Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Dal

Sam Reid and a decent pick from Sydney or something like that

Kickit
Club Player

bergholt wrote:In the last 10 years he's played 234 games - an average of more than 23 per year. I wonder how many other players in the AFL have played 10 years in a row of 22 or more games?

Even Jim Stynes couldn't do that, he missed a few in 93. Adam Goodes, Brad Johnson, Marcus Ashcroft, Andrew McLeod, Scott West - none of the most durable players have ever managed to match the number of games Dal has played in the last decade.

I dunno if we should keep him or not, but he's got an amazingly durable body.
Leigh Montagna and Milney have been pretty good. I'm going to miss the consistency of having them there.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Of course it's a shame!

I'd like to see our champions retire as saints.... Why was last weekend so great?!

Sending off three greats....

Would you like me to do the same analysis with Geelong?!

To see how many of their stars walked.... One got an offer he couldn't refuse....Enright, Hunt, Corey, chappy, Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J. Mackie, Varcoe, Lonergan,..... Just from memory
All the others retirees
Harley, Mooney, Ling, Wojo, Scarlett, Millburn, Ottens

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Of course it's a shame!

I'd like to see our champions retire as saints.... Why was last weekend so great?!

Sending off three greats....

Would you like me to do the same analysis with Geelong?!

To see how many of their stars walked.... One got an offer he couldn't refuse....Enright, Hunt, Corey, chappy, Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J. Mackie, Varcoe, Lonergan,..... Just from memory
All the others retirees
Harley, Mooney, Ling, Wojo, Scarlett, Millburn, Ottens
3 flags will give you that luxury. Players tend to want to maximise their chances at a flag - and for Geelong that has meant their players all want to stay put.
Funny that.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Well said BM .. and you could probably go through every club we want to be like and they generally all keep and honour their champs to the very end. Its only the 'weaker' clubs like St Kilda, the Bulldogs etc that get convinced they should trade their champs so they can get fresh blood in.

The bizarre things is, we probably send off our champs that do stay as good as , if not better than, any club in the league. I still remember being there for the send offs for Burke and Loewe and whilst I couldn't get to last weeks game, it looked every bit as good as those 2 great games. It would have been nice if we could have sent Harves off in a home game, but I still remember sitting there with every other ST Kilda fan waiting until the very end of the game despite being pantsed by the Hawks. It was an honour to watch the great man go around 1 last tine.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we win a flag or get back in the top 3 then maybe players will want to come to us.
People mixing up their 'cause and effect'. Its not that keeping your players makes you strong its that once you are strong players want to stay and players want to come to you. There is a theory on this - but Im guessing this aint the forum to explain it. Suffice to say - we should concentrate on winning games and getting things right in training development and recruitment before we worry about how we honour our 'legends'. Lets just get a f*cking flag.

Will Dal help us win a flag in the future? Definitely NO
Will some trade help us win a flag? Perhaps.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Con, how do you know the player received forDal will win you anything? Might not even debut???

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Con, how do you know the player received forDal will win you anything? Might not even debut???
Que?
Dal might get run over by a bus tomorrow. I never said I knew anything. I never said I wanted to trade Dal for anyone. I said its not black and white and to weight up each trade on its own merits. There is no point just saying 'no trade'. Would you trade Dal for Jaegar O'meara? I have nfi what might happen - but I'm open minded about it. I also realise he is a human being and Id take his views into account as well. I'm just not going to rant and rave about 'seeing our champions retire like Geelong' or some other emotional rant.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If (and its a big if) Barrett is right I reckon that Dal is now considering moving because the club have floated his name as trade bait with other clubs. Players get pretty pissed off when they hear that on the grapevine. I know players do say things and contradict themselves later, but Dal seemed extremely genuine about not wanting to go and he doesn't seem the type to play games like BJ. I wonder if the club is going after pick 1 doing some sort of package deal or three way trade.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

holy s*** this is ridiculous putting a THE SAINT up for trade bait

ridiculous

please keep dal, it makes me sick to the stomach this casual talk of letting him go.

name any stkilda player with a better ddelivery than him in our entire history
this kind of ability and talent is rare

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Different situation to BJ I think.
BJ was shot and needed a seachange after 2010. He was never going to get back to 2010 heights in the saints jumper (or maybe any other?)
I'm glad we didn't pay overs to keep him- and got good compo in Hickey and Lee. Win Win.

I'd doubt Dal would be looking for a pay rise at this stage, and we wouldn't likely get as good compo either.

