Dal Update Sep 20

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Update Sep 20

stinger wrote:
Newman wrote:I've heard that St Kilda Football Club will release a press release on Dal today. Watch this space as they say.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-09-1 ... ithin-days

"Dal Santo has exercised the trigger clause in his contract to remain with St Kilda, but the Kangaroos are desperate to bring him to Arden Street as the final ingredient of their midfield.

The Saints would receive a high draft pick in exchange as they set about injecting fresh young talent into their squad."

...must be trying for the wooden spoon next year if that's the case...

know one family that won't be renewing their memberships if that's the case....
Surely this family will wait and see what the draft pick is first?
Dal wont be the difference for us next year - we will be bottom 4 regardless.
Love the Dal by the way. But we need rebuild our side from the ground up and Dal is one of very few with currency.

bergsone
SS Life Member

I don't buy into this bottom 4 basket case next year rubbish,sounds defeatist imo,more than happy to keep NDS

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:I don't buy into this bottom 4 basket case next year rubbish,sounds defeatist imo,more than happy to keep NDS
get rid of joey and dal...and we will be a basket case....not much worried about chips though...he can go f he wants too.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Haven't seen a decent update since the John Hopoate incident 8-)
That's true ,Doc. But remember that happened in the pre-digital era.

longtimesaint
Club Player

bergsone wrote:I don't buy into this bottom 4 basket case next year rubbish,sounds defeatist imo,more than happy to keep NDS
I don't buy into the bottom 4 idea either. It has been proven that the only way to improve is to have a solid base of very skilfull players and bring in the young players around them . Dal and Joey are exactly the sort of players for this role. Look at GWS who have mainly draftees and very high picks at that, and then compare to Geelong who have introduced the new players with a strong experienced base. With pick 3 and maybe a free agency pick together with natural improvement in Hickey, Newness, Current, Ross etc we have a chance of moving up the ladder. If you don't have that hope members will drop off.

One year will be our year
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

How can a club with dwindling membership and generated income plan to be bottom 4 two years running? You would think that would really jeopardise the Saints financially, but under the current regime anything is possible I imagine.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
I don't buy into the bottom 4 idea either. It has been proven that the only way to improve is to have a solid base of very skilfull players and bring in the young players around them . Dal and Joey are exactly the sort of players for this role. Look at GWS who have mainly draftees and very high picks at that, and then compare to Geelong who have introduced the new players with a strong experienced base. With pick 3 and maybe a free agency pick together with natural improvement in Hickey, Newness, Current, Ross etc we have a chance of moving up the ladder. If you don't have that hope members will drop off.
And if you hover around mid to below mid table and then fall to the bottom, then members will drop off for a long long time.
We have no stars coming through, we need lots of high first round draft picks, at least 4-5 in the next 3 years, otherwise we have no hope of generating in the mid term.

What we do next year is not that relevant, except to short term finances maybe....

I would swap McEvoy for a high pick before Dal myself, then get Longer from Brisbane in the PSD.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
How can a club with dwindling membership and generated income plan to be bottom 4 two years running? You would think that would really jeopardise the Saints financially, but under the current regime anything is possible I imagine.
Not while the current TV agreement is in place, now is the time to do it....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bottom 4 and Basket case are entirely different things.
Building a premiership side from the ground up is hardly defeatist - tell that to Alistair Clarkson who finished 14th (16 teams) in 2005.
Its not defeatist if you know what youre doing and have a serious plan.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Building a premiership side from the ground up is hardly defeatist - tell that to Alistair Clarkson who finished 14th (16 teams) in 2005.

Tanking then :twisted:

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Has Delaney ever played a great game ?

In red white and black from 73
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Dal santo could play till he's at least 35 .
He appear's to have a fairly robust body , he's never been super quick , so relies on his silky skills.
I think we would be silly to get rid of him

In red white and black from 73
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Has Delaney ever played a great game ?
no...not a patch on chips either..

good read in i"nside football" from keenan stating that dal's departure wouldn't leave the saints in better nick....'''crackers reckons..and most footballing people would agree with him.....that you need experience to help stiffen up a young side...also states that if the saints struggle early next year the coach will come under scrutiney.....in his view scott would be better of f keeping him.....finishes up by stating what to me is bleeding obvious......"you don't need members getting unhappy about the club constantly releasing favourite sons"....amen to that crackers......

