Some signs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Some signs

Lets face it, Hawks missing two superstars going at half rat power still beat us by 7 goals but..

Murdoch didn't look out of place

Webster tried hard and continues to improve

Newness disposal and attack on the football getting better all the time

Saunders. Love his attack and run

Roberton, continues to be in the Saints best

Kids not setting the world on fire but getting games into them and they continue to improve

Yours sincerly

Pollyanna

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some signs

Forgot Michington. Nuggety little bloke who has a bit of go in him

Curren 20+ possessions.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Curren was the biggest positive for mine. His 2nd half was very good

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Saunders' first 10 metres are explosive!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Murdoch...I like & Saunders
Last edited by The Fireman on Fri 09 Aug 2013 11:34pm, edited 3 times in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Murdoch was the one tonight. His one on one marking was excellent.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Murdoch...I like

yes, he seems tough

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Gees Father Time is starting to catch up with Lenny - I know it would be hard for him to get excited about the year but gees he looks slow !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dermie just said that there are some good kids out there which will make our bottom 6 quite strong in the future. Said we just need a couple of stars to come through or to recruit.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

That kid Schneider will be handy next year...

That said, I am happy that although none of those kids look star material, I think they are showing enough to suggest they can be good to very good players "potentially" and that they could infact raise the bar of our overall list. I think its time we got away from 6-8 stars....HOLE...then role players and got a much more even contribution from a solid list with obviously a few guns thrown in.

Its late.

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Dermie just said that there are some good kids out there which will make our bottom 6 quite strong in the future. Said we just need a couple of stars to come through or to recruit.
And a few of the old warriors to either get their bodies into shape or retire.
EG Fisher, Dempster
Suspect Lenny, Milne, Kosi and Blake gone already.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:That kid Schneider will be handy next year...

That said, I am happy that although none of those kids look star material, I think they are showing enough to suggest they can be good to very good players "potentially" and that they could infact raise the bar of our overall list. I think its time we got away from 6-8 stars....HOLE...then role players and got a much more even contribution from a solid list with obviously a few guns thrown in.

Its late.
Well said!
Might even cure our "Messiah complex"

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Does the club own any weights? Most, if not all, of those kids need to put some muscle on so their tackles can stick.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Does the club own any weights? Most, if not all, of those kids need to put some muscle on so their tackles can stick.
No they dont do weights at St.Kilda :roll:

FGS how long have you watched football? 18 year olds, 20 year olds, even 22 year olds dont have a football hardened body.

The kids need a few preseasons to get the muscle mass.

Some of the kids are a good size like Wright, Murdoch, and Webster.

Give them time FFS.

Lance or James??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Dermie just said that there are some good kids out there which will make our bottom 6 quite strong in the future. Said we just need a couple of stars to come through or to recruit.
I think hes right and I dont like Dermie....

Tonight, if they continue, show me we are building a solid foundation and really good sides have that at their core without relying solely on individual genius every week.

Sydney is the model - sure they have cream, but they have a very good solid foundation underpinning their list.

Lyon never got this right - had he spent some time on that mid tier who knows cause we certainly had the cream at the top.

Hope Hayes plays on. Think its time for Blake, Kosi, Milne (focus on family time)...Fisher must be thinking.

“Yeah….nah””
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:That kid Schneider will be handy next year...

Its late.
Couldn't agree more. Watters is working on getting a list with real depth rather than betting the farm on an outstanding top 10. I like it. You are only as good as the weakest links. It also fosters a more cohesive list.

Impressed with Tommy Lee as a forward target tonight. He seems to be getting some real confidence. When he stretches those arms up he's hard to beat.

noob
Club Player

To me Tommy Lee seems a great pick up. Very clever and crafty with the hands which suggests he is an intelligent footballer.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Think Lee would make the ideal 2nd target..........dont think we have the forward gun yet to replace Riewoldt........maybe that trade of pick number 3 and player for 1 is essential for Boyd..

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed that, irrespective of the scoreboard.

I didn't enjoy some other losses, this one had some highlights and good "kid" moments

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Another good sign was we seemed to play a bit of tempo footy at times, chipping it around with short kicks to cool things down when it looked like spiralling out of control big time. I noticed even Hawthorn seemed to take it down a gear after that. A good tool to have to be able to control a game.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Oh and how good is Roberton? He's a tough nut with ice in his veins - never panics. I almost take him for granted now because he is so consistent. Its nice having a rock solid performer you can rely on in the back half with all the changes.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have to agree.
I mean if you look at the Hawks - their younger players are really made to look better than they are by having the guns along side them.
Mitchell sewell lake burgoyne roughhead gibson guerra etc are still doing all the hard yakka winning ball in the clinches.
having 10-12 guns at the peaks of their powers is still the name of the game and we are a few years off that happening.
but we still have 'found' 6-8 players this year. thats pretty bloody good. all of them need to improve but at least they can play.

for me personally saunders has been my surprise packet. i really had doubts but hes shown hes tough fast and gutsy and makes good decisions. hes almost an excitement machine. you have to love the bloke.

and roberton has been a coup. much tougher than he looks. loved some of his tackles.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Agree. Think Lee would make the ideal 2nd target..........dont think we have the forward gun yet to replace Riewoldt........maybe that trade of pick number 3 and player for 1 is essential for Boyd..
Stanley and lee up forward will be good. Still like the stan

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Saunders is dead set Stevens mk II.
Early days Jack was a headless chook and not the cleanest kick because he was too quick.
Hopefully turns out just as well.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dare I say we do finally have a good amount of leg speed?