As others have said, he could well play till 34... we'd be nuts to let him go for anything less than a first round pick.
Realistically that's not going to happen... so we keep him and get plenty more years out of a quality mid.
Will be veteran listed next year too wont he? another tick

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Con, how do you know the player received forDal will win you anything? Might not even debut???
What's the chance that Dal will win us a flag, at this point in his career? Approximately zero.

So the guy we draft with the pick we get for Dal has an infinitely better chance of being part of the next Saints premiership side than Dal does.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He could play for 6 more years... A lot can happen in that time

A lot happened between 1998 and 2004

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He could play for 6 more years... A lot can happen in that time

I dont get what you actually want. say he wants to leave. Do you think we should say no so he then leaves the next year for nothing. Its pretty obvious we should keep him if he wants to stay and let him go if we get a suitable trade and he also wants to go.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

"Could". He'll be 30 at the start of next year, so at the start of the sixth year from now he'll be 35. How many players are still playing at that age?

On the other hand, the kid drafted with that pick would be 24 and just coming into his prime. What's the chance that Dal will be more productive at 35 than a 24 year old first/second round pick?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

"Could". He'll be 30 at the start of next year, so at the start of the sixth year from now he'll be 35. How many players are still playing at that age?

On the other hand, the kid drafted with that pick would be 24 and just coming into his prime. What's the chance that Dal will be more productive at 35 than a 24 year old first/second round pick?

Probably none but its much better to bag the club at every opportunity.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Dont care, flog him off anywhere for a 1st rounder and a player we require.

If Carlton, North, Suns or GWS can come up with that, do it.

Thanks Dal, maybe you can learn to break a tag somewhere else.

Looks good off a HBF (like Goddard) with no tag (Goddard at leasat could still have an impact with a tag).
What sort of impact did Goddard have with a tag? Other than his advances in the art of sooking?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Dont care, flog him off anywhere for a 1st rounder and a player we require.

If Carlton, North, Suns or GWS can come up with that, do it.

Thanks Dal, maybe you can learn to break a tag somewhere else.

Looks good off a HBF (like Goddard) with no tag (Goddard at leasat could still have an impact with a tag).
What sort of impact did Goddard have with a tag? Other than his advances in the art of sooking?

At least he could go in and get the ball.

Dal Santo has always been a bit of an outside mid. Goddard much harder at in the middle.

Goddard looks good off a HBF with no tag, Dal looks good there as well.

I say trade him if he wants to go.

Maybe we could trade him for an ice addict, thats the only thing that makes BM happy apparently.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'll give.you the red hot hot tip.
Dal.doesn't give a.f*** about the.saints.
Did you.watch the.hawks tonight ?
We are.so far.of the.pace.its.not funny.
You.guys.can run yourself with 2009.comfort all day.
It's.done.
We are screwed.
If someone offers something good for Dal take it.
I don't care if big mart wants to touch himself at a send off game when we finish last.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The second line gives your post no credibility

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con; not for the first time, I think you're losing it.

Medicate son; MEDICATE!!!!!

On the Ball
Club Player

I would be more than happy if we could get a mid 1st round pick for Dal Santo. In a time when the club desperately needs leaders, he has failed dismally.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

bergholt wrote:

Or the kid could have been long delisted by that point after being deemed a 'bust' or due to ongoing injuries. Getting a draft pick doesn't bring any guarantees.

Unless we got a top 10 pick for NDS we should keep him.

I'd be disgusted to see another Saints champ of the last decade get shipped out the door.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I'll give.you the red hot hot tip.
Dal.doesn't give a.f*** about the.saints.
Did you.watch the.hawks tonight ?
We are.so far.of the.pace.its.not funny.
You.guys.can run yourself with 2009.comfort all day.
It's.done.
We are screwed.
If someone offers something good for Dal take it.
I don't care if big mart wants to touch himself at a send off game when we finish last.

Con you do sometimes lose the plot. Im sure about 3 years ago we had a continued discussion on you saying Jack was slow and me saying no he is very fast. have I got that right? I cant work out how over the last 8 or so weeks you have completely lost the plot regarding our club. Its like you never saw it coming. it was always going to happen. it will turn around. Dont lose the plot mate.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Or the kid could have been long delisted by that point after being deemed a 'bust' or due to ongoing injuries. Getting a draft pick doesn't bring any guarantees.

Unless we got a top 10 pick for NDS we should keep him.

I'd be disgusted to see another Saints champ of the last decade get shipped out the door.

Your saying that like we are getting rid of him. say he has said to the club I would like a trade? What should the club do then? By the way we arent getting a top 10 pick for him.