Who are leaving at seasons end?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Who are leaving at seasons end?

starsign wrote:Haven't we got our eye on a couple of Kiwi rookies?
There's one kid in NZ on a scholarship as I understand it....

Maybe someone else can clarify that?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

But which ones should go, Barry? Curren has looked OK at AFL level. Ferguson and Staley are tall defenders and we're desperately short of those guys. Minchington has played one AFL game and showed a little. Shenton is apparently playing well at VFL level. Which ones get dumped?
bergholt

Whichever players we dont consider good enough to promote. They have all had at least two seasons at the club, so their time is up anyway.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

me

saintly
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
starsign wrote:Haven't we got our eye on a couple of Kiwi rookies?
There's one kid in NZ on a scholarship as I understand it....

yes, so far 1 kid has NZ scholarship will come under the international rookies,

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
True Believer wrote: There's one kid in NZ on a scholarship as I understand it....

yes, so far 1 kid has NZ scholarship will come under the international rookies,

Andreous
Club Player

Retirements:
Blake
Kosi
Milne

Delisted
Ledger (sad)
Lever
CJ
TDL

Trade bait
Stanley
Gilbert

Upgrade
Curren
Michie

Dal will stay. All media hype looking for next big free trade scoop. Lenny to have one more crack if body up for it.

McEvoy captain in 2014

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Dunell is on the main list now, will be given more time you'd think

I heard Watters say that Schneids will definitely be around next year.

I reckon we would have looked at keeping only one of Ray & Jones, with Ray re-signing, I'm not sure if they'll keep CJ.

Milne would have to be nearly a definite retirement, the legal issues aside, his form has been terrible, he'll be 34 next year.

If Ledger can't get a game now, the coaches have a problem with him.

My Guess
Out: 7
Kos, Blake, Milne, CJ, Milne, Saad, Ledger
Rookie upgrade: 1
Curren
Draft: 4
Free Agent - add 1 or 2
Trade: IN/OUT ???

Hope Lenny goes on, but this year has been frustrating for him, wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the pin.

What about Jay Lever?

I'm sure TDL would have got at least a 2 year deal when moving down from Sydney.
Agree with that other than CJ. Reckon they'll stick with him for another season.,

falka
Club Player

Where we at re delistings??

Just some discussion thoughts
It is not that clear cut to me, especially if
We want to have at least 3 picks at NDraft and upgrade maybe 1-3 rookies and leave room for someone to walk in say during pre season draft / free agent

Kosi- gone he has said as much
Milne - we all assume gone, but what if issues off field turn his way and he wanted another year?
Cj has had a decent year, but isn't future, another contract????
Blake- clearly gone, but our only key back v Swans due to injury and what if we don't find / draft key back????
Lever. Is a potential key back and coming from long way back bulk wise. I haven't seen Sandy but by position. Played you would lean toward 1 more pre season at least
Saad- many saying delist if banned. What if he got 1 year, do we hang on to him??? His 1st year says he deserves a spot???
Ledger - had papers stamped!
Dal- if no one offers a descent pick then definitely stays. Wouldn't get rid of him for unders. Need class mids
Tdl- has talent but obviously many think he is rubbish. Does he have a 2nd year on existing contract???
Fisher / Gwilt / Gilbert / Dempster- wouldn't de list but wouldn't offer any trade value so probably all stay?? Or do they??
Stanley / Siposs have possible trade value post pick 40, but do we persist??
Simpkin- no trade value / undersized back- contracted??? I love him, but does the club see future?
Tdl and Maister - re signed and zero trade value surely?
Dunell- has something about him. Certainly performs at Sandy and has shown bits at top level. Another pre season at least??

Then there are rookies. Not even gonna start, my brain hurts

lloyd21
Club Player

We are guessing a bit but you would think the next 2 drafts are really important so
Blake Kosi Milne Jones Lever Hayes Ledger Tdl Staley are gone .
Hayes not because of ability wants to coach think they will do a Winmar on TDL if he has 2 years.
Think there will be a focus away from small forwards to guys going thru midfield as the interchange cap will come in too.
They will have a crack at young players uncontracted eg Helbig (Rich) Bruce & Adams (Gws) Polec ( bne )not by trades
But offering $ .......you can see they want a lot of players on $400k no one $600

lloyd21
Club Player

Oops Saad gone too

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Have we got a full list? We have improved the list because you could argue reasons to keep most of the young guys on our list. Not too many that look like they are wasting a spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Have we got a full list? We have improved the list because you could argue reasons to keep most of the young guys on our list. Not too many that look like they are wasting a spot.

But football odds suggest 50% will be gone in 3 years time. And i reckon there are quite a few probably wasting spots.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Have we got a full list? We have improved the list because you could argue reasons to keep most of the young guys on our list. Not too many that look like they are wasting a spot.

But football odds suggest 50% will be gone in 3 years time. And i reckon there are quite a few probably wasting spots.

