If we can't get Boyd...should we go for Patton?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

If we can't get Boyd...should we go for Patton?

Just a thought...

GWS are going to go extremely hard for Buddy - and may well get him.

If so, they'll have three gun tall forwards (Franklin, Cameron, Patton). It's probably one too many in this day and age; two champions talls will do any side just fine - which has got me thinking. There's no doubt Patton is a sublime talent, but his value is surely under scrutiny after doing his knee.

He's had a few other niggles here and there as well but he seemed to overcome them and get his body right - and then his knee gave way. He had all the hype of Boyd and showed a lot when he played. But he could find himself in a tough battle to keep his place if Buddy wanders in.

With all that in mind, and his value perhaps at a "low" point relative to his potential, could he potentially be somebody (gulp) we used in a trade deal for Pick 3? It's a pick GWS could well find handy considering their interest in Franklin.

I reckon pick 3 would be paying overs given his current state, so I'd want (at least) one of their emerging midfielders thrown in, with us then passing over a late pick to balance the deal.

Any interest?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: If we can't get Boyd...should we go for Patton?

I doubt we would get change from pick 3 to be honest

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Yes... In that, I'd try to hold onto pick 3 and get Patton... Have no idea how..

It's been a hot topic, and I am against moving him on, but realistically is McEvoy and Patton straight swap a fair deal, considering each sides needs??... May be the only way to get it done..

GWS want big bodied defenders and a ruck.. A ruck is all we really have, we havent even got enough big defenders for ourselves, let alone to go shopping with...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Yes... In that, I'd try to hold onto pick 3 and get Patton... Have no idea how..

It's been a hot topic, and I am against moving him on, but realistically is McEvoy and Patton straight swap a fair deal, considering each sides needs??... May be the only way to get it done..

GWS want big bodied defenders and a ruck.. A ruck is all we really have, we havent even got enough big defenders for ourselves, let alone to go shopping with...

I actually think that would be a slight chance. Still got no idea who could ruck though. hickey needs a lot of work and unlike some I dont think Stanley is going to make it. Hope to be proven wrong.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

GWS have said they want three solid mature players to help out back- Gilbert, Fisher and Gwilt maybe? We keep Roberton, Simpkin and a new KPB from elsewhere along with wright and maybe Scharenberg? I think that's a big risk for us but he could be a super star or a GOP. I can see him being a bit like Hawkins- take a while to start but will become a dominant forward eventually.

If we could swap for a promising mid as well as Patto I would consider it- fortune can favour the brave or condemn you.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I often hear this line about GWS having 3 key forwards if they get Buddy (Patton, Cameron, Buddy) but the player who is somehow constantly forgotten is Tomlinson. This boy can play, and has shown a lot more than Patton has (granted Patton has had less opportunities).

I think Tomlinson will either need to be turned into a defender, or he will realise his opportunities will be limited and request a trade. If he does, the Saints should make sure they're first in line to negotiate a trade.

The signs are very positive, he is an absolute beast of a runner for his size, he just doesn't stop. Runs his opponents into the ground, pushes up hard to the wings and even HB to take marks. He has been taking pretty big numbers in terms of marks for a first year player, and his disposal count is high.

Was an earlyish draft pick who has come on better than expected so he won't be dirt cheap by any means, but his price would be less than Patton's and there's a far greater chance that he'll be the one to be 'squeezed out'.

FWIW I think he could become an excellent defender too.

saintact7
Club Player

Not giving up McEvoy. And leave us with Hickey and Stanley in ruck (Pierce is years away if ever) - dont think so. We have learned the lesson about what happens with no main ruckman. And besides Ben still stands out as next captain, mainly because who else?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Tend to agree, I'm not in favor of trading McEvoy, really a big fan of his, but in terms of the hypothetical, there is little else we have to offer...