...you guys should read the whole article.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
longtimesaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
You can't build a premiership side with only early picks -Hawthorn in 2005 still had Hodge, Mitchell etc. keeping Dal and Joey is the correct way

One year will be our year
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
lets be honest its better to prepare the fans for a year of pain and leave them suprised of the possible improve than promiss the world and offer up what is expected ...

the club is pretty clear with this that they know we have got some hard times coming and they ask us fans to keep the faith during this hard time while we build the next generation of Saints stars .. personally i think the club coming out and being honest about it is refreshing and i look forward to 2014 not because we might play finals but because im seeing the start of a new era , im excited about seeing the new faces make a name at the club , im looking forward to that unpredictability that the young blokes will bring ...

i personally feel more pumped for season 2014 than i have for a long time (2009 and 2010 exception)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: You can't build a premiership side with only early picks -Hawthorn in 2005 still had Hodge, Mitchell etc. keeping Dal and Joey is the correct way
Sam Mitchell was 22 and Luke Hodge was 21 at the time - a little bit different from Dal Santo and Monty who are closer to the end of their careers

Either way i very much doubt Monty will be going anywhere and I reckon we will only trade Dal if the deal is exceptional and favours us hands down unlike some on here who think we would be stupid to give him away for nothing

If North are that desperate for him then they will need to cough up - how desperate are they?? That remains to be seen

As it stands Dal is a contracted player and will be playing for us next year - it is not as if he is an uncontracted player and can walk for literally Sweet FA - we are in a strong position much like West Coast was with Mitch Brown last year

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
longtimesaint wrote: You can't build a premiership side with only early picks -Hawthorn in 2005 still had Hodge, Mitchell etc. keeping Dal and Joey is the correct way
Sam Mitchell was 22 and Luke Hodge was 21 at the time - a little bit different from Dal Santo and Monty who are closer to the end of their careers

Either way i very much doubt Monty will be going anywhere and I reckon we will only trade Dal if the deal is exceptional and favours us hands down unlike some on here who think we would be stupid to give him away for nothing

If North are that desperate for him then they will need to cough up - how desperate are they?? That remains to be seen

As it stands Dal is a contracted player and will be playing for us next year - it is not as if he is an uncontracted player and can walk for literally Sweet FA - we are in a strong position much like West Coast was with Mitch Brown last year
Saying the Hawks kept Mitchell/Hodge in 2005 is like us keeping Jack and Curren now.

In 2005 - the Hawks offloaded John Hay for pick 18 and Nathan Lonie for pick 14.
With pick 14 - they drafted Grant Birchall.
So I dont think you can compare Hodge/Mitchell in 2005 with Joey/Dal in 2013.
For starters Hodge and Mitchell are playing tonight - 8 years later and are still guns - I dont think Dal and Joey will be around in 8 years.
Either way we wont be offloading both Dal and Joey. And we will only do either for a pick <20.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: unlike some on here who think we would be stupid to give him away for nothing
Apologies meant to say unlike some who think we will give him away for nothing :oops:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
asaint
Club Player

No Milne, Kosi, Blake....and now we are considering trading Dal,Joey and fish. Any wonder I am stressed!

St Lenny
Club Player

Eastern wrote:I reckon that Pelchen (and possibly DalSanto) is playing games with the mainstream media, and possibly North Melbourne (EVERY club does it at this time of year). The trigger clause in Dal's contract means that there is NO RUSH to do anything as he is a contracted player. North Melbourne offering up a "HIGH" Draft pick for Dal? PLEASE. They are already committed to using their 1st Round pick on McDonald so they would have to trade another player out to get a "HIGH" Draft pick in that they could on-trade to us. I'm still debating with myself as to whether Footy Journos are STUPID, LAZY or BOTH !!
Eastern, I take my hat off to you. This is the truth. I agree, both.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting line by Dal Santos manager in that piece when he says "while clubs need to rebuild... they also need role models..."

That to me sounds like a player who doesn't really want to leave... but may have a club subtly pushing him out the door..

I hope Fisher is released or even one if our many HBF types but I'd keep Dal Santo - quality person, extremely durable and superb decision making/disposal which we really need and could use off the back half for a few years yet

Kids need quality leaders round them - he's quality I hope we hang on to him but I fear we won't

If he goes for a 20+ pick IMO its a nothing trade unless that's on sold for sub 20

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hawks also picked up max bailey in that 2005 draft.
Also playing right now.
Of course we need to keep some senior mature players.
The question is how many ?

70s sainter
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
It must be hard to methodically rebuild a side if you have to worry about fickle supporters who are too shallow to understand why the team is on the bottom .

Batnoe
Club Player

Are we good enough to win the flag with the current team? No
If we were would we have finished better than 16th? Yes
Trade stars whilst we have currency as even with a good year we can't challenge. Would rather be a basket case so we can challenge for 6 years in 4 years time.

Grow a brain plebs

Carn Saints
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Could have done dal for caddy last year maybe .