I know the stats- it's just we don't have too many guys like Winmar who after 3 years were still not really showing much. It might be that now they can see a spot in the seniors so are gunning for it but not too many obvious duds ATM.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I know the stats- it's just we don't have too many guys like Winmar who after 3 years were still not really showing much. It might be that now they can see a spot in the seniors so are gunning for it but not too many obvious duds ATM.
Well Ledger has played 3 games and whilst obviously better than Winmar at VFL level he isnt playing anymore AFL footy than him. i reckon TDL, Milera, Saad, Maister, Lever and a couple of others whilst not duds arent going to help us at all in the future. Happy to be proved wrong.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[quote="gringo"

Well Ledger has played 3 games and whilst obviously better than Winmar at VFL level he isnt playing anymore AFL footy than him. i reckon TDL, Milera, Saad, Maister, Lever and a couple of others whilst not duds arent going to help us at all in the future. Happy to be proved wrong.

Those guys might not end up being stars but you have said yourself we have a gulf of the middle career players and most of those guys at worst are the senior bodies that will protect our kids from getting slaughtered. Lever looks miles off it but is at least starting to show some VFL form. He is huge and young so worth persisting with. I think your mate ferg might be one of the unlucky ones unfortunately.

citywest

True Believer wrote:Following P66's format:

Certain to leave:
Blake
Kosi

probably leave:
Milne
Ledger
Saad
Hayes
Staley

Upgraded
Curran
Minchinton

Kept rookies
Dunell
Shenton
Lever

TRADED - Dal Santo. Where there's smoke, there's usually a fire. The whispers this year aren't as strong as with BJ, but I have a gut feeling based on last year that we will see the back of Dal.
If Dal is to be traded then I would hope that we get pick 25 or better!!!!

noob
Club Player

If we didn't get pick 25 or better would you trade our 2nd round pick and the compensation for a pick in the top 10?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

noob wrote:If we didn't get pick 25 or better would you trade our 2nd round pick and the compensation for a pick in the top 10?
Is pick 18 and 25 more valuable than 10?

Probably not as we need quantity as well as quality.

I would back our chances to pick up some quality with 18 or 25 compared to just pick 10

spert
Saintsational Legend

Apart from retirements, who do we need? We still need to look at quality midfielders and tall, stong backs. What roles do we see for Ross, Murdoch, Curren, Webster, Dunnell, Shenton, Minchington ,Ferguson, Markworth etc.? A couple of those may have to be let go in order to recruit for our deficiencies.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Apart from retirements, who do we need? We still need to look at quality midfielders and tall, stong backs. What roles do we see for Ross, Murdoch, Curren, Webster, Dunnell, Shenton, Minchington ,Ferguson, Markworth etc.? A couple of those may have to be let go in order to recruit for our deficiencies.
Dunnell is flaky but the rest will stay.

We just need to recruit top end talent wherever it is.

We are struggling all over the ground so we need to take the best available via the draft or simply trade for James Frawley

gringo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Apart from retirements, who do we need? We still need to look at quality midfielders and tall, stong backs. What roles do we see for Ross, Murdoch, Curren, Webster, Dunnell, Shenton, Minchington ,Ferguson, Markworth etc.? A couple of those may have to be let go in order to recruit for our deficiencies.

hopefully the two spots vacated by Kosi and Blake are taken by some talls- one a mature recruit and one a developing big backman like Rodda. You would think ferg is the most vulnerable rookie listed player.

Murdoch, Ross, Curren are mids so can possibly build into that role

Markworth, minchington, Dunell are all forwards from small to mid sized. All three offer some adaptability as they are multi dimensional.

Webster is a rebounding backman with wright and Roberton are all post Gwilt and Dempster small to mid sized backs.

Shenton is a proper utility so might be kept for that reason- he was a forward but can play back and even seems to be a possible mid fielder. Dunell is probably the same to some degree.

hard to know who they will delist this year I thought they might let Archer and Winmar go around again.

noob
Club Player

I will be disappointed if we don't recuit a young key backman in the draft. We've had a few years to get one.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I will be disappointed if we don't recuit a young key backman in the draft. We've had a few years to get one.

That's why i suggested Nick Rodda- he's a big bodied WA kid was unlucky not to get drafted last year and apparently has had a good year at WAFL level. There was talk of him going in the early 20s last year. Reminds me of Frawley but should grow a bigger frame.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
True Believer wrote:Following P66's format:

Certain to leave:
Blake
Kosi

probably leave:
Milne
Ledger
Saad
Hayes
Staley

Upgraded
Curran
Minchinton

Kept rookies
Dunell
Shenton
Lever

TRADED - Dal Santo. Where there's smoke, there's usually a fire. The whispers this year aren't as strong as with BJ, but I have a gut feeling based on last year that we will see the back of Dal.
If Dal is to be traded then I would hope that we get pick 25 or better!!!!
Well you would because if you really baracked for St kilda you would want to get the highest possible pick and 25 doesn't cut it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The Saints must try to get a mid first round pick, and have a go at getting Darcy Gardiner, a 194cm fullback, whi is considered the next best key position player to Boyd.