Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milera

Move on fellas he's out for the season or close to it.

Time to unleash the wildman Shenton and drop Stanley!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junior
Club Player

Happened near where I was standing, to suggest he got injured because he does not like being tackled is absolute crap.

As he tends to do tried to take the tackler on and got nailed, ball dropped in the tackle then it looked like both he and the tackler went to ground with his leg pinned under.

He was in instant pain throwing his mouth guard away, looked terrible up close.

For what it is worth if we are looking for a small forward that can play midfield as well then Minchington is the man.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Happened near where I was standing, to suggest he got injured because he does not like being tackled is absolute crap.

As he tends to do tried to take the tackler on and got nailed, ball dropped in the tackle then it looked like both he and the tackler went to ground with his leg pinned under.

He was in instant pain throwing his mouth guard away, looked terrible up close.

For what it is worth if we are looking for a small forward that can play midfield as well then Minchington is the man.

He was injured so long his fitness base would be pretty low. I like him though he's a little jet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Any confirmation on injury?

If it is broken should the Wild Man come in?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Any updates or confirmations?
Well from the posts on this thread, the update I can give you is that he has poor disposal, wont tackle, is a hack, and deserved to have his ankle broken because he is a squib.

Think I covered all of the angles so far from the peanut gallery. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Well from the posts on this thread, the update I can give you is that he has poor disposal, wont tackle, is a hack, and deserved to have his ankle broken because he is a squib.

What i don't get (and I played basketball so humour me) is why the guys that line people up like Giansiracusa and that nobody at Port who lined up someone who was blind sided is seen as tough but a guy who chooses not to have what was done to Roberton is a weak squib?

It is just a weird old fashioned idea that you should lay your head on a railroad track because others did it in the olden days to me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

What i don't get (and I played basketball so humour me) is why the guys that line people up like Giansiracusa and that nobody at Port who lined up someone who was blind sided is seen as tough but a guy who chooses not to have what was done to Roberton is a weak squib?

It is just a weird old fashioned idea that you should lay your head on a railroad track because others did it in the olden days to me.

I must have missed all the people who said what jonas and Gia did was tough. Matter of fact i dont think i have ever heard it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

People hero worship the enforcers like we do when they are ours but if you are to smart to put your head on the line you are a squib.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I don't know if that is it for Milera but he had a long way to go to come back after lowering his eyes the other weekend, dropping the mark.
It marked his card for sure imo.
Also, when tackled he does indeed play for a free.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:People hero worship the enforcers like we do when they are ours but if you are to smart to put your head on the line you are a squib.

Still dont get you. No one ever said Roberton or Kosi were squibs. I have no idea what you mean.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's not tough.... But can play...

Not everyone is Lenny Hayes?..... But he can do some things which require exceptional skill

It takes all types to form an effective team.... Can't have 22 Clint Jones's or 22 Steven Milnes... It takes all sorts... Terry is a type of a player

Flashy, skilled, creative HF

One thing he does have.... Good hands for his size.... Seen him pack mark and one out mark

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:People hero worship the enforcers like we do when they are ours but if you are to smart to put your head on the line you are a squib.

Still dont get you. No one ever said Roberton or Kosi were squibs. I have no idea what you mean.

no because they did permanent neurological damage they are tough. Only soft c%$#s don'y let their heads get taken off. I would rather be the soft smart guy than the guy with no short term memory by the time I'm 40.

You do get what I'm saying you are just being a stirring provocateur as usual.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

no because they did permanent neurological damage they are tough. Only soft c%$#s don'y let their heads get taken off. I would rather be the soft smart guy than the guy with no short term memory by the time I'm 40.

You state something that no one has said and then say I am stirring. Do you actually ever remember what you post? You say some players are thought as tough for hitting players in the head and others are thought as squibs for being hit in the head. I then point out i have never heard anyone say that about either type and then you come up with stuff. its like when you said you took your kid to the lightning premeiership this week and I asked was the games at King George and for some reason you dont even know what im talking about. It wasnt a hard question.

Anyway who has ever said either type of player is tough or a squib? You said it so you must have examples.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

You state something that no one has said and then say I am stirring. Do you actually ever remember what you post? You say some players are thought as tough for hitting players in the head and others are thought as squibs for being hit in the head. I then point out i have never heard anyone say that about either type and then you come up with stuff. its like when you said you took your kid to the lightning premeiership this week and I asked was the games at King George and for some reason you dont even know what im talking about. It wasnt a hard question.

Anyway who has ever said either type of player is tough or a squib? You said it so you must have examples.[/quote]

Oh sorry i thought you meant the game in the 1990s- now I get it, it was in Port melbourne i can't remember the ovals name- I was up to make f$%#ing sandwiches at about 5 am so wasn't really with it- I just followed the map coordinates. well run though the old SMJFL.

