Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey

Have been a fan since early on and happy to see him improving in increments.

Like all the others - give him time.

Mac is a ruckman and will be back. Seems cooked.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Have been a fan since early on and happy to see him improving in increments.

Like all the others - give him time.

Mac is a ruckman and will be back. Seems cooked.
Reginald is developing very nicely. He's a bit quirky and he's got tricks, which is interesting for a chap of his size. Got some sort of weird adhesive flowing from the pores in his hands, too.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thought Hickey was better around the ground than Ben today. In fact I know he was. He is also pretty good at ground level, and I reckon his second efforts are better. I Think Macca is great, but I think Hickey is more versatile.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

He was great today

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah must say i too liked the cut of his jib today

if he develops a bit more each year then hello tap ruckman possibly

saw a few glimpses of it today

didnt look like he could do anything when we first saw him in a saints jumper

get another pre season into him
look to the future

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Not even close to McEvoy...

And he's not a forward.... Poor mans Warnock.
'Look at moi' 'look at moiiiiii'

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The jury is still out. Has shown glimpses of potential - but like Tom Lee , has not delivered on the expectation that was heaped on him for being part of the pick 12 & 13 deals. Really hope he can have an injury free year pre-season so we can have a good look at him early 2014. Needs to show further progress in 2014 to give the fans some hope that we are on the right track.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:The jury is still out. Has shown glimpses of potential - but like Tom Lee , has not delivered on the expectation that was heaped on him for being part of the pick 12 & 13 deals. Really hope he can have an injury free year pre-season so we can have a good look at him early 2014. Needs to show further progress in 2014 to give the fans some hope that we are on the right track.
How long did Goddard take to justify no1 pick?
I would suggest at least 4 years!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Much better last 5 quarters...

Hope he keeps it up.

If he could prove me wrong and be damaging up forward, I will not complain

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:He will be one of the best ruckmen in the competition by 2015. I'm calling it now.
I'm with you.

Jarred
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:He will be one of the best ruckmen in the competition by 2015. I'm calling it now.
I'm with you.
Yep one of the top 18 or so :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The improvement will be huge- he was a volley baller about 4 years ago and he is still learning the game. His scope for improvement is massive. I can see him being a star- there is something Spider Everitt about him with out the moron factor.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SainterK wrote:Much better last 5 quarters...

Hope he keeps it up.

Agreed SK, I get the feeling he has just gotten over some niggles. The last couple of weeks is the first time I haven't seen him limping by the end of the game.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Was very good today. Some of the crap written about him was way to early. <edited by mods>
Con does go early but better than not at all I agree!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

First it was Stanley.... The next big thing, and the second coming.... Rhys 'Dustin' Stanley

The Arryn 'BJ' Siposs

How about the master stroke of recruiting Saad and Milera... They were certain stars...

Now.... Tom 'already better than McEvoy' Hickey

We'll see? But of course, if I mention it in a year or so, it'll be hindsight....

But Ledger... Mmm he gets a different set of standards....
One we're trying to defend his selection.... Still not explained (unless we go back to 4 interchanges)
The other, we justify a non selection??
It's strange how people are held to different standards

Overall
11 matches, 10ppg, 13 hit outs, 3.8 marks, 0.9 contested, 0.2 goals, 1.7 tackles, 1.0 clearances
Macca
21 matches, 11.5ppg, 22 hit outs, 4.8 marks 1.5 contested, .25 goals, 3.0 tackles, 1.8 clearances

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BigMart wrote:First it was Stanley.... The next big thing, and the second coming.... Rhys 'Dustin' Stanley

The Arryn 'BJ' Siposs

How about the master stroke of recruiting Saad and Milera... They were certain stars...

We'll see? But of course, if I mention it in a year or so, it'll be hindsight....

One we're trying to defend his selection.... Still not explained (unless we go back to 4 interchanges)

Overall
11 matches, 10ppg, 13 hit outs, 3.8 marks, 0.9 contested, 0.2 goals, 1.7 tackles, 1.0 clearances
Macca
21 matches, 11.5ppg, 22 hit outs, 4.8 marks 1.5 contested, .25 goals, 3.0 tackles, 1.8 clearances
What are you waffling on about ???

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Overall
Macca
You've written some gems over the journey… but comparing career averages of a 20 game ruckmen vs a 90 game ruckmen is some of your finest work… Absolutely pointless.

McEvoy's stats from his first 20 games would be well behind Hickey's, but again it's a pretty pointless exercise.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
BigMart wrote:First it was Stanley.... The next big thing, and the second coming.... Rhys 'Dustin' Stanley

The Arryn 'BJ' Siposs

Overall
Macca
What are you waffling on about ???
He's trying to look like he can see the future but hasn't seen enough of the past to be certain.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Macca
You've written some gems over the journey… but comparing career averages of a 20 game ruckmen vs a 90 game ruckmen is some of your finest work… Absolutely pointless.

McEvoy's stats from his first 20 games would be well behind Hickey's, but again it's a pretty pointless exercise.
It's relevant if people are saying Hickey is already better than McEvoy.

But McEvoy's stats probably look better because he's played at least 10 games without Hickey and he plays as pretty much the only ruckman. It would be interesting to see that stats when they are both in the team. And more importantly, is that good for the team?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
dragit wrote:
Macca

It's relevant if people are saying Hickey is already better than McEvoy.

But McEvoy's stats probably look better because he's played at least 10 games without Hickey and he plays as pretty much the only ruckman. It would be interesting to see that stats when they are both in the team. And more importantly, is that good for the team?
Even if you thought he was better than McEvoy already, not sure if career averages would show this… The difference in matches played makes an overall average pointless.

Here are their stats when playing together this year (an important missing stat is the amount of ruck contests competed)
Ben McEvoy v Tom Hickey for Season 2013

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp ... rs=2182%2C

Hickey is going pretty well for a guy just hitting a full season's worth of AFL games, a fair way to go before we would favour him over McEvoy though.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Jarred wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
I'm with you.
Yep one of the top 18 or so :wink:
name 17 ruckmen that are better than him now/will be better than him in 2 years

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:name 17 ruckmen that are better than him now/will be better than him in 2 years
There'd be 40 better ruckmen now… 2 years time is a bit tough, ask BM in 5 years.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isn't he already better than Macca..... Macca gets smashed on here for being poor, yet a guy with half the numbers get talked up?

Can't compare them
Ok I'll compare his stats to a 5 game Ruckman from Collingwood.... Drafted 5 picks after the one we used to secure him..... And he's 18 and haven't had 4 years in the system?

How do you fit two Ruckmen in a side... Without losing rotations? Please explain....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In two years IMO... If I mention this in two years it will hindsight...

Jacobs, Natinui, Z. Smith, C.Dixon, Luenberger, Kruzer, Bellchabers, Vardy, Goldstein, Maric, Grundy, Pyke, McEvoy.... Just off the top of my head

Don't know much about
Lobbe, Daw and a few of the recently drafted or developing Ruckman....

Jarred
Club Player

I'm with you.[/quote]

Yep one of the top 18 or so :wink:[/quote]

name 17 ruckmen that are better than him now/will be better than him in 2 years[/quote]

Big Mac, Mummy, Grundy, Giles, Vardy, Ryder, Belchambers, Luenburger, Jacobs, Lobbe, Maric, Kruzer, Roughhead, Bailey, Nic Nat, Goldstein, Minson, Hale, Pyke, Clarke, Smith.... I could name the 30 in front of him on the stats on the AFL website but i chose the ones who should be around in 2 years.