One last push!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: One last push!

spert wrote:Looking at who is coming through up through the ranks on this season's efforts, I would have to say that Curren will definately take the next step, and Ledger if he is still at the club and possibly Siposs and Dunnell, but my jury is out on Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Ross, Shenton and a few others. Some of those show glimpses of form, but will need a huge pre-season so they can play out four quarters and start pushing hard for a senior berth.
Webster and wright are miles better prospects than siposs and ledger imho.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The quicker we give up on even having a crack at the finals the quicker we will have a crack at trying to win the flag. That side is a top 12 side at best or even only top 14. And Dal has no hope of being at the saints next year. Still think Fisher will be though.
Exactly. It's a shame a few on here a still deluded though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Event with our best team on the park and a great run with injury the best we could possibly hope for is to scrape into the bottom part of the 8. We just don't have the depth of quality required at present.

if you cant make finals you want to rebuild your list with as many quality young players as quickly as possible. That mostly means getting your hands on early draft picks, but remembering that early draft picks alone is no guarantee of success without putting the right senior players and off field structures around them to mentor and shape them into what you need.

We need to take our medicine over the next 2 -3 drafts .. history shows the rise up the ladder can them come very quickly once the foundation is built.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Is this 2010 again?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re trading Fisher and Dal. It must be remembered that Sam is 31 already, and Dal 29. Only Lenny is older than Sam. Both Sam and Dal will be retired within a few seasons, so it makes sense to move them on if we can get good trades for them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Is this 2010 again?

It seems quite a few people on here feel comforted in living in 2010.
Facing the cold hard truth of where we are at seems a bridge too far for some. It is painful.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you push too hard you are in danger of follow through

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

On last push....to pop the kiddies out do you mean? YOU were the one who wanted more kids remember. Now I'm not looking that attractive and can't give you the wins you lust for you suddenly want to go back to how it was before? Well too late Mr Man. We are currently in labour with a rebirth, I mean rebuild. It's going to be painful, bloody, noisy, with lots of screaming. I can't even guarantee that what the hell will pop out will be any good. ACA are doing stories about how we can't stop our current children acting like hooligans - getting done for drugs and arson. We're struggling to make ends meet and when I see my ex (Ross Lyon) doing so well I just want to die. Stop living on past glories. We're building a new family here and its about time you put the "support" in supporter.

And red white and black stripes make me look fat!. :cry:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The white flag was up last year,......

groupie1
Club Player

Tough on Wright... and are we forgetting Markworth and the great white hope up forward?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

Let's be bullish... imagine 3-4 of the youngsters kick on next year: Siposs, Newnes, Ross and Wright. Dal Santo released to half back. Schneids plays forward and stays fit. We get some tall backs. Recruit a hardened midfielder or two. Stanley and Hickey come on strong. Lee becomes a significant force. Pressure from Murdoch and Webster. Our great young forward hope comes in. A good run with injuries. And we have no space for Ray and Gilbert. Port Adelaide turned it around quick. Pies, Cats, Hawks begin to fade. Things change in footy pretty quick.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Gershwin
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:On last push....to pop the kiddies out do you mean? YOU were the one who wanted more kids remember. Now I'm not looking that attractive and can't give you the wins you lust for you suddenly want to go back to how it was before? Well too late Mr Man. We are currently in labour with a rebirth, I mean rebuild. It's going to be painful, bloody, noisy, with lots of screaming. I can't even guarantee that what the hell will pop out will be any good. ACA are doing stories about how we can't stop our current children acting like hooligans - getting done for drugs and arson. We're struggling to make ends meet and when I see my ex (Ross Lyon) doing so well I just want to die. Stop living on past glories. We're building a new family here and its about time you put the "support" in supporter.

And red white and black stripes make me look fat!. :cry:
'It's going to be painful'. You better believe it! I was there going to 99% of the games in the 1970's - 1980's and I know what painful is. That's why I am questioning whether trading out Dal Santo, Fisher et al after letting Goddard go last year is the only way to go. Believe me it ain't going to be pretty in the years to come but you don't need to worry about me being a supporter sunshine, I'm in for the long haul just as I always have been.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: 'It's going to be painful'. You better believe it! I was there going to 99% of the games in the 1970's - 1980's and I know what painful is. That's why I am questioning whether trading out Dal Santo, Fisher et al after letting Goddard go last year is the only way to go. Believe me it ain't going to be pretty in the years to come but you don't need to worry about me being a supporter sunshine, I'm in for the long haul just as I always have been.
Well what about when I caught you at 3 am watching a dvd of Gold Coast and GWS playing with each other "ooooohh.....so young, so talented, so tanned"?

Seriously though did you see those packs in the freo/geel and Syd/Hawks games? It was one step down from the UFC in there. It's going to take years to get to that level. I'm not sure about trading Dal either. As much as I pompously prognosticate here and at the pub, I'm glad I'm not a list manager making these decisions.