I'd like to hold onto pick 3 (or 2) and pick the best mid... Then use our second pick, likely 20's, on the next best mid, preferably 186cm+...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I have been pushing for a trade for Paton for a while now. This Tomlinson sounds good as well. We have a good history of trading with GWS. Maybe we can do some good with them again. Trade them an older player or two which they are short of and we are not,

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I have been pushing for a trade for Paton for a while now. This Tomlinson sounds good as well. We have a good history of trading with GWS. Maybe we can do some good with them again. Trade them an older player or two which they are short of and we are not,

An older player isnt getting either of them Barry.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Yes... In that, I'd try to hold onto pick 3 and get Patton... Have no idea how..

I actually think that would be a slight chance. Still got no idea who could ruck though. hickey needs a lot of work and unlike some I dont think Stanley is going to make it. Hope to be proven wrong.
It would be great to get Patton but giving up Mac could be a neutral move if he is used to recruit him. Big bodied Rucks of Macs quality -- and assuming he only gets better -- are as hard to come by as good tall/monster forwards.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Patton hasn't done anything since he was drafted, he may be a GOP, If he would stop injuring himself he could prove it.

I wonder how much he'll weigh when he gets back on the track, he' a BIG lump..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He did a knee dude... That can happen to anyone, anytime.... He's what, 20? .... 6'6"

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He did a knee dude... That can happen to anyone, anytime.... He's what, 20? .... 6'6"
So what, he played before he did his knee dude, he didn't look anywhere near as good as Cameron, the jury is still out.

By the way dude, what does being 6'6" have to do with it, he hasn't proven anything yet, he has had 2 knee injuries so far, just
in case you didn't know, dude.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Patton wasn't really played in his first year as he had knee issues that were being managed including going to sweden or somewhere for treatment. He did a knee in his 10th game but he's played so many you can just tell he's a GOP. Rooey was pretty crap after 10 games and Kos was a champ.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You've just made a call on a player who missed the front half of his first season, did no pre season....

Played the first couple of games in season 2.... Plays in a team that doesn't win the footy....

6'6" and like Tom Hawkins..... Like some other young power fwds, needs to adapt to playing on Gorilla Full Backs like Dan Merritt.... Not like a running mid, or mobile fwd... He is a one on one power forward.... Will take 3 years, as will Boyd...

He's 20 DUDE!!!!

Rhys Stanley has had 3 more seasons of development..... Not counting injuries

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You've just made a call on a player who missed the front half of his first season, did no pre season....

Played the first couple of games in season 2.... Plays in a team that doesn't win the footy....

6'6" and like Tom Hawkins..... Like some other young power fwds, needs to adapt to playing on Gorilla Full Backs like Dan Merritt.... Not like a running mid, or mobile fwd... He is a one on one power forward.... Will take 3 years, as will Boyd...

He's 20 DUDE!!!!

Where is my car?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:You've just made a call on a player who missed the front half of his first season, did no pre season....

He's 20 DUDE!!!!

Where is my car?

That actually pretty funny... in a topical way...well in 1996 anyway. It's kind of retro ironic hipster cool.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ahh, my shadow....

OBSESSED!!!

I am not in One Direction, and you're not a 14yo Girl.... So why the stalking....

If I set my alarm for 3:05am, wake up, post in a random thread.... I just wonder if old mate would reply within the usual 1 minute??

An experiment possibly??

savatage
SS Life Member

If we can't get Boyd, draft the next best fresh talent.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Apparently the next best key position player after Boyd in the draft is Darcy Gardner, but he is a defender. Now that should not interest us much should it?

savatage
SS Life Member

Just get best player irrespective of position. We cannot waste pick 3. We need good players in all positions.

Calais
Club Player

Mate of mine.. Wants to come soon.. Just sayin'

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:Mate of mine.. Wants to come soon.. Just sayin'
Patton?

Bring back the Lockett era
savatage
SS Life Member

Calais wrote:Mate of mine.. Wants to come soon.. Just sayin'
I've got a lot of time for the Rowville crew!

I got no problem with him joining our club....but I would rather factor him in with another deal....pick 3 for something new in the draft. I'd consider him a risk - knee injuries have kept him out for almost 2 full seasons already.