Well said Caro

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Well said Caro

plugger66 wrote:.....

.....What i have learned on here though is you should never do the wrong thing by our club and leave unless you are injury prone or maybe finished as a player. Just look at the crap Bally and BJ get off some people here.
Do they ever, I'm glad I never bought into that - and they were getting slammed before they left as well

Don't leave the footy club under any circumstances, otherwise history might be re-written. God help Dal Santo IF he goes.....

Stand your ground :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He took us to two GF's

Not a great argument.... A list with half a dozen or more genuine A Graders/Elite in their prime propelled us to two grand finals.... We were fortunate to get our hands on some rich talent....

Yes he coached them well (different to managed them) but it was the players who got us into the GFs.... Lyon never got a possession whilst at StK...

Big problem.... He never won one, and in 7 years has not....

His effort with Ball was disgraceful..... Keep him or let him go.... HTF did he not get the club ANY compensation for him.... Better still, work out his issues with Luke and keep a great character at the club, rather than trading pick 16 for a drunk and a woman basher...

And that sentiment from me is not hindsight!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Spinner,

Joel Selwood was torn apart by Hayes in Q1 of the 2009 GF(Bartel had to go to Lenny to tag him)... Ball played more than 20 minutes in the first quarter, only 35 minutes out of the next 90 minutes..... So unless Joel, who was OK in the GF but possessions per minute was not much as Bally was on the bench for an hour he was opposed to others...

I think Ball led all comers for possessions per minute, and tackles per minute?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ball is still a very solid player, and an inside mid which we lack.

Goddard is still an excellent player, and has probably been one of the best recruits in 2013.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

After the Arrow.... I muttered 'here, here'

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Spinner,

Joel Selwood was torn apart by Hayes in Q1 of the 2009 GF(Bartel had to go to Lenny to tag him)... Ball played more than 20 minutes in the first quarter, only 35 minutes out of the next 90 minutes..... So unless Joel, who was OK in the GF but possessions per minute was not much as Bally was on the bench for an hour he was opposed to others...

I think Ball led all comers for possessions per minute, and tackles per minute?

2011 Grand Final against Collingwood. Not 2009.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, misunderstood....
don't really care about that game...

hayes66
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:.....

.....What i have learned on here though is you should never do the wrong thing by our club and leave unless you are injury prone or maybe finished as a player. Just look at the crap Bally and BJ get off some people here.
Do they ever, I'm glad I never bought into that - and they were getting slammed before they left as well

Don't leave the footy club under any circumstances, otherwise history might be re-written. God help Dal Santo IF he goes.....
Never has a truer word been spoken. That doesn't just apply for players. Coaches, administers etc. you leave then everything you did was crap. There doesn't seem to be a balanced viewpoint on their contribution.
I think the reason is we are emotionally attached to our club, which is understandable. But once emotion is involved don't expect a reasoned viewpoint.
Just read comments on here when St Kilda lose. Drop this bloke, trade this bloke, so and so is crap.
That' footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW

After the Arrow.... I muttered 'here, here'

You would have because it knocked saints.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sorry, misunderstood....
don't really care about that game...

Because it goes totally against your argument.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How does that go against my argument Spinner

That we should have got some compensation for Ball. An AA, Captain, B&F, RU B&F, 150+ gamer??? It was mis management whichever way you want to try and 'spin' it?! That whole Draft Period was the most ridiculous piece of list management I can remember!!!! But the Ball fiasco took the cake.....it was a joke. And as pointed out in 2009 was costly.

Exactly what point were you making anyway?

darylcowie
Club Player

Geelong and Collingwood were both prepared to keep filtering in the occasional youngster and Geelong didn't need to bottom out like the filth in 05 and 06 to get top quality youngsters. Great coaches have an eye on the present and the future and that is why Ross Lyon will never be a great coach, unlike Mark Thompson and Mick Malthouse, as much as it pains me to admit it!

I loved the ride he took us on in 09, despite all of that chipping back and forth in the backline to inflate Jason Blake's marking stats! 2010 was just a massive struggle to remain in touch with the top four all season once Riewoldt went down, so I do give him kudos for that.

It will be intriguing to see where Freo's list is at by 2016 and if they have won a flag by then, but I for one certainly won't be holding my breath.

It was interesting to hear Damian Hardwicke compare Freo's (Lyon's) defensive flooding to getting caught in peak hour traffic on Punt Road on the way to the G!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!