Why 'punish the club'?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why 'punish the club'?

plugger66 wrote:... Lets get a board in for one year and cheat as much as humanily possible and then the AFL just kick the board out....
If it will guarantee a flag - I'll do it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:... Lets get a board in for one year and cheat as much as humanily possible and then the AFL just kick the board out....

So would I. I have no morals at all when it comes to winning a GF.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

So would I. I have no morals at all when it comes to winning a GF.
Either do Collingwood apparently.

Except yours is fantasy, theirs was reality.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:What's the point of punishing Essendon?

Because if you do not, any club (country) world wide in any sport that has a mind to will be tempted to cheat.

They have already gotten away with cheating once in 93 to win a flag, and have tried to back up again.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What are the consequences of the AFL not coming down hard on Essendon and players, especially if the stuff they we're injected with was illegal.
Well, to many sporting bodies around the world it would appear that the AFL turns a blind eye to performance enhancing drugs when it becomes too hard to punish.
The result maybe a boycott of all Australian sporting events like the Australian Open, teams like Liverpool and Man United touring, plus incredible scrutiny on our Olympic Athletes.
Sorry, but the club and players have to be hit, and therefore be answerable to the fans who they (the club) let down enormously by going down this path.
I mean if Ahmed Saad can possibly get two years for unwittingly drinking a drink of which 1 of the 50 ingredients in it is a banned substance, then really, what should Essendon all inclusive get for systematically trying to gain an advantage thru questionable medical practices.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still wish Lazar Vidovic had played in 1997 and smashed everyones faces in and we won - even if he was banned for life.

Id take a flag if our boys were on gear as would the Bombers fans (that part is obvious).

But they got caught. Thats life. High risk - High reward.

They played a high risk/high reward strategy and it came unstuck (cos it was risky). People make these calculations all the time - even if subconsciously.

Suck it up bombers fans!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still wish Lazar Vidovic had played in 1997 and smashed everyones faces in and we won - even if he was banned for life.

Id take a flag if our boys were on gear as would the Bombers fans (that part is obvious).

They played a high risk/high reward strategy and it came unstuck (cos it was risky). People make these calculations all the time - even if subconsciously.

Suck it up bombers fans!

carlton did it with the salary cap in their last premiership. No one remembers the nearly- if the Bombers get off it's open slather. Get the Dankster in, Robinson Charters what ever. And david Butterpants from Collingwood.

I can see why WCE don't look for a new coach now- he might have some evidence that makes sacking harder.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

<mods prevent me from commenting on this absurd thread>

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Lock the supporters up, too. They enabled this criminal enterprise by funding it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still wish Lazar Vidovic had played in 1997 and smashed everyones faces in and we won - even if he was banned for life.

Suck it up bombers fans!
But have they been caught? I am not an Essendon apologist by any means, but I am just not sure that they have been caught doing anything. Lots of names of chemicals being bandied around and numbers relating to sections in a document, but no positive tests. Testimonies from coaches relating to late night phone calls, who is still allowed to coach, and even admission from a captain that something was taken but he is still playing... I mean, what is really going on?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Because it's Essendon and they cheated from the top.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The supporters are the ones who benefit from the cheating, so surely they should also be the ones who get punished.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Who are you really punishing?

In reality, it's the fans that get hurt by it.

If a company does something wrong, granted they may be fined as a punishment - but generally it's the board that gets sent to jail. Obviously the extent of the punsihment varies, but it's the board that are accountable.

Let's say the Saints brought the game into disrepute. Why punish us, the fans? Why would we lose flags and points and draft picks etc.? It's not fair - I didn't do anything! But I'm the one that cops it.

Punish the board. Punish the individuals involved.

But why would you punish the fans - which in reality is what happens.
In the corporate world its shareholders instead of supporters. Boards that make bad decisions they may be fined but more than likely their share price falls - so the shareholders feel the pain - just like we the supporters do.

I hope Essendon cope a fine and lose round 1&2 draft picks for 3 years. They can keep their points.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Mackaysaint
Club Player

Who are you really punishing?

In reality, it's the fans that get hurt by it.

If a company does something wrong, granted they may be fined as a punishment - but generally it's the board that gets sent to jail. Obviously the extent of the punsihment varies, but it's the board that are accountable.

Let's say the Saints brought the game into disrepute. Why punish us, the fans? Why would we lose flags and points and draft picks etc.? It's not fair - I didn't do anything! But I'm the one that cops it.

Punish the board. Punish the individuals involved.

But why would you punish the fans - which in reality is what happens.
The fans are essentially shareholders in the club. The shareholders in a company which does wrong suffer because the company is punished and as such the shares are less valuable - at least for a while. If they get their act together and stick within the legal boundaries (i.e. non-flammable or non-toxic product etc.) then they can regain their stock value.

The same process is followed when we punish a club by reducing the quality of draft picks or similar - then the value of the share holding is reduced but time and good practices it can regenerate.

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
Mackaysaint
Club Player

Snap

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
Furphy
Club Player

Essendon deserve more than what that are going to get. (and no doubt they will walk away scot free) I have had a gutful how the media grovel to them and Hawthorn, Geelong and Carlton.