Sliding Doors moment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jewellzy
Club Player

Sliding Doors moment

Watching Geelong dismantle us on the weekend got me to thinking how different both teams fortunes could've been after 2009 if we had of beaten them in the '09 Grand Final.

We win that game, Geelong suffers two GF losses in a row and as we all know too well, that does not bode well for a team moving forward. Meanwhile, we break our drought, and have every chance to go back-to-back.

All of a sudden, the rivalry that started in late '03 reads: Saints 2 Flags, Cats 1 Flag, not to mention the impending losses of coach Thompson and Gary Ablett, who knows how Geelong would look today.

What could've been...

The Phoenix Suns and St.Kilda Saints should have at least 5 championships between them since their sudden surge to elite status in 2004.

Actual championships: 0
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sliding Doors moment

Interesting hypothesis, but it didn't happen and "sliding doors" was just a movie. Good to ponder for a moment or two I suppose.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

We talk about this a bit at home.

Especially the Hawkins "goal" given the new review system

Luke Ball would have probably stayed and we would have been one happy family

This is not a case of dwelling on the past but like many things in life one of those moments, just like the film

I agree with OP

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Who cares about Geelong?

Had we won the flag in 2009 and not made the GF in 2010 would've been better sliding doors.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What would have happened if Geelong had of beaten the Hawks in 08?

Would they have been as hungry in 09? It might have taken the edge off. Who knows.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Newman
Club Player

Yeah Jewellezy ... there's no doubt things could have been very different in 2013 if a bit of last q luck went our way in 2009.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Cooda-beens we Sainters are

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:Yeah Jewellezy ... there's no doubt things could have been very different in 2013 if a bit of last q luck went our way in 2009.
Would it be though? Obviously we'd all be happier and notgiving a f*** about our current plight.

But our veterans would still be getting near retirement. And our young guys coming through would still be lacking god game time.

But I would trade that in a second for one of those flags. I wouldn't have cared if I never saw the Saints win another game, as long as I could watch the DVD of a winning GF for the rest of my life.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

All very depressing and should the "truth" ever come out I think we were well and truly screwed in other ways by both opposition sides.

Which is even more depressing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:All very depressing and should the "truth" ever come out I think we were well and truly screwed in other ways by both opposition sides.

Yeah to cheap to even cheat properly. Feels like the guy riding second to Lance Armstrong. Rumours are definitely there.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:All very depressing and should the "truth" ever come out I think we were well and truly screwed in other ways by both opposition sides.

Yeah to cheap to even cheat properly. Feels like the guy riding second to Lance Armstrong. Rumours are definitely there.
Actually, the guy that rode tenth to Armstrong was prolly the only clean one, lol.