Saad tests positive for something

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

70s sainter
Club Player

Re: Saad tests positive for something

Nettle fold said it was something that is fine outside competition. Does he mean besides playing day? Or professional players aren't allowed but everyday people are? What the hell does he mean ?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Players have to be extremely careful of anything they take. Even you everyday cold and flu tablet can cause you issues if it contains substances on the band substance list. Everything, including headache tablets, needs to be checked by the club doctors.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The list is bloody ridiculous. Might as well ban coca cola

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
seano1
Club Player

The AFL will be bleeding on this as it is slowly sorting the Essendon plight out without losing Essendon players for 2 years this may either help or hinder their cause...they cant whack one without whacking the others.............and how confusing it must be that you can drink this stuff in out of compitition time but not in it these guys must have a book that they can look at everytime they go out or visit people to what when and if they can have anything to eat or drink.
My son having played junior footy with him i know him to be a good kid who just wanted to play footy and now must be gutted that this may finish that dream.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If Saad gets close to 2 years and Essendon walk away washing their hands of it all, That'll just about be it for me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:If Saad gets close to 2 years and Essendon walk away washing their hands of it all, That'll just about be it for me.

Well if that happens blame ASADA. They have the final say and actually appealed against a guy in the VFL when they only gave a player 9 months. He was then given 2 years.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:The list is bloody ridiculous. Might as well ban coca cola
It is

In my house. :wink:

8856brother wrote:
It is

What if you have a hangover.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
It is

Cold red cordial and a raw egg.

Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
It is

Keep drinking....

Now lives in Geelong...
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saad. Moral culpability - low. Legal culpability - high. He'll get the full two years without a doubt.

Essendon. Moral culpability - high. Legal culpability - uncertain, probably low. They'll get a slap on the wrist in a deal worked out between lawyers on both sides, because the last thing either ASADA or the AFL want are long and expensive court proceedings. ASADA don't have the budget, AFL don't want the poor publicity.

That's the reality of the situation. It sucks, but let's all try to get used to it rather than melting down when it happens.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I feel really sorry for Ahmed, he's by all reports one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and seems like he could have been a pretty special player. I'm really gutted for him. 2 years out of footy will just about be it for him. If Essendon get to run a doping program and get away with it the whole of sport in Australia is a joke. Well world sport really, they seem to have some sports that actually run on doping like cycling but systematic dopers get back in.

A guy who takes something innocuous gets the same penalty or in Essendon's case a worse punishment than a deliberate cheat. There seems no actual differentiation between a mild stimulant in a cold and flu tablet and things like peptides or HGH.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Saad. Moral culpability - low. Legal culpability - high. He'll get the full two years without a doubt.

Essendon. Moral culpability - high. Legal culpability - uncertain, probably low. They'll get a slap on the wrist in a deal worked out between lawyers on both sides, because the last thing either ASADA or the AFL want are long and expensive court proceedings. ASADA don't have the budget, AFL don't want the poor publicity.

That's the reality of the situation. It sucks, but let's all try to get used to it rather than melting down when it happens.
I'm certainly not ready to be cool with this scenario... I am preparing unhealthy rage.

The amount of arrogance I will have to deal with from smirky Essendon <edited by forum gods> will tip me over, falling down style.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6688659325
According to the AFL's code, taking a "specified stimulant" is considered a less serious offence than substances such as steroids and growth hormones, but still carries a maximum two-year ban...

...However, Saad's case appears to have similarities with that of Frankston VFL player Matthew Clark, who is serving a two-year suspension for taking a drink called Hemo Rage before a game in 2011.

Clark said he was introduced to the product by a teammate who had bought it in a store in Melbourne's northern suburbs, but six weeks later was told he had tested positive for dimethylamphetamine.

Clark was banned for nine months by the AFL Victoria tribunal, but ASADA swiftly appealed and enforced the maximum two-year penalty.
That does not look good at all. It will ruin this guys career over something so marginal. Hopefully the ASADA is too busy with the bombers to give resources to this case? unlikely but one can hope.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6688659325
According to the AFL's code, taking a "specified stimulant" is considered a less serious offence than substances such as steroids and growth hormones, but still carries a maximum two-year ban...

...However, Saad's case appears to have similarities with that of Frankston VFL player Matthew Clark, who is serving a two-year suspension for taking a drink called Hemo Rage before a game in 2011.