There are plenty of people get hysterical about players dogging it, squibbing what ever, you remember the writing off of Jamie cripps after about 2 games, the hysteria about what a soft c**k Josh hunt was etc. we always thought Hamill was tough when he would run through people same with bakes.

North people though Choppy Pickett was a hard man when he was a cowardly sniper. Same with buddah hocking- I was at the ground when Harves got run through and you could just about feel the ground shake he got him so good. No one called them cowards. But god forbid the guy who doesn't want a wheelchair as part of his attire.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I see him as a Troy Bond type. Tough as jello, but classy enough to kick 4 goals on the most important day of the calendar. I think every side needs a couple of these types. I hope he stays.

8856brother wrote:I see him as a Troy Bond type. Tough as jello, but classy enough to kick 4 goals on the most important day of the calendar. I think every side needs a couple of these types. I hope he stays.
+1

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

When you're a footballer.... And you have to go..... You have to go

Why?

Because its expected of everyone, not a few.... If one person is afforded the luxury of short steps, where do team standards begin and end??

Not everyone can physically go as hard as Armo, but you do what you have to do..... There isn't time or place to think about damage or Wellbeing on a footy field.... Especially at professional level... If you think about that... You don't play the game, in fact you can't play footy... Because a part of footy is putting your body on the line to win the ball for your team mates

Players who aren't built for the continual contest, play in a different position than the coal face..... Therefore find themselves in less contests..... That doesn't mean that when their turn comes they don't take their turn, regardless of any possible outcome other than trying to win the footy...

Tom Lonergan..... Does he play it safe now?

NO!

savatage
SS Life Member

Regardless of the back and forth here - he was having a ripper game in the 2's. Was involved in everything & like Schneider, everything seemed to be pretty easy at VFL level for him. There's no doubt Schneids is a smart AFL footballer. Milera is an in between type - too good for the VFL & not good enough to be a consistent AFL footballer. If his strength...but not really just that - if his strength "at the contest" was harder - he would be a good AFL footballer. The fact that he isn't leaves him in limbo.

Really felt for him yesterday though. Got hurt right in front of me....was slamming his fist into the ground and grimacing in a lot of pain. Speedy recovery Terry.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Regardless of the back and forth here - he was having a ripper game in the 2's. Was involved in everything & like Schneider, everything seemed to be pretty easy at VFL level for him. There's no doubt Schneids is a smart AFL footballer. Milera is an in between type - too good for the VFL & not good enough to be a consistent AFL footballer. If his strength...but not really just that - if his strength "at the contest" was harder - he would be a good AFL footballer. The fact that he isn't leaves him in limbo.

Really felt for him yesterday though. Got hurt right in front of me....was slamming his fist into the ground and grimacing in a lot of pain. Speedy recovery Terry.
+1
If he gets on the gear and put on some more strength and weight - and therefore came off less worse off in the collisions (remember that force of hitting an object is = m x a) so mass counts a lot!

I think this is why Milera and TDL avoid collisions. It is simple High School Physics. They will nearly always finish off worse because they are 20% lighter than most people they will collide with in the AFL. The weight differential is not so severe in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL.

savatage
SS Life Member

Partially agree with that - but there's been some skinny guys that have been ferocious at the contest...you can be gutsy & committed to hitting and taking hits without being the hulk also. This seems to be something you either have or you don't have.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Partially agree with that - but there's been some skinny guys that have been ferocious at the contest...you can be gutsy & committed to hitting and taking hits without being the hulk also. This seems to be something you either have or you don't have.
Matty Lappin!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
savatage wrote:Partially agree with that - but there's been some skinny guys that have been ferocious at the contest...you can be gutsy & committed to hitting and taking hits without being the hulk also. This seems to be something you either have or you don't have.
Matty Lappin!
1 in ten years across 16 clubs..
Its bloody rare.
Lewis Jetta is skinny but hes twice as quick as TDL/Tezza
Point is sure there are exceptions - but all things being equal it would help their games if they were a bit more robust and could compete more often.
Anyway. Point is at this stage they are incomplete and inadequate at AFL level.
Anyone who plays AFL is tough and courageous. Full stop.
Some people want to call them silly names - i prefer constructive advice on areas of improvement.

70s sainter
Club Player

So the question is now do we keep him at years end? If its true that he's 25 I can't see him putting on any more bulk , so I would assume his attack on the ball and players with the ball won't increase . If that's the case I would be comfortable to let him go. Just no room in the side for a player who steps aside instead of laying a tackle.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Some people hold up his age as a reason why he won't improve -he has only played about a 15 games. He seems a confidence player to me and he needs games to get that. The nerves and pressure are often overwhelming to guys starting their careers -he is worth persevering with IMO.

savatage
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Matty Lappin!
Yep.