Time for the rotational captaincy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Time for the rotational captaincy?

Anyone else think that 2014 might be a good time to return to GT's rotational captaincy policy?

The honour gives the selected (young) player: a higher profile, a greater sense of responsibility, a greater allegiance to the Saints, and more respect within the club (and the football community). Within a few years you have a clutch of leading lights who otherwise would be only supporting players (and inclined to play accordingly).

I can't see there's much to be gained if an ageing, battle-weary Roo takes the role yet again.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time for the rotational captaincy?

I agree that Roo has run his course as Captain. Time for fresh blood. Who, I would suggest Armo.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Monty, then Geary then maybe one of the new bloods that shows promise.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I thought we should have started rotating the captaincy this year - the problem was there were no obvious candidates. Same problem next year really - but I think we should bite the bullet. Armo or Ben are my picks as it may help extract that little bit extra. No point in giving it Dal, Joey or any of the older brigade - the point is we want to blood the next lot of leaders.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I thought we should have started rotating the captaincy this year - the problem was there were no obvious candidates. Same problem next year really - but I think we should bite the bullet. Armo or Ben are my picks as it may help extract that little bit extra. No point in giving it Dal, Joey or any of the older brigade - the point is we want to blood the next lot of leaders.
The point of rotational captaincy is that it builds leadership. you give it to candidates that show the traits required. Outwardly, at the club, it seems that McEvoy, Steven, Roberton and Armo show the signs. Who would have thought that Hamill would have made such a good leader?
Bring it back and develop practical leadership.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm trying to remember how it worked. Didn't we have three captains at one stage? I think Lenny got it for first year - I remember a bit of controversy when he handed the arm band over to Rooey the next year - I think?

What about rotating captaincy over say 3 games? Could start by giving it to some of the veterans - Hayes, Dal, Monty - reward for their loyalty and respect they have at the club but also emphasise the mentoring role they are doing. Then some of the younger players - McEvoy, Armo, Jack - see whos up for it.

Would get some good publicity and now is the time we can experiment a bit. Would love to be known as a club that innovates. Later down the track I think one consistent captain works best.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I still maintain it was time for a new voice when Watters came on board.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

2003 - Hamill
2004 - Hayes
2005 - Riewoldt
2006 - Ball
2007 (Ross Lyon) - Riewoldt
If Lyon had kept the policy going then Dal Santo and Montagna may have got a run. So too may have Gram or Gilbert. It may have been the maturity that Gram needed off field.

The point of the policy was to develop strong leaders at the club. And to show that you don't need a (c) after your name to be a leader.

It is just the sort of policy we need right now.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We have one of the best leaders in the comp and no obvious replacement, any suggestion of a change is ridiculous.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I'd say Clint Jones is the man.

No one rotates as much as CJ, especially when he's trying to get on his left peg :P

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Roo has run his race.
When ur third bottom your era is finished.
Not against the rotation but it won't happen because its not trendy and footy clubs love trends.
Maybe two blokes could do it.
Armo and someone else
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 01 Aug 2013 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Surely Armo's form doesn't warrant captaincy. Or Geary's,or Ben's.

Would have to be Joey if they took it off Roo

Bring back the Lockett era
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:2003 - Hamill
2004 - Hayes
2005 - Riewoldt
2006 - Ball
2007 (Ross Lyon) - Riewoldt
If Lyon had kept the policy going then Dal Santo and Montagna may have got a run. So too may have Gram or Gilbert. It may have been the maturity that Gram needed off field.

The point of the policy was to develop strong leaders at the club. And to show that you don't need a (c) after your name to be a leader.

