Dees eye Laidley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dees eye Laidley

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 6683972433
FORMER North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley is the latest name to emerge as a contender for the Melbourne coaching job.

The Demons have had preliminary contact with Laidley's management, and regard the St Kilda assistant coach as a legitimate candidate when the five-man sub-committee begins interviewing for the position.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dees eye Laidley

Gee it's official, Laidley is crappolla...tongue cheek firmly

Greg T
Club Player

Re: dees eye laidley

Great news, good riddance to bad rubbish.....

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Great news, good riddance to bad rubbish.....
why is he bad rubbish?

Greg T
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
why is he bad rubbish?
I don't think hes ever been the right person for our midfield
as displayed by their performances since hes been in charge.
Was he that great at North??Debatable.....
I hope Melb snap him up......

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Dean, don't let the door hit your bum on the way out... 8-)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
supersaints
Club Player

I don't think he would get the job , however if he leaves I would personally love Harves to come home and look after the midfield he has been good with the Filth and Carlscum.
It's only a fairy tale though, as I think he would not like being second fiddle after missing out on the job.
Think we should also target Kingy as ruck coach he's done absolute wonders with Will Minton down at the Kennell

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Harves unfortunately was very ordinary at Carlton and he has Pendles,Swan,Ball,Beams,Sidebottom,Dwyer etc to work with at Collingwood !

PADDLEPOP1000
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

supersaints wrote:I don't think he would get the job , however if he leaves I would personally love Harves to come home and look after the midfield he has been good with the Filth and Carlscum.
It's only a fairy tale though, as I think he would not like being second fiddle after missing out on the job.
Think we should also target Kingy as ruck coach he's done absolute wonders with Will Minton down at the Kennell
Harves will only come home for the top job, of which he won't get for at least a couple more considering Watters is getting a contract extension

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
why is he bad rubbish?
I don't think hes ever been the right person for our midfield
as displayed by their performances since hes been in charge.
Was he that great at North??Debatable.....
I hope Melb snap him up......
Gee there is a decent dose of contradiction and confusion to work out there.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Interesting as I believe we have really struggled with our midfield setups since Laidley has been with the club. I don't know if he will get the Dees job but in any event I would like to see some fresh blood introduced into the Assistant Coaching ranks at the Saints.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
PJ
SS Life Member

I don't think it would hurt to sound out someone like Lingy for an assistant job. Laidley - doesn't seem to have made much impression given he's our mid couch.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:I don't think it would hurt to sound out someone like Lingy for an assistant job. Laidley - doesn't seem to have made much impression given he's our mid couch.
Totally agree I believe he (Cameron LING) would be an exceptional midfield coach!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
PJ wrote:I don't think it would hurt to sound out someone like Lingy for an assistant job. Laidley - doesn't seem to have made much impression given he's our mid couch.
Totally agree I believe he (Cameron LING) would be an exceptional midfield coach!
Yeah getting a guy that hasn't got a smidgeon of coaching experience makes sense. Under Laidley, Armo and Steven have improved and in Stevens case he has improved considerably. Could that be why Laidley has currency outside of our club.

Kernal75
Club Player

Steven King was our ruck coach until he left to go and join his former mentor (Brendan McCartney) at the kennel, so he won't be coming back. Lingy would have been sounded out by at least another 16 clubs and lives in Geelong so can't see hinm making a daily trip down to Seaford. Fanciful thinking IMO on both of these two. The most likely scenario would be for Lenny to retire at years end and slot staright into an assistants role with the club. Barring that, we'll pick off another assistant from the inevitable merry go round at years end. Assuming we change up the present group which I'm not convinced we'll do!

PJ
SS Life Member

Wow love the negative <edited by MODS> comments. I'll have a crack, Yes Laidley has set our midfield on fire - can we get him to replace Watters please? And Melbourne interested in Laidley jeez we'd better follow their example coz they're carving it up at present. If your going to reply in the negative don't be a smartypants<edited by MODS>.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Why? Can you give reasons/examples? Has he had success as a coach before, he probably has but I haven't heard what he's achieved in the coaching arena.

It would seem to fly in the face of modern footy department management to replace an assistance with considerably AFL senior coaching experience with an untried person.

Also if we are talking Port Adelaide then from what I understand Laidley had a lot to do with developing the players their. Apparently he's pretty good at it from what I understand.

But hey lets sack him and replace him with a guy from the media. Yep makes complete sense.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If people are going to trash a guy's name they should at least explain properly why they think he is crap and give some facts as well as provide some good examples.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Richter
SS Life Member

There is a bit of contradictory info re. Laidley.

Was a respected assistant under Malthouse at Collingwood in the early 00ies.

Got the North job between 2003-9. Did an ok job - got them to finals 3 times in 7 seasons. In all fairness to him he didn't have outstanding players and he largely led them to mid-table finishes. Pretty much par.

Went to Port when they were horrible. Left there after the 2011 season. In retrospect did he help to develop what is now looking like a terrific crop of young mids in particular?

Came to us in Nov 2011. Has managed the midfield group whilst BJ left and Lenny, Dal and Joey have aged. Armo has improved a bit, Jack Steven is becoming a star, and it's too early to call on the likes of Ross, Murdoch, Saunders - all 3 have shown something though. However, the big negative is that the midfield have consistently run out of legs in the last quarter of matches this year. We have been in most games at 3/4 time but fallen away in the last quarter. To me that has been due to not having enough mids to rotate through - i.e. team selection and lack of midfield depth. Both aspects that Laidley has a fair amount to do with.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd be trying to get Adam Simpson as our midfield coach.

He seems to be doing his apprenticeship to become a senior coach, and they rave about him at the Hawks.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind the fact that our rookie coach has a very experienced back up. We would need to get a Rocket Eade or Mark Williams to do any better. Laidley was always at the tail end of successful eras or in full rebuild eras. He probably set North back by being competitive when they needed to inject elite talent. I think the frustration is that we all want success as we came close in 09 and 10 but we are a different team now. Laidley will be measured on the way he is viewed internally not by frustrated fans wanting to blame him for all our losses.

I still blame the Lyon era for our current dilemma not anyone who came in after that time. You can't make up 6 or so years of poor recruiting and development over night.

PJ
SS Life Member

Ling's recommendation as a coach comes from an interview with Cam Mooney.

Modern football chooses it's coaches from a great variety of places, experience and playing experience - those around them have the better idea who can go to the next level.

Apparently Lenny wants to be a coach and a few clubs have expressed interest.

From what I understand Laidley wasn't valued at all at Port that's why they discontinued besides the distance.

Yeh who'd employ someone from the media? - not Hird, not Kirk, not Voss, Thompson. Nothing happening there.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If they are eyeing him off, I say we should haurry them up beofrer they realise we've polished his wheels and cleaned his interior for a quick sale.

Pray they don't want to take him our for a test drive first..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Ling's recommendation as a coach comes from an interview with Cam Mooney.

Modern football chooses it's coaches from a great variety of places, experience and playing experience - those around them have the better idea who can go to the next level.

Apparently Lenny wants to be a coach and a few clubs have expressed interest.

From what I understand Laidley wasn't valued at all at Port that's why they discontinued besides the distance.

Yeh who'd employ someone from the media? - not Hird, not Kirk, not Voss, Thompson. Nothing happening there.
Hird has got Mark Thomson behind him, Kirk is doing an apprenticeship as an assistant with a fairly decent master, Voss has struggled and he could be an epic fail yet. I reckon it's about getting the balance right between experienced older heads and blooding new guys into the coaching arena. The Saints would be mad to put another young and inexperienced assistant in behind SW. Not sure if you've noticed but most clubs have a fairly experienced coach either in the head position or as an assistant.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Well, Dean Laidley is Out of Contract at the end of this season. We'll all know soon enough if he's staying or going !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!