No.1 Pick - Tom Boyd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: No.1 Pick - Tom Boyd

In the good old days, not that long ago, we would receive a priority pick for winning less than 5 games, as would GWS and Melbourne this year. We would have received picks 3 and 6 at worse, possibly 2 and 5. Wouldn't that handy ATM. We could pick up a Tambling and a Dowler type. 8-)

Saintsational Legend

Is Boyd really that much better than Scharenberg or is this Victorian/Herald sun bias?

Who was better at their age Jeremy Cameron or Boyd cos Jeremy Cameron truly is a a Star.

Maybe we should wait until the draft camp to see if Boyd is really that good. Ok hes big and dominates under 18 but so did Kosi.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

GWS may for for a mid & Melbourne (having Hogan coming) may for for a mid too. There is a chance Boyd will be there at pick 3.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Irrespective of pick 1, 3 or 55, I hope we pick up the best available MID with our first pick... There is no point in getting KPF if there is no one to kick the ball to him... I very much hope we do not get sucked into the hype and firm, secure Aish, or whichever mid is there and next best... I'll actually be annoyed if we get Boyd in any of those mentioned scenarios..

suss
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote:Someone on here suggested this trade a few weeks ago.

*cough*

It was silly then and its silly now. we have one of the best forwards of all time and he cant get enough of the ball up forward to really make an impact on the scoreboard. Take Hayes out and Dal and Joey getting older and I reckon boyd wont have an impact for years. The game is a midfield game now. Lets get a possible champion mid to replace of chmapions. And we lose our best ruckman as well.
Hayes pick #11.
Da Santo pick #13.
Montagna pick #35.

Do you think that maybe we might get a reasonable mid-fielder with pick #10? Plus we have Hickey and get Boyd.

I love you way you respect other people's opinions by the way. You must have lots of friends.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote:Someone on here suggested this trade a few weeks ago.

*cough*

It was silly then and its silly now. we have one of the best forwards of all time and he cant get enough of the ball up forward to really make an impact on the scoreboard. Take Hayes out and Dal and Joey getting older and I reckon boyd wont have an impact for years. The game is a midfield game now. Lets get a possible champion mid to replace of chmapions. And we lose our best ruckman as well.
Hayes pick #11.
Da Santo pick #13.
Montagna pick #35.

Do you think that maybe we might get a reasonable mid-fielder with pick #10? Plus we have Hickey and get Boyd.

I love you way you respect other people's opinions by the way. You must have lots of friends.

I have heaps of friends. Thanks for asking. I wont comment on how many you have but if you have as many as me you are very popular. Yep we could get the greatest mid in the AFL at pick 10. Who said we wouldnt? I have no idea why you mentioned those players but hey I like you so I will go with it.

suss
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I have heaps of friends. Thanks for asking. I wont comment on how many you have but if you have as many as me you are very popular. Yep we could get the greatest mid in the AFL at pick 10. Who said we wouldnt? I have no idea why you mentioned those players but hey I like you so I will go with it.
Hilarious! In one breath you claim you can't get a gun midfielder with pick #10 and then mention Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo as examples - none of whom were top ten draft picks. Bwahahahaha!

Do you actually get embarrassed when you realise you're being an obstinate, argumentative jerk or do you just jump onto the next thread?

andrewg
Club Player

stupid

McEvoy stays

Griggsy
SS Life Member

stkfc1 wrote:I figure there may be a chance Boyd might still be there at pick 3 anyway. GWS already have Cameron and Patton. Add Buddy and Boyd isnt required. The Dees have Clarke and Jess Hogan joining them next year , with Dawes as backup. There priority would be to add some class to their midfield. He may slip through to us without giving up anything.
The fact they don't need him I think means they will look for a trade. Teams want him and will pay for him. Essentially it's using Boyd to get better value from that pick over choosing someone else. Plus they get exactly what they want then.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hilarious! In one breath you claim you can't get a gun midfielder with pick #10 and then mention Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo as examples - none of whom were top ten draft picks. Bwahahahaha!

Do you actually get embarrassed when you realise you're being an obstinate, argumentative jerk or do you just jump onto the next thread?

If you are going to claim something I said then show me where I said it. I may have but I cant see it. And I dont get embarressed unless its true. if its a lie which this may be then you are the one who should be embarressed. I take it you dont like your opinions challenged. I hope when you are finally old enough to work you become the man in charge straight away otherwise your oinions will be challenged.

suss
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If you are going to claim something I said then show me where I said it. I may have but I cant see it. And I dont get embarressed unless its true. if its a lie which this may be then you are the one who should be embarressed. I take it you dont like your opinions challenged. I hope when you are finally old enough to work you become the man in charge straight away otherwise your oinions will be challenged.
I have no problem having my opinions challenged but you don't challenge opinions or present arguments. You tell people things as fact and have zero respect for opinions you don't agree with.

After 33,000 posts we have a pretty good idea of how you work.

Believe it or not, i actually do have a job and in fact get paid to present arguments and challenge those of an opponent. I have a reasonably good grip on the concept and know an obstinate jerk when I see one.

I take it you're in a different profession ...

