Can some please explain to me what Gwilt's appeal is?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can some please explain to me what Gwilt's appeal is?

Gwilt has stood Sandilands, Petrie and an assortment of guys who stand a head taller than him. I wonder why he struggled. He had an interrupted preseason and has been injured during the year. Fisher took the really tall players last year and wasn't able this season. Gilbert went down, Dempster has been injured at times. The defenders are forced to play way out of their weight division- hard to criticise what they have had to endure.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I will begrudgingly agree with this thread. I have had many an argument on here regarding how overrated Jimmy is on here. While I don't like saying told ya so or bagging our players, I don't think he'd be getting a game if our backline wasn't a basket case.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Kickit
Club Player

Yes he's been s***.
Its because he's been asked to play a role that he isn't able to.
He's struggled with injury and isn't able to play to his strengths.

He's a good defender on the right person, and he copes well with "Forward pressure" using his strength to get a decent disposal even if he's being tackled.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

he's our fuzzy wuzzy angel !

In red white and black from 73
saint6709
Club Player

Kickit wrote:Yes he's been s***.
Its because he's been asked to play a role that he isn't able to.
He's struggled with injury and isn't able to play to his strengths.

He's a good defender on the right person, and he copes well with "Forward pressure" using his strength to get a decent disposal even if he's being tackled.
Agree - our back line is totally undersized and our mids aren't winning enough footy - ball keeps coming in (all the time) and fast and often from deliberate kicks without pressure .

If we can get a key Backman and fisher returns and our mids can stem the flow of quality inside 50 entries from the opposition - then we might see gwilt not playing on somone 5 inches and 10kg bigger than him and playing some good footy again

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Gwilt has stood Sandilands, Petrie and an assortment of guys who stand a head taller than him. I wonder why he struggled. He had an interrupted preseason and has been injured during the year. Fisher took the really tall players last year and wasn't able this season. Gilbert went down, Dempster has been injured at times. The defenders are forced to play way out of their weight division- hard to criticise what they have had to endure.
Summed it up in a nutshell. This should be the final comment in this thread; negative comments about the question posed suggest many of the posters have never even played football at primary school let alone at an elite level. :?

Saint supporter since '62
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Slow

As a wet week

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
gringo wrote:Gwilt has stood Sandilands, Petrie and an assortment of guys who stand a head taller than him. I wonder why he struggled. He had an interrupted preseason and has been injured during the year. Fisher took the really tall players last year and wasn't able this season. Gilbert went down, Dempster has been injured at times. The defenders are forced to play way out of their weight division- hard to criticise what they have had to endure.
Summed it up in a nutshell. This should be the final comment in this thread; negative comments about the question posed suggest many of the posters have never even played football at primary school let alone at an elite level. :?

I forgot Simpkin taking the second tall on occasions last year as well. we have been cursed down back this year with even Newnes and Wright injured for periods. Thank god Roberton the guy most wanted delisted after a practice match stood up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Slow

As a wet week
Had to be injured on Friday though surely, was so slow from the very beginning… he made Roughhead look like Usain Bolt.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The backline struggles because it's manned by midgets, they do their best, against the best...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He has lost any pace he had by bulking up to be a pretend KPD

He needs to trim down and get into suitable position as a BP/HBF

Ridiculous what he's been asked to do?!

Less weights and more running for Gwilt, opposite for McEvoy.... Who attempting robe a mobile ruck man but is slow as treacle and should just become a contested marking monster..

Anyways...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He has lost any pace he had by bulking up to be a pretend KPD

Less weights and more running for Gwilt, opposite for McEvoy.... Who attempting robe a mobile ruck man but is slow as treacle and should just become a contested marking monster..

Anyways...

Gwilt hasnt put on any weight but if we can have a go at the club then lets take this chance.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

My shadow's the only one who walks beside me..

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He has lost any pace he had by bulking up to be a pretend KPD

Anyways...
He does look bigger but that might just be the affect of TV, it does distort reality.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Greg T
Club Player

Don't know why he gets bagged out .
Coming off a knee,playing in a piss poor side.
He seems a bit underdone , but that's 2013.
Always thought he was one of our better players.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We have the worst FB in the league.... Which unfortunately happens to be James...

Not really his fault though is it... I mean WTF has a 188cm FB IN 2013??

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The issue with Gwilt isn't the fact that he can't be a FB - there's no shame in getting beaten by guys with 10cm and 10kg on you, the issue is that he's no longer athletic enough to be a flanker. The knee injury seems to have robbed him of a fair bit of pace and agility, and he wasn't blessed with much of either before the injury.

He's too slow and lumbering to go with small forwards or athletic medium forwards and he's not big enough to play on talls. You could make a case that his kicking still gets him a spot but his disposal since the reco has been very ordinary. I don't see Gwilt as a regular player in the future. Once we get a couple of genuine tall defenders he should have too many in front of him to get a spot as a flanker. Dempster, Roberton and Fisher are far better medium defenders than him and Gilbert is probably slightly ahead. Newnes, Webster and Wright look like they could play 18+ games next year while Simpkin, Siposs, Dunell, Murdoch, Ferguson and Shenton would all gladly take Gwilt's spot as well.

If Gwilt can get his kicking back to 2010 standards then he could still have some value, but I'd rather have a player capable of keeping up with an opponent on the lead as well.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Slow

As a wet week

Is there anyone on StKildas list that actually isnt slow, to big, to small, unskilled, un fit , soft, uninterested? According to you of course?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The issue isn't so much Gwilt as football has changed in the last few years.
Yes is remarkable for his height but maybe players like him no longer fit in the Afl jungle.
He can't play midfield and he can't play on talls or shorts. He can't go fwd.
His only value is on a third tall like say a jack gunston and he isn't great when a player like gunston is in the lead. his strength is the one on one and there aren't that many of those anymore.
I think we have already seen the best of Gwilty.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Don't know why he gets bagged out .
Coming off a knee,playing in a piss poor side.
He seems a bit underdone , but that's 2013.
Always thought he was one of our better players.
This

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Why are whipping boys always dark skinned ....well except for Kosi. Tdl, Milera and Saad had better get back in to take the heat off Gwilty. At least Raph has gone.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Because a guy had a few good years and was a good player - doesnt mean they are good forever.
Heaps - I would say the vast majority of AFL players only really play 3 or so 'peak years'.

Only the absolute freaks have 5+ good years.

It is no disgrace that someone like Gwilty came from Noble Park and made it at the top level and had 2 or 3 great years. Its bloody admirable. We should be bloody happy he did it. But for the vast majority - the game passes you by very quickly.
Only a tiny % have a long career at the top.

onlooker2
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Because a guy had a few good years and was a good player - doesnt mean they are good forever.
Heaps - I would say the vast majority of AFL players only really play 3 or so 'peak years'.

Only the absolute freaks have 5+ good years.

It is no disgrace that someone like Gwilty came from Noble Park and made it at the top level and had 2 or 3 great years. Its bloody admirable. We should be bloody happy he did it. But for the vast majority - the game passes you by very quickly.
Only a tiny % have a long career at the top.

Spot on. As well as the above a knee reco takes a season (unless you are not a bit of a freak) and through circumstances he has being playng on the key forwards and not IMO his best position on the third tall. I also heard that he is playing with some injury although I don't know what it is. I was only told he is waiting for the season to end. Next season is the big test for him. He needs to regain his playmaking form which is so important to us. He is about the only one who can deliver the ball long and with precision out of the back half. If he can't get this form back his time may be up.