will want side-kicks that were competing with him for the head coach role.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:It is about time we got Robert Harvey back at the club. He has had two seasons assistant to Ratten at Carlton, one here under RosS Lyons, and two under Buckley at Collingwood. We could do worse than offering him a position like Senior Assistant Coach.
Is he any good?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Only if he is the best person for a certain job.

Definitely not because he is a great 'St Kilda' person.

Not sure if Watters will want side-kicks that were competing with him for the head coach role.
+ 1

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
borderbarry wrote:It is about time we got Robert Harvey back at the club. He has had two seasons assistant to Ratten at Carlton, one here under RosS Lyons, and two under Buckley at Collingwood. We could do worse than offering him a position like Senior Assistant Coach.
Is he any good?
No flags - so he's a dud.

Mitch Morton and Leigh Brown were better players too.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Personally I think his best days are behind him and we'd better off playing a kid.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Kickit
Club Player

I think he got his nose out of joint when Watters got the job above him.
Therefore unlikely.

lloyd21
Club Player

No thanks

Would rather someone else .

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Is he any good?
No flags - so he's a dud.

not sure about the comparison because because one was a midfielder and one was a mid sized forward and one was a forward playing ruckman... two are premiership players but that doesn't make Harvey a dud. Bit rough on Harvey I would have thought.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote: No flags - so he's a dud.

not sure about the comparison because because one was a midfielder and one was a mid sized forward and one was a forward playing ruckman... two are premiership players but that doesn't make Harvey a dud. Bit rough on Harvey I would have thought.
Sorry, from your other posts I figured that you measured success in binary terms.

Harvey & Riewoldt have no flags, Tim Notting has 2.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote: No flags - so he's a dud.

Sorry, from your other posts I figured that you measured success in binary terms.

Harvey & Riewoldt have no flags, Tim Notting has 2.
Apology accepted...maybe you need to learn more about binary terms.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not for me, anyway. Great player. Club legend. Spat the dummy and walked when he didn't get the coaching gig, did it for me.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I will forever love him as a player but the way he reacted when he didn't get the coaching gig, especially sodding off to Collingwood of all places, did not impress me at all. If a job is open and he applies and gets it ill be happy but we shouldn't go crawling to anyone offering them a job

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Is he any good?
He has to be. He played for us. That is surely enough of a credential.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

fingers: "He has to be. He played for us. That is surely enough of a credential."

I'm sorry to have to agree to disagree with you on your criteria for a (successful) senior coach. Would that criteria be applied to Michael Voss at Brisbane? Tony Shaw at Collingwood? Brett Ratten at Carlton? Kevin Bartlett at Richmond? Darrell Baldock at St Kilda? I'm afraid that your criteria for the coaching position at our club would appear to be a part of the reason why we've struggled for so long. Harves will always have my respect for his time as a player at the club, I just don't see him as our senior coach.

ljpoyz
Club Player

Turn on sarcasm detector.
thejiggingsaint wrote:fingers: "He has to be. He played for us. That is surely enough of a credential."

I'm sorry to have to agree to disagree with you on your criteria for a (successful) senior coach. Would that criteria be applied to Michael Voss at Brisbane? Tony Shaw at Collingwood? Brett Ratten at Carlton? Kevin Bartlett at Richmond? Darrell Baldock at St Kilda? I'm afraid that your criteria for the coaching position at our club would appear to be a part of the reason why we've struggled for so long. Harves will always have my respect for his time as a player at the club, I just don't see him as our senior coach.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Hasn't exactly set the world on fire at the clubs he's been at. Under Ratten, no great success. Under Lyon, only one elimination final. Under Buckley, the Pies went backwards.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Does he actually want to be a senior coach?

supersaints
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Does he actually want to be a senior coach?
I recall him stating that he wanted to be a senior coach ( after all he did apply for the Saints job)
He said that he didn't think that he thoght because he was from the club he wasnt given the same consideration as other candidates.
He left the Saints to gain experience at other clubs (which IMO is the best way to go)
I doubt he would want to work under Watters, and that would possibly worry about (at least feeling) that he may be undermined.
Personally I would love to seem Harves return in some capacity in the future.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

ljpoyz wrote:Turn on sarcasm detector.
thejiggingsaint wrote:fingers: "He has to be. He played for us. That is surely enough of a credential."

Thanks ljpoyz LOL

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Actually Darrel Baldock as a coach turned us around and pointed the club towards being more successful. Had he not had a stroke while coaching us he could have led us further towards success.-

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Borderbarry I stand (humbly) corrected, and apologise for my (relative) ignorance :oops:

defacto
Club Player

harvey is a terrible coach. at carlton their midfield struggled. at st kilda our midfield went backwards to the point ross had to get involved. at pies its gone backwards

Austinnn
Club Player

Harv's back? Why would we want his back? What can the back of Robert Harvey do for us? Why wouldn't we want his entire body? Wouldn't he object to someone taking large parts of his torso? Are you suggesting we kill one of our greatest players, slice him up and keep some of the parts as... what? Some kind of grotesque trophy??

You sick sick person.

LESSON: Apostrophes

Use apostrophes to:

1) denote possession, ie St Kilda's star midfielder = the star midfielder of St Kilda

exceptions: it, ie: St Kilda is a great club. Its most attractive feature is its fans. (Not it's most attractive feature is it's fans)

The reason is to distinguish it from use with contracted forms of the auxilliary verb TO BE and TO HAVE, ie It's a great club = It is a great club, It's sacked the coach = It has sacked the coach.

2) attatch contracted forms of auxilliary verbs to pronouns, for example: He's a champion = He is a champion, They'll win a flag next year = They will win a flag next year, I'd pay a lot of money to see that = I would pay a lot of money to see that, She'd seen him at a nightclub the night before = She had seen him at a nightclub the night before. In informal/spoken English this can also be done with any noun, "Roo'd wanna get a goal here." "The club'll draft the best young player." This also works with combination auxilliaries, ie: We could've had 3 premierships in the last 10 years = We could have had 3 premierships in the last 10 years.

3) create anglisised transcriptions of ethnic names, ie: O'Toole, Qur'an, Eto'o, O'hAilpin (though it's actually Ó hAilpín)

4) Occasionally and exceptionally in plural noun forms involving Acronyms, letters or numbers, ie: The 80's were terrible for the Saints, Mind your P's and Q's when talking to Neil Roberts.

Don't use apostrophes to:

1) make plural forms of standard nouns, ie: The player's are disappointed, All the club's said no to Dustin Martin.

2) punctuate nicknames ending in the letter S unless you want people to assume that what you're talking about is actually the unmentioned possession of that person, ie: I'm going round to Harv's after the game = I'm going round to the house of Harv after the game.

So "Harvs", not "Harv's". Don't give me you're s*** that grammer and speling arent importent just because you are to much of a looser too educate your self. There is a big difference between Watters re-signs and Watters resigns.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone