Greatest Kosi Memories?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Greatest Kosi Memories?

Thought one should be stated for the big fella. Someone else can do a Blakey one?

Kosi has had a roller coaster of a career. One of my fave memories is the first time I saw him play live, Round 2 2003 v Crows at the Dome. The boys blitzed that day, all these future stars on full display: Roo on a wing, X dashing off half back. And the lanky form of the Kos in the forward line marking strongly and kicking a few.

I've always considered Kosi a cool looking dude. He reminds me a bit of a young Duff McKagan (minus the former prodigious drinking and bass skills) though a lot of people liken him to Nadal. I remember going to watch the Saints at the old Carrara in Rd 10 of the 2009 season. The boys beat Melbourne to record their 10th straight win of that glorious what might have been year. My daughter had her face painted in Sts colours and I said what number do you want on your face? I'd been showing her pics of the Kos that week so she picked 23! After the game we hung around to try and meet him but a fan function had Gears, CJ and Gwilty there so we got pics with them.

The final siren of the 2009 PF was special too, with Kosi embracing Kingy...we finally got there. He took a great saving mark too in the Dogs fwd line in those last minutes.

Anyway, love ya big fella and good luck in retirement and enjoy the time with your family!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Greatest Kosi Memories?

This.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Anyway, love ya big fella and good luck in retirement and enjoy the time with your family!
Ditto

This from the Kos today...

"Clearly, early in the year I realised it was going to be my last in AFL footy, but it was never about trying to play 200 games.

"It was to focus on what my purpose was about and it was about growing this great group around (me) and celebrating what sort of legacy we can leave.

"And, with a few other guys coming towards the end of their careers, making sure the stones are in place for the club to go forward.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/afl- ... ell-250238

saints66
Club Player

Thirty seconds to go in the 2010 Drawn Grand Final, the ball kicked to the top of the square and hitting Kosi in the back of the head and it was then cleared to the boundary for the siren to sound. All he had to do was turn around and mark it on his chest unopposed, but he was stuffed.

Always loved the man and hoped for a return to his earlier form but sort of summed up his career.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:Thirty seconds to go in the 2010 Drawn Grand Final, the ball kicked to the top of the square and hitting Kosi in the back of the head and it was then cleared to the boundary for the siren to sound. All he had to do was turn around and mark it on his chest unopposed, but he was stuffed.

Always loved the man and hoped for a return to his earlier form but sort of summed up his career.

Surely that didnt happen.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saints66 wrote:Thirty seconds to go in the 2010 Drawn Grand Final, the ball kicked to the top of the square and hitting Kosi in the back of the head and it was then cleared to the boundary for the siren to sound. All he had to do was turn around and mark it on his chest unopposed, but he was stuffed.

No it didn't, it was 42 seconds to go. Leigh Montagna kicked the ball into the hot spot, about twenty out. Kosi did have to turn and run back a bit but Maxwell took the first grab. He then got a second grab but Kosi took it out of his hands and it was play on. A few seconds later, the ball spilled to Jason Blake, who was unmarked. He couldn't pick it up and kicked it forward to a Collingwood player. But there was a lot of fumbling in that last few minutes. Had it grabbed it and fired, it coodabeen 1966 all over again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No it didn't, it was 42 seconds to go. Leigh Montagna kicked the ball into the hot spot, about twenty out. Kosi did have to turn and run back a bit but Maxwell took the first grab. He then got a second grab but Kosi took it out of his hands and it was play on. A few seconds later, the ball spilled to Jason Blake, who was unmarked. He couldn't pick it up and kicked it forward to a Collingwood player. But there was a lot of fumbling in that last few minutes. Had it grabbed it and fired, it coodabeen 1966 all over again.

So it was nothing like what was suggested. i have never seen the game again and all I remember was Blake fumbling in the last 40 or so seconds.

noob
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That pretty much sums up Blake's career. Literally ran over the ball.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Kosi did have a chance to mark and actually got first purchase on the ball. But the weight of numbers and tiredness and desperation all contrived to spill the ball free. So close...

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Some more highlights of the Kos.

I will always remember him too as one of the most skilful big men to have played the game. His left foot passing on the run skills were brilliant when he did it. A lot of opposition fans bag him but they never saw a lot of his sublime skills.

He had as much talent if not more than Roo. Just never quite got it going on a regular basis.

Give 'em hell on Saturday, bro!

saints66
Club Player

stevie wrote:Kosi did have a chance to mark and actually got first purchase on the ball. But the weight of numbers and tiredness and desperation all contrived to spill the ball free. So close...
6.40 minute mark.

He made a great attempt to mark and probably would have marked it if he turned aound

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
stevie wrote:Kosi did have a chance to mark and actually got first purchase on the ball. But the weight of numbers and tiredness and desperation all contrived to spill the ball free. So close...
6.40 minute mark.

He made a great attempt to mark and probably would have marked it if he turned aound

Please never post that again. i still get tears in my eyes. But at least i know Kosi never dropped mark when he was on his own. how he touched it was amazing.

saints66
Club Player

and he would have been our 2010 Barry Breen.

Oh well thanks Kosi and good luck in your future

Greg T
Club Player

True,certainly was a coodabeen moment.
All happened pretty quick,nearly marked it.
Lots of pressure around the ball and players etc....

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
starsign
Club Player

Taking off my Saints jumper and lending it to him at his request for a promo photo shoot session at Wodonga during the community camp a few years back
Good luck big fella and all the best M8!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
saints66 wrote:
6.40 minute mark.

Please never post that again. i still get tears in my eyes. But at least i know Kosi never dropped mark when he was on his own. how he touched it was amazing.
Is actually a form of torture. Likewise I've never seen that footage (other than live on the day) and never will again. Made me feel crook.

God_Nel
Club Player

stevie wrote:
I will always remember him too as one of the most skilful big men to have played the game. His left foot passing on the run skills were brilliant when he did it. A lot of opposition fans bag him but they never saw a lot of his sublime skills.
Absolutely agree. I reckon there haven't been many better, natural and consistent set shots and pack markers than Kosi in the modern game. People seem to either feel sorry for or mock the guy for being some 'vastly unfulfilled talent'. I'd say considering the circumstances of his size, run with injury and the pace of the game of late, he has still done bloody well for himself and gave all he could for his club over 199, soon to be 200 games. You could do a hell of a lot worse.

Anyways, my greatest memory was against Carlton in 2005 when Roo was out for the second time that year I think and Kosi just took giant mark after giant mark, kicked 4 and was far and away BOG that day against the Blues who were on their way to collect a wooden spoon to go with their pre-season 'Wok'. (Not to forget Cain 'Street' Ackland popping up with 3 majors also)

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Just is franetic and overall attack on the football in the air. No matter what harm it was going to do to himself he alway's endevoured to create a contest at the least.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Stewie on Kosi and milney and Blakey
https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/stewart- ... kosi-blake

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned those magnificent 4 or 5 games on the trot in 2005 (in the Ruck). In those games he was a good as anybody I'd seen, an incredible display. Alas he cracked his skull the next year.

busso mick
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:I cannot believe that no one has mentioned those magnificent 4 or 5 games on the trot in 2005 (in the Ruck). In those games he was a good as anybody I'd seen, an incredible display. Alas he cracked his skull the next year.
It was his best form of his career with the following statistics:

Round 14 : 19 disposals, 11 hitouts, 3 goals, 2 votes
Round 15 : 23 disposals, 13 hitouts, 4 goals, 3 votes
Round 16 : 16 disposals, 2 hitouts, 5 goals, 3 votes
Round 17 : 18 disposals, 14 hitouts, 5 goals, 3 votes

At the time I thought he would become the next big thing, but his facial injury in 2006 put paid to that.

Even so he has been a very solid contributor over the journey. I haven't seen him live too often but he did play very well against the Eagles in Banger's 350th.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pack Marking

My favourite skill, and he was one of the rare ones who could clunk a pack buster.... In 2009 he was in good contested marking form