Where list is at looking forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Where list is at looking forward

Ok well past half way and thought I would look at where players are at , who may have saved their careers, who hasn't etc - in the opinion of this supporters

A Graders - Roo - awesome year considering the team performance .

Veterans :
Hayes - come back as champion does - needed for next season
Kosi - Injuries have broken him , hopefully gets gifted 200th - gone
Milne - forget controversy although can still play time is up, controvery will ensure that also - gone
Blake - Back as insurance this year , one of the great club men - gone
Fisher - Injuries cruelled season - get fit and back fro 2014
Monty - a very solid season - back again
Dal - Been a bit down , probably that type of player a little not made to be "the man" - needed to teach the young ones
Gilbert- Season a right off . Disposal poor so if back perhaps as a wingman. Would have been trade bait but missing the year not sure of the bites
Ray - may well have saved his career. Very good season probably I would think may well be top 10 B& F?
Maister - Injured. Shows a bit but drops easy marks. Good lead up player , Next season make or break I would think
Dempster - injured although starting to find form , good preseason 2014

Middle aged:
Gwilt - 1 st full season after reco . I think will benefit from having a big down back, generally good disposal a bonus
Geary - much improved run with player providing drive. Seems to drift out of games so needs bigger tank
McEvoy - developing nicely long term leader at the club
Steven- Realy kept developing - ball use can be poor at times but breaks lines and clearances improved
Arimitage - grunt work and bigger tank have helped this year with development.
Schneider - injured all year . Question must be asked can his body hold up to AFL - if not sorry but bye
Stanley - Developed well this season . Personally love to see him kept at CHB, but think he needs to get 1 spot and ruck help out or back/forward when required
Jones - Last few weeks may have saved him - finish season the same may be enough . Will be touch and go
Dennis Lane - Shown a bit last few weeks. Probably get 2nd year
Saad - Disappointing , pressure acts and physical presense poor - May see either him or MIlera as trade bait
Milera - Either need sbigger tank to go up the field more or aggression as poor tackler and nor pressure when forward
Roberton - Arguably the best recruit this season for us. reminds me of Tim Pekin
Dunnell - I think has upside still worth perservering with
Simpkins - May be gone if they recruit big backs

Youth - all these guys have shown a bit or yet to get a game due to bodies . Gives us a young base not seen for many years
Hickey
Siposs
Ross
Lee
Newness
Webster
Murdoch
White
Wright
Saunders
Pierce
Ferguson

Ledger - clearly an issue - disposal poor but must be more to it. May well be gone

Markworth - inj

So gone - Blake, Kosi, Milne, Simpkin, ledger, Schnieder? ,Milera?
Would not be surprised to see someone who we would think is a keeper traded if they think they can improve a position and we have a surplus of these types. - Hence Milera ?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where list is at looking forward

older saint wrote:Ok well past half way and thought I would look at where players are at , who may have saved their careers, who hasn't etc - in the opinion of this supporters

A Graders - Roo - awesome year considering the team performance .

Veterans :
Hayes - come back as champion does - needed for next season (may be touch and go)
Kosi - Injuries have broken him , hopefully gets gifted 200th - gone (agree)
Milne - forget controversy although can still play time is up, controvery will ensure that also - gone (agree)
Blake - Back as insurance this year , one of the great club men - gone (agree)
Fisher - Injuries cruelled season - get fit and back fro 2014 (hope he has a good 2014)
Monty - a very solid season - back again (one more year I think)
Dal - Been a bit down , probably that type of player a little not made to be "the man" - needed to teach the young ones (a worry)
Gilbert- Season a right off . Disposal poor so if back perhaps as a wingman. Would have been trade bait but missing the year not sure of the bites (Ok for 2014)
Ray - may well have saved his career. Very good season probably I would think may well be top 10 B& F? (goes missing a bit in tight games)
Maister - Injured. Shows a bit but drops easy marks. Good lead up player , Next season make or break I would think (good value, should stay)
Dempster - injured although starting to find form , good preseason 2014 (another year)

Middle aged:
Gwilt - 1 st full season after reco . I think will benefit from having a big down back, generally good disposal a bonus (over-worked, needs support)
Geary - much improved run with player providing drive. Seems to drift out of games so needs bigger tank (tries hard, good ordinary player)
McEvoy - developing nicely long term leader at the club (needs consistency to take next step)
Steven- Realy kept developing - ball use can be poor at times but breaks lines and clearances improved (defensive game is hopeless ,but quite good otherwise)
Arimitage - grunt work and bigger tank have helped this year with development. (too slow, good trier- I would trade him)
Schneider - injured all year . Question must be asked can his body hold up to AFL - if not sorry but bye (dunno)
Stanley - Developed well this season . Personally love to see him kept at CHB, but think he needs to get 1 spot and ruck help out or back/forward when required (good athlete, ordinary footballer- trade)
Jones - Last few weeks may have saved him - finish season the same may be enough . Will be touch and go (good value)
Dennis Lane - Shown a bit last few weeks. Probably get 2nd year (agree)
Saad - Disappointing , pressure acts and physical presense poor - May see either him or MIlera as trade bait ( trade)
Milera - Either need sbigger tank to go up the field more or aggression as poor tackler and nor pressure when forward (trade)
Roberton - Arguably the best recruit this season for us. reminds me of Tim Pekin (great)
Dunnell - I think has upside still worth perservering with (definately worth keeping)
Simpkins - May be gone if they recruit big backs (keep him)