Clark said he was introduced to the product by a teammate who had bought it in a store in Melbourne's northern suburbs, but six weeks later was told he had tested positive for dimethylamphetamine.

Clark was banned for nine months by the AFL Victoria tribunal, but ASADA swiftly appealed and enforced the maximum two-year penalty.
That does not look good at all. It will ruin this guys career over something so marginal. Hopefully the ASADA is too busy with the bombers to give resources to this case? unlikely but one can hope.

The problem is this is pretty much an open and shut case because he has actually tested positive to something he should not have. Somehow he needs to get 6 months. A year maybe even to much.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Do we have anyone smart at the club ?

In red white and black from 73
savatage
SS Life Member

Unfortunately it wasn't that difficult. Ahmed just had to ask the club doctor if the ingredients listed on his pre workout powder were legal to take.

It's spelt right there on the label of the product. So as sad as this is going to turn out - it was really dumb by Ahmed to not at least check first. Could be a career killer - it's certainly not going to be good in the short term at least.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I feel really sorry for Ahmed, he's by all reports one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and seems like he could have been a pretty special player. I'm really gutted for him. 2 years out of footy will just about be it for him. If Essendon get to run a doping program and get away with it the whole of sport in Australia is a joke. Well world sport really, they seem to have some sports that actually run on doping like cycling but systematic dopers get back in.

A guy who takes something innocuous gets the same penalty or in Essendon's case a worse punishment than a deliberate cheat. There seems no actual differentiation between a mild stimulant in a cold and flu tablet and things like peptides or HGH.
You really have no idea. There is nothing innocuous about amphetamines (speed), they are not a mild stimulant, and in case you don't know amphetamines are often made using pseudoephedrine which is also a nasal decongestant.

There is a massive difference between speed and peptides, one is detected in a dope test the other isn't.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ok we now have confirmation it was his sponsors Viking protein product that caused the problem.
One of the ingredients is banned, so it looks pretty certain he is gone as he would/should of had considerable familiarity with the ingredients. So the big question will now be which law firm will he use to sue Viking?

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Ok we now have confirmation it was his sponsors Viking protein product that caused the problem.
One of the ingredients is banned, so it looks pretty certain he is gone as he would/should of had considerable familiarity with the ingredients. So the big question will now be which law firm will he use to sue Viking?
Do we?

Thought Barrett said 'perhaps it was'

Still not confirmed as far as I know?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Saad needs to get a sound, experienced legal rep.
Maybe a QC. Who to get? Think, think, think...
Don't "Rush" me, will get a name soon 8-) :roll:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:A guy takes something, that is perfectly legal over the counter substance, just can't be taken prior to competition and is going to get a no leniency two year ban. Yet a club takes on a program to systematically secretly, off site to inject their players multiple times in order to gain an advantage with a substance that, at best not clear whether it is an approved substance or not, and the argument still goes on regarding what if any punishment the club or players involved.
If nothing happens to Essendon, and Saad gets the full whack, it proves that the s*** is stinking at AFL house.

I have no idea how people know the penalties already. By the way ASADA will appeal if the penalties are to light so if they dont then ASADA agree they are the correct penalties.
This whole drugs issue is becoming more comical as each day passes. ASADA and the AFL were trying to strike up deals to save the Essendon players (proven documentation that is in the hands of reporters in Sydney - no conspiracies here), yet the poor guy in the VFL has his 9 month penalty overturned and given the full whack. Seriously, something just does not add up here.....

If Saad goes and Essendon players are let off with a wrist slap (which is all speculation at this point), the AFL can take this game and shove it where the sun does not shine. I have never felt the urge to walk away from the Aussie Rules or even threatened it, but this situation has the potential to make a lot of people turn their backs on it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
matrix
Saintsational Legend

wouldnt asada NOT appeal if the penalties are too light, because they hand down the penalty in the first place?

or am i missing something?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:wouldnt asada NOT appeal if the penalties are too light, because they hand down the penalty in the first place?

or am i missing something?
Refers to the VFL player above. Was banned by AFL tribunal for taking a drink containing a banned substance, ASADA appealed the AFLs penalty.

Furphy
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:If Saad gets close to 2 years and Essendon walk away washing their hands of it all, That'll just about be it for me.

I reckon that is exactly what will happen! :twisted: