Explain the three Ruckman?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Explain the three Ruckman?

I'll list them Gringo for you

Nathan Wright... Ball carrier, tough
Arryn Siposs.... Skills
Steven...... Clearance winner, ball carrier
McEvoy... Contested marking, smart player
Ross...... Tough, ball winner, good balance
Hayes..... Legend
Markworth..... Speed, evasive
Joey........ Star
Riewoldt......Legend
Schnieder...... Creative, skilled, smart
Geary...... Tough, disciplined
Ledger..... Ball winner
Newnes..... Allround good player, tough
Roberton..... Agile for height, carries footy, creates
White......... Athletic freak, can be mercurial
Armitage...... Tough, one touch player, tackling machine
Dempster...... Discipline
Fisher.......... Star
Dal............... Star
Webster........ Evasive skills, kicking skills
Murdoch........ Strong, solid skill set
Simpkin...... Strong, courageous and tough
Milera........ Talented
Gwilt......... Composure, decision making and kicking skills (except 2013?)
Saunders....... Tough, courageous ball hunter
Dunnell.......... All Round skill set, disciplined
Shenton......... Quick, has ability
Minchington...... Ability
Pierce............ Good attitude, moves well, 203cm
Curran........... Attitude, effort, tough
Milne............ Star
Ferguson...... Showed some potential as a rebounder

There's some 'redeeming' features from the guy who HATES StK and doesn't rate ANYONE on the list..... What a load of rubbish!!

I think we have some great players.... Looking through that list, not an outrageous comment to suggest we are not that bad?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The whole club feels better now that BM has given us his redeeming features of our players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Stanley has played as a ruckmen much this year has he?

(I have been drinking more during matches as the season has gone on...)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not a great deal

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Structure comes first, personnel fit the structure
I think you'll find at draft time the majority of clubs choose personnel (best available) over position (structure).

For instance, we desperately need backmen, but we won't use pick 3 on the best available full back in the comp.
We'll get the best available player.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
BigMart wrote:Structure comes first, personnel fit the structure
I think you'll find at draft time the majority of clubs choose personnel (best available) over position (structure).

For instance, we desperately need backmen, but we won't use pick 3 on the best available full back in the comp.
We'll get the best available player.
That always seems to be the case and from what I hear the franchise clubs in particular GWS have stockpiled the best available so they can use them as bargaining chips in later trade periods. But does that drafting principle apply if you are a club that has only one or two very specific needs such as a club in the premiership window as opposed to a club at the bottom of the equalisation cycle.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In the top of the draft.... Yes, my word... Best player you think...

It's a common factor, because you need to develop them, and it's easier to develop higher talent into AFL footballers, but still it's a lottery... History suggests not on top ten would be remotely the same in the years after the draft

Deep in the draft.... I think you need to start finding players, and having succession plans.....

No good having a great list... With a gaping hole in its structure?! It will be exploited come finals time... As we know!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

yes but even primary school kids understand that it depends where you are in the equalisation cycle. Maybe it's a mainland thing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wonder how many primary school kids know where teams are in the 'equalisation cycle'??

Breed em smart in FNQ?

Which goes against the stereotype.... Not sure why you bagging Tasmania?

I'd say I don't take offence because I left there when I was 16 and have lived in Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne over the last 24 years?? But I do, because my family, who are good people still live there and have done for 60 years... As have 500 000 Australians and some of the best footballing talent ever to grace a field.... Saints in particular

How many AFL legends have come from FNQ?

Armitage..... He's almost Ian Stewart

No offence Armo.... I love his game style.... But the point is there...

Bag Tasmanians all you like I suppose.... I'm proud of coming from the same parts as...
Ponting, Boon, Baldock, Richardson, Riewoldt, Hudson, Grenda, Foster, Pritchard, Grant, Lawrence, Clarke, Ambrose, Howell.... Should I continue?? There's another 50 or so...

Greg T
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I'll list them Gringo for you

Nathan Wright... Ball carrier, tough
Arryn Siposs.... Skills
Steven...... Clearance winner, ball carrier
McEvoy... Contested marking, smart player
Ross...... Tough, ball winner, good balance
Hayes..... Legend
Markworth..... Speed, evasive
Joey........ Star
Riewoldt......Legend
Schnieder...... Creative, skilled, smart
Geary...... Tough, disciplined
Ledger..... Ball winner
Newnes..... Allround good player, tough
Roberton..... Agile for height, carries footy, creates
White......... Athletic freak, can be mercurial
Armitage...... Tough, one touch player, tackling machine
Dempster...... Discipline
Fisher.......... Star
Dal............... Star
Webster........ Evasive skills, kicking skills
Murdoch........ Strong, solid skill set
Simpkin...... Strong, courageous and tough
Milera........ Talented
Gwilt......... Composure, decision making and kicking skills (except 2013?)
Saunders....... Tough, courageous ball hunter
Dunnell.......... All Round skill set, disciplined
Shenton......... Quick, has ability
Minchington...... Ability
Pierce............ Good attitude, moves well, 203cm
Curran........... Attitude, effort, tough
Milne............ Star
Ferguson...... Showed some potential as a rebounder

There's some 'redeeming' features from the guy who HATES StK and doesn't rate ANYONE on the list..... What a load of rubbish!!

I think we have some great players.... Looking through that list, not an outrageous comment to suggest we are not that bad?!
Fabulous, on this assessment we should be playing off in the granny !

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The whole club feels better now that BM has given us his redeeming features of our players.
It's boring when some posters glorify and laud certain players while constantly bagging other players ( like some of the crap I've read about Kosi, CJ, TDL, Gilbo and of course the Raph haters in the past). I reckon most people agree that BM provides constructive inciteful intelligent opinions and I'd rather read opinions that have some thought behind them rather than your sarcasm or Cairnsmans attempts at humour.

You and others pick a player and your adulatian goes beyond bias - it's basically blind or at best it's one-eyed.

He is allowed to have a different opinion to you and his posts are backed up by balanced arguments looking at the positives and negatives. Just because somenoe highlights areas for improvement, doesn't mean that they think all hope is lost. If Hickey improves, guess who will be happy - YES BM will!!! Just like he is stoked that Jack Steven is constantly improving. Contrast that with the attitude from some posters for some of our players (and some of our ex coaches) where the lauding and admiration turns into a messiah mentality.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There are 17 other teams too....

With AFL players who can also play, who are also tough??

Point was about me.... Apparently NOT rating any player at StK

Our list is not as far away as most people think..... But a few areas let us down....
Namely... Structure and GP
Execution of skills mainly by foot
Tall Backs
Inconsistent effort, youth & Vets are physically/mentally inferior to those in heir prime... We have our majority not in their prime.

Greg T
Club Player

I actually like the set up of Hickey and Big Boy in the side, with Rhys as a spare.
Hickey is improving and should make it. Maybe expectations were too high for him.
McEvoy looks good when he takes the big marks in the forward line and he's a great kick.
I'd persist with Hickey, he needs another year at he club to settle ,as do a few others.
Genuine ruck men will always be part of the game,even at the breakneck speed it's played at.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Galloping coatracks

If he could take a grab, I'd rate him...... I really reckon if you stand 201cm.... You need to be able to effect the game aerially...

Greg T
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Wonder how many primary school kids know where teams are in the 'equalisation cycle'??

Breed em smart in FNQ?

Which goes against the stereotype.... Not sure why you bagging Tasmania?

I'd say I don't take offence because I left there when I was 16 and have lived in Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne over the last 24 years?? But I do, because my family, who are good people still live there and have done for 60 years... As have 500 000 Australians and some of the best footballing talent ever to grace a field.... Saints in particular

How many AFL legends have come from FNQ?

Armitage..... He's almost Ian Stewart

No offence Armo.... I love his game style.... But the point is there...

Bag Tasmanians all you like I suppose.... I'm proud of coming from the same parts as...
Ponting, Boon, Baldock, Richardson, Riewoldt, Hudson, Grenda, Foster, Pritchard, Grant, Lawrence, Clarke, Ambrose, Howell.... Should I continue?? There's another 50 or so...
Nothing wrong with Tassie BM! Keep them coming,
I would personally like to see aside there instead of west Sydney...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The whole club feels better now that BM has given us his redeeming features of our players.
It's boring when some posters glorify and laud certain players while constantly bagging other players ( like some of the crap I've read about Kosi, CJ, TDL, Gilbo and of course the Raph haters in the past). I reckon most people agree that BM provides constructive inciteful intelligent opinions and I'd rather read opinions that have some thought behind them rather than your sarcasm or Cairnsmans attempts at humour.

You and others pick a player and your adulatian goes beyond bias - it's basically blind or at best it's one-eyed.

He is allowed to have a different opinion to you and his posts are backed up by balanced arguments looking at the positives and negatives. Just because somenoe highlights areas for improvement, doesn't mean that they think all hope is lost. If Hickey improves, guess who will be happy - YES BM will!!! Just like he is stoked that Jack Steven is constantly improving. Contrast that with the attitude from some posters for some of our players (and some of our ex coaches) where the lauding and admiration turns into a messiah mentality.

I laud your lauding of him. Yes he can have an opinion just as i can about his opinion. Also if you are going to make comments you pick a player and the adulation goes beyond bias then tell us all these players. I can honestly say that comment doesnt apply to me so please dont say it. And if you think his arguments are balanced you must fall over a hell of a lot. He mainly posts to knock players and the club and then the occasionally this guy is ok when pushed. Even the saunders thread he started to say well done he then knocked the guy because a few said he was better than BM thought so he then thinks he has to bring the player down a peg. he also calls Jack Steven a fair player because he refuses to say he was wrong about him so wont acknowledgw he is much better than a fair player.

If you keep following him scollop and laud him you will Aalways keep falling over with his unblanced opinions and that is my opinion.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

And if you think his arguments are balanced you must fall over a hell of a lot.

I know humour when I see it and that is comedy gold.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you need support from old mate Cairnsman??... I think you should gang up... Bullies are more effective in teams...

Even if they are soft Internet bullies who stalk people they are a bit obsessed by?! And sprout stuff they would never do, out of the comfort of their own living room.....

Don't mind if you join forces with old mate, you'll end up as popular as he is???

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do you need support from old mate Cairnsman??... I think you should gang up... Bullies are more effective in teams...

Even if they are soft Internet bullies who stalk people they are a bit obsessed by?! And sprout stuff they would never do, out of the comfort of their own living room.....

Don't mind if you join forces with old mate, you'll end up as popular as he is???
You really don't do yourself any favours.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do you need support from old mate Cairnsman??... I think you should gang up... Bullies are more effective in teams...

That isnt very nice BM. Is someone a bully because they dont agree with your opinion.