Youth - all these guys have shown a bit or yet to get a game due to bodies . Gives us a young base not seen for many years
Hickey (will be a valuable tall in years to come)
Siposs (lazy -trade)
Ross (needs to build up tank over summer))
Lee (good value)
Newness (needs to build up and take the next step in 2014- captain material)
Webster (good)
Murdoch (good)
White (hoping for big things)
Wright (good)
Saunders (Ok)
Pierce (?)
Ferguson (gone)

Ledger - clearly an issue - disposal poor but must be more to it. May well be gone (needs to be given a few senior games)

Markworth - inj

So gone - Blake, Kosi, Milne, Simpkin, ledger, Schnieder? ,Milera?
Would not be surprised to see someone who we would think is a keeper traded if they think they can improve a position and we have a surplus of these types. - Hence Milera ?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Where is the list?
In the paper shredder!

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What good traits is Dal going to teach the younglings?? How to beat a tag 101??

He is a supreme talent.... That you cannot teach...

His attitude is unacceptable.... That can filter

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The list is flawed, we all know that, although, exactly where, is always debated.

It's a big job for the Pelican and co to fill the gaps in the list and then for those recruits to actually deliver once they are on the list

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Last time i looked we were 3rd bottom.
Both teams below us are absolute basket cases.
Most teams above us have younger lists and can still beat us .
That tells me we have an old declining list desperately in need of some young guns.

falka
Club Player

It will be interesting the direction we take

If only 23 and 27 retire who else gets the chop?

If we promote Curren and land free agent / trade pick for player eg Mitch Brown then we still need to delist 3 players minimum for draft. Yet I believe we would want at least 4 picks if not 5.

Also big wraps re Minchington so does he get promoted? Ferg? (Unlikely?)

44 a possible situational retirement?

It isn't as obvious as I thought at start of year where I thought Jones a definite de list

Would anyone want a Ray, Milera ? Do we want to keep them?

It's an interesting exercise looking at our best back 6-9?

We want to see Wright Webster Newnes in team maybe they move more midfield. But can we have Roberton, Dempster, Gwilt, Gilbert, Fisher and possible Trade target in 1 side and continue to develop the list.

So is this the area we look to trade out and cull? And what of Simpkin and Lever?
Do we trade one of the experienced boys for something? Would Gwilt or Fisher bring any trade currency these days ?
Would a gws really give anything for this type? Can't hey get back to best in2014?

I think despite solid early form, Wilkes might be a casualty. We have lee roo white Stanley and resting ruck for forward options.

TDL a whipping boy but does he have a 2nd year contract and does the coach rate some of his defensive efforts to get another year?

What if Ledger got some games and showed a bit? Would he have any currency? Unlikely as clubs would just tell him to walk via draft.

What about the 3 rucks, could we realistically see any getting traded? Prob no, yet can't see all playing together.

What if we were offered pick 13 for Dal? Doesthatbecome too tempting, yet robs our dire midfield?

It's going robe a very interesting time

Thoughts?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Clean out Kosi, Blake and Milney for sure.

Delist TDL and Milera as they are softer than butter.

That's 5 chopped. A good start. Perhaps two more - maybe Meister and one other not sure?

Not sure about Saad either.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Clean out Kosi, Blake and Milney for sure.

Delist TDL and Milera as they are softer than butter.

That's 5 chopped. A good start. Perhaps two more - maybe Meister and one other not sure?

Not sure about Saad either.

Ledger must go unless hedoes something in the next 6 games. I think they should keep Saad and one of the other 3 small forwards. you can play one and the other is back up. Going from 4 to none would be a bit silly. Schneider must be in trouble as well. No point having someone of his age on the list just to watch the others play. Dont worry there are plenty to get rid of.

lloyd21
Club Player

Think this will be it myself Kosi Blake Hayes Milne Jones will be gone.
Before anybody goes on about the last 3 Stkilda need to improve list this will allow them to attract FA .
Would think they move on Milera or Ledger and 4 rookies at this stage .
Curren Ferguson are playing for their future (pity ferguson injured)TDL Gone if uncontracted.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Kosi Blake Hayes Milne Jones will be gone.

Before anybody goes on about the last 3 Stkilda need to improve list this will allow them to attract FA .
We already have the FA room with BJ having gone and Gram having gone unexpectedly.

We wont spend more again as that would make fora huge probably going forward that our younger players as they age will expect more, and in particular any of them that really step up.

However our ladder position and state of the list will make it difficult to gain any real FA stars.

The Dees and GWS have both show that you need some older leaders and very good players to help the younger ones improve.

Hayes has that indefinable ability to drag others along with him to grater efforts and so I believe he will stay.

Milne: If it was not for the court case I believe he would be kept for one more year. The club wanting to avoid controversy may cut him adrift....and this is probably one reason that they are happy to let him play out the year at present.

Jones: One of the few players that can actually make tackles stick. I fancy that they will want his hard body for another year. However IF we can gaina good FA mid then that may mean they let him go.

DEFINITES
Blake, Kosi

LIKELIES
Ledger

POSSIBLES
Lever
TDL...has to show more in te rest of the year
Milera..they will want to keep him, and so will depend on who else they may be able to land
Milne
Jones (think he will be kept)
Ray. I like him, but am so not so sure Watters
Dunnell. Will depend on who we can get in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....