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Is Boyd really that much better than Scharenberg or is this Victorian/Herald sun bias?

Who was better at their age Jeremy Cameron or Boyd cos Jeremy Cameron truly is a a Star.

Maybe we should wait until the draft camp to see if Boyd is really that good. Ok hes big and dominates under 18 but so did Kosi.
and Kosi would have been a champion if he hadn't cracked his skull.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote: Hilarious! In one breath you claim you can't get a gun midfielder with pick #10 and then mention Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo as examples - none of whom were top ten draft picks. Bwahahahaha!

I have no problem having my opinions challenged but you don't challenge opinions or present arguments. You tell people things as fact and have zero respect for opinions you don't agree with.

Believe it or not, i actually do have a job and in fact get paid to present arguments and challenge those of an opponent. I have a reasonably good grip on the concept and know an obstinate jerk when I see one.

I suspect it's for Centrelink myself. Don't worry that's his style -act like what you say is idiotic and then you don't challenge his view. He acts pragmatic and like he's so above passionate fan behaviour but then if someone mentions trading out Big Mac or one of his other favourites his boiler bursts.

His opinions are very measured unlike all of ours and if you dare to look like you are a fan of the Saints you are of sub par intelligence. But don't worry he won't let anyone say anything disparaging about the Bombers who are entitled to be given any length of presumption of innocence. The AFL should never be criticised either- they are the ultimate authority you should bow in their presence.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Is Boyd really that much better than Scharenberg or is this Victorian/Herald sun bias?

Patrick McCartin is better than both of them. Hey if we don't improve dramatically and don't make the finals next year I hope we finish bottom as he just smashes them and clunks it as well. A fit healthy version of plugger.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

hilarious! In one breath you claim you can't get a gun midfielder with pick #10 and then mention Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo as examples - none of whom were top ten draft picks. Bwahahahaha!

Awesome post suss... very very astute... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42, I think you messed with history a bit there mate :wink:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

There's an old saying about a bird in the hand... Well done Harris - bell gone!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
supersaints
Club Player

Need to keep Ben, sort of player you could build around in future.
Recruit the best available number three....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

IS there now a slight chance he may now slip to number 3 ?

Assuming
(1) the Dees don't get an early priority pick, Roosy has flagged the need for more midfielders (and they already have Dawes, Clark, Hogan and Watts as potential KPF)
(2) GWS don't trade their number 1 pick and get Buddy, then they have Cameron, Paton and Buddy.

whilst I am a big fan of Aish & Scharenburg, to get someone with Boyds talent that Reiwoldt can mentor for a year or 2, and then slot in as a ready made replacement would be just beyond my wildest dreams.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
noob
Club Player

You need a gun midfield. Geelong, West Coast and even Sydney have won premierships with superstar forwards. Hell even Hawthorn did well without Buddy last albeit with Roughead in the team. The forward is only good depending on the supply he is getting.

evo
Club Player

You would also have to factor in the marketing potential of someone like Boyd. Big young full forwards also bring in the crowds as Buddy does and Lockett and Hudson used to.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Put yourself in the shoes of GWS, if we had Franklin, Cameron and Patton, I wouldn't be looking at Boyd, I'd be looking at Aish, Kelly, Scarenberg, McDonald, Sheed etc.. Same with Melbourne - with Clark, Hogan, Dawes, Watts and Howe, why the need for Boyd? There's a fine line between drafting for 'best available talent' and a 'needs basis'. Boyd falling to 3 is a sniff if hawks win the flag and he then goes to GWS and Paul Roos doesn't trade dees pick 2.

jamesmc
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Even if the Saints want that deal, McEvoy would have to want to play at the Giants and I can't see that being the case. Reckon there's a 99% chance the Big Boy will be at the Saints next year and we should be glad to have him.

While I agree with your post #GILL please dont call McEvoy Big Boy. That is the most pathetic and ridiculous nickname given to a player by that arch flog BT.

Because it rhymes with McEvoy he thinks he is a genius :roll:

Just like how the Aussie cricketers dont bump fists and only shake hands, please dont fall for this commercial populous line of Taylor.

Sorry Joffaboy, i gave McEvoy that nickname, that flog plagiarised me. Even i'm sick of him saying it every 5 minutes. I regret it now.

Wed 06 Jul 2011 5:28pm
Is Big Boy the next Carl D.? He should be our next Captain.
Forum: Saintsational Fan Forum
Topic: Ben" Big Boy" McEvoy
Replies: 18
Views: 1102

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I've only seen a short clip of Boyd. He was a huge lad on crutches. IMO his body is too big, and will only get bigger. I see him ending up injury prone due to his size ala Plugger and Kosi.
Someone like Cameron has a great frame and the skills to be a star for a decade.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm a long way from being convinced that Tom Boyd will go #1.

GWS already have Cameron & Patton and it is quite possible that they will also land Franklin

Melbourne already have Tom Hogan, Zac Clarke and Chris Dawes

Both clubs would be looking closely at Scharenberg, Aish, Billings, Sheed, Kelly and others

I still think it is too hard to predict this year and any Phantom Drafter who gets it close enough will be seen as an absolute genius !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!