Nicky Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Nicky Dal

I know a club that desperately needs Dal's services.

StKilda.

I am sure he will retire a 300 game, 1 club legend of the StKilda Football Club. He has earnt that right.

Saint supporter since '62
Freebird
Club Player

For the clubs heart to beat it has to show loyalty...
Don't give up our champions in their later years unless they want to go.

Ok to retire them for deminishing form but Dal is the first one tagged for a reason

Dal is a St Kilda pin-up

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Dal for Tiges 1st pick (13 or so)

Macca, Gwilty & pick 20 to GWS for Pick 10 & Adams

Pick 10 to Tiges for Martin (after he holds them to ransom).

Draft Aish/Kelly or Billings at Pick 3, Bontompelli or Freeman at pick 13

Midfield rebuild 90% done!

Gwilty is worth nil. That trade is very good but not for GWS.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I posted this in the 2014 thread ... but worth a run in this thread as is on topic. Please note I have no inside knowledge on this matter and had not heard the Richmond / Dal rumour but when I was writing up my post in the 2014 thread ... this deal became an interesting match of needs between 2 clubs!

Here are my thoughts:

- Richmond have a stated objective of a premiership within 2 years as a part of their 5 year plan
- Richmond have paid overs for getting talent in over the past few years - a few players each year
- Richmond have had to pay Riewoldt and now Martin (assuming they will) a lot more $s
- Richmond will have a MAJOR salary cap squeeze
- Conca also wants more $s (and deserves them) ... but remains unsigned (as far as I know)

If we went to Richmond with a deal where we swapped Dal for Conca or Dal / pick 4 for Conca / Griffiths we can give them something they really need ...

SALARY CAP!

Let's assume Dal is on 450,000 for 2014 (subject to fitness test)

Conca + Griffiths would be combined 350,000 for Richmond currently however Conca is now worth that amount on his own - maybe more and Griffiths is worth $150,000 still.

To keep Conca and Griffiths, Richmond meed $500,000 + of salary cap.

Option 1 for them is to trade out Griffiths alone for a draft pick - which saves them $100,000 (the drfat pick has to be paid $50,000 year 1) but $100,000 saving is not enough!

If the Saints come along and say we will give you Dal (and pay $300,000 of his $450,000 salary for 2014) + a fourth rounder ... suddenly the cost is:

Dal @ $150,000 for 2014 from Richmond's cap
Draft pick for $50,000 for 2014

TOTAL $200,000

Or they can keep Conca + Griffiths and pay $500,000

In a tight cap situation ... saving $300,000 is a big deal.

And they can sell it to their members ... we got Dal ... the class we need ... just the top up we need to have a real tilt at the flag ... not going to be tagged with Cotchin, Deludio etc in our team blah blah ... and to be honest Dal is only being tagged out of games because we lack quality midfielders.

And why would we pay $300,000 in 2014 to secure Conca and Griffiths on top of the $s we will have to pay? Because we have heaps of salary cap for 2014 ... and it has to be spent ... and it will be viewed as a transfer fee to secure a quality young midfielder and a 200cm defensive monster.

Of course that $300,000 is a 1 year payment, which means we have that money opening up again in 2015 for player acquisition / retention.

Dal would love to stay and the Saints would love him to stay but it is a win / win for club and player. Dal gets a chance at finals footy and maybe a premiership while he can still play and the Saints get two key players in their very early 20s (and use up some of our 2014 salary cap) who peak in 2016+

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintact7
Club Player

NDS has been great for us for a long time and been a class player but now looks disinterested. Clearly the case last week against Swans, just going through the motions, and of little trade value I would think, unless someone thinks they can reignite him. Would like him to finish with Saints though, just needs an attitude change, and he could hopefully be a great mentor to the young mids.