It is just the sort of policy we need right now.
almost correct
in 2007 Ross had Lenny Roo and Ball as captains
in 2008 i think it was given to Roo to hold on his own until today

i actually think its not a bad idea to do the rotation thing for the next 3-4 years

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
spert
Saintsational Legend

I still think the captain should be a player who leads by example, does the inspirational stuff, but that seems to be lacking this season. Roo was inspirational early, but other than that, and sadly for the club, no player has really stood up consistently- Steven excepted. Not sure if Steven is captain material, but he wasn't afraid to throw his body in and take on JPods in big tackle the other night , and that spoke a lot to me about possible leadership quality. Other than that I guess Monty would be next in line, maybe then NDS, or Jones who at least tries his guts out every game.

bigballs
Club Player

Call me old fashioned, call me what you like, but I'm not in favor of rotating the captaincy.....never have been and never will be!! I'm happy for Roo to hold on to the captaincy until he retires.

Needless to say.........I like the traditional method of having only one captain, a method in which 17 of the 18 teams are using to this day, Melbourne being the odd one out (correct me if I'm wrong)!!

I'd like to see either McEvoy or Newnes as our next captain when Roo retires.

By then, Macca will be around 25-26 and Newnesy will be about 21-22.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rooy will be captain next year because there is no replacement. Ben is the obvious choice but his form probably isnt good enough. No point in replacing Rooy with Joey. Srmo isnt really ready to be a captain IMO and he to could be on the trade rable like Ben.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

There is only one bloke who deserves it and that is Joey!

PADDLEPOP1000
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Srmo isnt really ready to be a captain IMO and he to could be on the trade rable like Ben.
Big mistake if we trade Ben

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Srmo isnt really ready to be a captain IMO and he to could be on the trade rable like Ben.
Big mistake if we trade Ben
i wouldnt be happy with trading Armo or Ben to be honest ... we have put a lot of investment into both of them and now they are starting to show returns to trade them would be foolish - plus both are in that age bracket we need more players in

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would not be against Joey being Captain for 2-3 years if he wanted it and if his body is good.
Seems like he has a fair bit of footy left in him and has that physique and smooth running action that looks like he doesnt stress his body out too badly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would not be against Joey being Captain for 2-3 years if he wanted it and if his body is good.
Seems like he has a fair bit of footy left in him and has that physique and smooth running action that looks like he doesnt stress his body out too badly.

I dont get why you replace a person with a person the same age. Is just for something different because that is the only thing I can think of.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

maybe as a reward for years of service Pluggs ?? i reckon the honour of being named captain of the club he has spent his carreer at would be a pretty nice way to end the carreer builds that bond to the club long after retirment ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:maybe as a reward for years of service Pluggs ?? i reckon the honour of being named captain of the club he has spent his carreer at would be a pretty nice way to end the carreer builds that bond to the club long after retirment ?

He gets plenty of rewards. Well if thats the case we should give it to Dal as well. Or Milney. Or blake. Kosi? You cant make a player captain to reward him. I reckon the club will not change captains but if it does than it surely has to be a younger player. The only proviso is Rooy says he doesnt want it and the club have no one else.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was also one of the supporters of a season-by-season rotation of the captaincy when GT introduced the policy. However, in view of Nick Riewoldt's leadership for the last five seasons or so, feel that we should stick with him as captain until he retires. I agree that the time to change captains was at the start of Scott Watters' tenure as coach. Nick will know himself when to pull the pin on the role, and I'm happy to let that decision be his to consider. The one thing we need more than anything at this critical stage of our history is STABILITY. I'd let this dreadful season come to it's conclusion and then go about the business of appointing a new skipper. JMO

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was also one of the supporters of a season-by-season rotation of the captaincy when GT introduced the policy. However, in view of Nick Riewoldt's leadership for the last five seasons or so, feel that we should stick with him as captain until he retires. I agree that the time to change captains was at the start of Scott Watters' tenure as coach. Nick will know himself when to pull the pin on the role, and I'm happy to let that decision be his to consider. The one thing we need more than anything at this critical stage of our history is STABILITY. I'd let this dreadful season come to it's conclusion and then go about the business of appointing a new skipper. JMO

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)