Tonights positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Re: Tonights positives

Little Dozer wrote:Jack Steven is now elite. McEvoy was excellent and is now a consistenly good performer.

Saunders, Newnes, Webster, Hickey, Lee and Curren all look to have promising futures.

Bitterly disappointed with the showing from Stanley and Dennis-Lane.
got to agree, Stanley and TDL were terrible.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of positives. Now we've just got to learn to win again.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stanley and Dennis-Lane back to Sandy. Don't want to see either of them back until form warrants it.
Hopefully Ledger and White play blinders and come in.
Thought Tom Lee showed something tonight as well. Good to see.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Webster, Newnes, Curren, Saunders, Lee, Hickey and Simpkin should now be given the rest of the season. Results don't matter but getting games into this group as well as Wright, Ross and Murdoch.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Webster, Newnes, Curren, Saunders, Lee, Hickey and Simpkin should now be given the rest of the season. Results don't matter but getting games into this group as well as Wright, Ross and Murdoch.
Respectfully disagree, results do matter. But the rest of what you said about getting games into developing players I will drink to.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe Stanley has gone from the messiah to the problem in no time at all, still, it's his own fault entirely, he plays like a girl.. :roll: :roll:

Will he make it, or will he be another SA failure ?

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Simpkin improved second half, used his aggression well

TC can walk into a hot game and make a difference, give him a full game next week

Jimmy Webster doesn't just have second efforts, he has third efforts

Saunders is as tough as....

Gwilt silenced the old couple behind me bagging him all night

kalsaint
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Got Wright,Murdoch,Gilbert,fisher and Schneids to come back in ,future looks not so bad!
Add some of the kids in rotation too; Ross, Sippos, Curren for a full game.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:Playing well, blooding good young players yet clinging on to that pick 3 in the draft - Priceless!
Webster's kicking, Newnes pressure, Saunders attack on the footy, Seany Dempster and Tommy Simpkin's defensive work, Hickey's ruck work and handballs, Macca's around the ground marking and possessions, Jack's brilliance and goal of the year contender, Curran's cameo,....oh yeaah nearly forgot...Thanks umps for the loss tonight...lock in Pick 3.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

bigred wrote:What the hell are we going to do without Lenny?

I dont even want to imagine footy without him.
True that BR, he makes such a difference

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Filth lost.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

thought Stanley looked much better up forward... lead to the right spots, got his hands on the ball though couldn't hold marks, helped the structure

would like to see him forward for a while

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spud02 wrote:Jack Steven

Jimmy Webster's footskills

Tommy Lee's goal kicking

Josh Saunders' attack on the footy
+ 1
Yes yes yes

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Also anyone who says Hickey is no good either has no idea or has an agenda, like calling him bad early on and now cant say they are wrong.

Hickey is still a baby in rucking terms and will become a very very good ruckman.

Has a heap of skill, can get his hands on the ball, terrible kick, especially at goal, but he has plenty of time to work on that.

I really like what i see with Hickey.

And i know Stanley is the new Raph on here, but he always seems so much better up forward as he did last night.

Once we get some backs, he can go to his natural position and begin to get better.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Also anyone who says Hickey is no good either has no idea or has an agenda, like calling him bad early on and now cant say they are wrong.

Hickey is still a baby in rucking terms and will become a very very good ruckman.

Has a heap of skill, can get his hands on the ball, terrible kick, especially at goal, but he has plenty of time to work on that.

I really like what i see with Hickey.

And i know Stanley is the new Raph on here, but he always seems so much better up forward as he did last night.

Once we get some backs, he can go to his natural position and begin to get better.

The problem i see JB though is how do you fit Lee, Rooy, Stanley and either Ben or Hickey into the one forward line. They may all play differently but none of them will really get the ball on the ground below their knees or keep the ball in the forward line. We are one tall to many at the moment IMO. Stanley is only playing because he can go back.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[The problem i see JB though is how do you fit Lee, Rooy, Stanley and either Ben or Hickey into the one forward line. They may all play differently but none of them will really get the ball on the ground below their knees or keep the ball in the forward line. We are one tall to many at the moment IMO.
Fair assessment. My opinion is based on what I see as a ruckman. He is getting rubbished by one fairly vocal member of this forum every time he plays.

Well I see a fair bit of presence as a ruckman and he has a high skill level arounfd the ground. He positions himself well up forward, but his kicking is appalling.

I am hoping he can improve that as per Stuey Loewe who was on a par with Hickety as a kick for goal early on and eventually kicked 90 goals in a season.
plugger66 wrote:Stanley is only playing because he can go back.
Have seen no evidence of this so far this season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[The problem i see JB though is how do you fit Lee, Rooy, Stanley and either Ben or Hickey into the one forward line. They may all play differently but none of them will really get the ball on the ground below their knees or keep the ball in the forward line. We are one tall to many at the moment IMO.
Fair assessment. My opinion is based on what I see as a ruckman. He is getting rubbished by one fairly vocal member of this forum every time he plays.

Well I see a fair bit of presence as a ruckman and he has a high skill level arounfd the ground. He positions himself well up forward, but his kicking is appalling.

I am hoping he can improve that as per Stuey Loewe who was on a par with Hickety as a kick for goal early on and eventually kicked 90 goals in a season.
plugger66 wrote:Stanley is only playing because he can go back.
Have seen no evidence of this so far this season.

Well we have all seen evidence he can go back. We havent seen any evidence he can do it well. I actually would drop Stanley out of all the talls and get him back to sandy to try and get some confidence back. he needs it. When a guy we know to be very quick can look so slow it suggests to me he has lost all confidence. As for Hickey, I like him and like you said kicking for goal can be improved and he needs to work on it over summer.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Tom Simpkin is a Warrior and should never be dropped again!

sasaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: We are one tall to many at the moment IMO.
What a great problem to have. :) Wouldn't the doggies love it. They have nothing up forward. And we still have maybe one big surprise package still playing in the twos. Possible end of season deal with the doggies? One of our developing forwards for an A class mid? Win Win?

Patience young grasshopper
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:
What a great problem to have. :) Wouldn't the doggies love it. They have nothing up forward. And we still have maybe one big surprise package still playing in the twos. Possible end of season deal with the doggies? One of our developing forwards for an A class mid? Win Win?

Apart from Rooy who is 30 none of them have showed much as forwards yet. It maybe a great problem to have but its a big problem at the moment. The only difference between the dogs talls and ours is a 30 year old player.

70s sainter
Club Player

Positives- with two proper large backmen in the side we would have won last week and last night against middle of the rung sides.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:
The dogs have Stringer who will be a gun and I still think Liam Jones will be a pretty decent forward too.

Tommy Lee has great hands- his quick handpassing and one touch marks are excellent. I can see him being a very good forward and he also applies much more pressure than even Rooey.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Positives...Lee has a good mop.

felix
Club Player

That was an 8 goal comeback , we can flick the switch , the coach can give a good spray ( I presume) n

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy played with much more aggression and confidence compared to the rest of the year. He should make a mess of the inexperienced B-graders that Port had in the ruck but only broke even in the hitouts. What was great though was seeing him finally drifting forward and doing some damage. He's a great mark and a very good kick, there's no reason why he shouldn't be kicking at least 20 goals a season.

Curren looked good. Was clean, composed and hard at the contest. Played half forward, I'd like to see him spend some time in the midfield and see if he can help our clearance problem.

Dal was excellent, worked hard and was clean with the footy. Gwilt was also very good for the second week in a row. Simpkin made our backline look much better, there wasn't much he could have done about those two early goals to Butcher. Jack Steven is absolutely elite. Lee is looking like a quality full forward for the next 8 years.