Watters performance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Watters performance

plugger66 wrote:Pretty hard to tell from the bar but Stanley left back to long IMO and if we play 3 smalls again i will spew up. Dont care that one was Sub. Milera and TDL are not AFL footballers. Its that simple. And it stops midfield rotations. No wonder we struggle in the second half of games.
expecting a caning here....

But, I feel Terry in time could be something... not saying great but something.. he has polish in some of this touches.. just needs to harden the F^&k up in a few areas. TDL agree Saad also having some doubts but i hope he can come good.

I can't remember but how did Milne do in his first 2 years as a saint?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

don't bother got it.

2001 season: AFL debut

Milne was elevated to St Kilda's primary list from the club's rookie list prior to the start of the 2001 season. He played his first official AFL game in 2001 against Port Adelaide at Football Park in Round 4. He scored 2.1 in his first game and had 17 disposals in a losing side.
2002: Leading goalkicker
He was St Kilda's leading goalkicker in 2002, kicking 50 goals from 21 matches in the 2002 AFL Premiership Season.

So he was miles above saad...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I feel Terry in time could be something... not saying great but something.. he has polish in some of this touches.. just needs to harden the F^&k up in a few areas.
He's a frustrating player because he has ability. It's just those soft efforts that let him down.

I know he's not a big guy and, like anyone, doesn't particularly want to be crunched, but you can't duck your head when you're on the lead for a mark.

It sends the wrong message to his teammates ... and to the opposition.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like the skills of milera so can see why we should be playing him despite the lack of consistency. Lindsay Thomas looked a massive waste of space for ages now he's at the top of the Coleman medal count.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I like the skills of milera so can see why we should be playing him despite the lack of consistency. Lindsay Thomas looked a massive waste of space for ages now he's at the top of the Coleman medal count.

Thomas was good player who couldnt kick. cant compare them at all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I like the skills of milera so can see why we should be playing him despite the lack of consistency. Lindsay Thomas looked a massive waste of space for ages now he's at the top of the Coleman medal count.

Did you watch him play- you must have seen more in him than me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did you watch him play- you must have seen more in him than me.

Yes i have seen him play a bit. No idea if I have seen more in him that you but by your response I would say yes. Milera was very good for a first year player last year even though he is a very mature first year player. This year he has been poor and is getting games because he does well at sandy and the other smalls have struggled. None of our smalls apart from Schneider can run through the middle of the ground. Milne at a pinch.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:We've been saying the same thing all year & it's now round 16, I'm about to give this away....

We're essentially tanking with this small forward setup, maybe having saad too would have given us away.

Tell me we couldn't have done with any of wright, Webster, Simpkin, Dunell, Ledger or Curren last night.
we may have even won...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Basically the team looks undisciplined and lacking in any kind of game plan- players have no idea where to run or what to do when the ball is going offensive. Ok, we lack class, but it shouldn't cover up ordinary coaching- too many basic football errors have been going on all year, and thats a coaching issue with no sign of improvement. I still don't think the players are hurting for Watters.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Skeptic said :
I think he's trying to get draft picks by playing kids but has persevered with some seniority in order to demonstrate he is not out and out tanking
He must be a good actor. I was in a good position last night to watch SW at the 1/4 & 3/4 time breaks. His animation and intensity at the breaks certainly indicated that he thought that we could win. :roll:
Sorry JO, never meant to imply that he was deliberately throwing games

I also dont believe that throwing games builds a good culture ala Melbourne

GT played kids in 2002-4 and accepted the short term pain... He weeded out underperforming senior players. The problem is that this approach caught on sooooo much that every other club did it to the point that tanking became an issue.

U can't rebuild like that anymore.

I think SW is doing it right

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

As someone else stated, team selections are compromised at the moment because the focus is on development and rebuilding.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Watters has done nothing to suggest to me that he'll be coaching St Kilda into the top 4. His selections are absurd and his game plan is a mess. He's great with the media and helped re-brand the club after we were perceived as a cold, boring club full of irresponsible players but I'm not convinced about his ability to actually coach a footy team.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:As someone else stated, team selections are compromised at the moment because the focus is on development and rebuilding.

Nick also points out the number of Senior players who have missed chunks of games this year who would have/ may have reduced the number of losses with their experience getting us over the line .

http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/ ... ly2013.mp3

after first few minutes and with in 7-10 minutes.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Watters has done nothing to suggest to me that he'll be coaching St Kilda into the top 4. His selections are absurd and his game plan is a mess. He's great with the media and helped re-brand the club after we were perceived as a cold, boring club full of irresponsible players but I'm not convinced about his ability to actually coach a footy team.
Let's judge him on that when he gets some cattle. They are certainly having a go unlike Melbourne were.

Saintsational Legend

Thomas at least had the occasional big game when he was still a basket case. Thomas kicked multiple goals 9 times in his second season at age 20. Milera's highest possession count is 23 and most goals is 3, against Melbourne and Gold Coast respectively. He does a few nice things against poor opposition and that's about all the positives you can say about his career to date. Milera is actually older than Thomas as well.

I think Milera is quite consistent. He plays well against state league opposition and poorly against AFL quality opposition.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:As someone else stated, team selections are compromised at the moment because the focus is on development and rebuilding.

Nick also points out the number of Senior players who have missed chunks of games this year who would have/ may have reduced the number of losses with their experience getting us over the line .

Yeah great point Bratty. The impact of players like Gilbo not being available can't be underestimated IMO. Snides not playing has also not been helpful either.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

Yeah great point Bratty. The impact of players like Gilbo not being available can't be underestimated IMO. Snides not playing has also not been helpful either.
Gilbo's loss is enormous and bigger than most of us probably anticipated.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Greg T
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Watters has done nothing to suggest to me that he'll be coaching St Kilda into the top 4. His selections are absurd and his game plan is a mess. He's great with the media and helped re-brand the club after we were perceived as a cold, boring club full of irresponsible players but I'm not convinced about his ability to actually coach a footy team.
Probably agree with some of this, but for me, the problems stem alot higher up.
WE NEEDED to get someone like Malthouse to keep the momentum going over the last few years.
But the admin of this club was quite poor not to see where we needed to be and build on it.
We have never been a very successful club so we don't seem to attract the
very professional people needed to establish a higher profile winning culture.
SW will be a bridge over troubled waters to me.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:WE NEEDED to get someone like Malthouse to keep the momentum going over the last few years.
If our football club had recruited that bastard I would have stopped buying a membership until he left or was sacked.

We dont need a sour old has been.
Greg T wrote:But the admin of this club was quite poor not to see where we needed to be and build on it.
What is this based on?
Greg T wrote:We have never been a very successful club so we don't seem to attract the
So we have never attracted professionals to the club?

Again based on what facts? You are basically saying Watters is not professional, or Pelcan, or any of the assistant coaches.

Lyon and his assistants weren't professional?

What are you basing this spurious statements on?

The fact we aren't winning games with an injury depleted list full of kids?

Goodness me the depth of analysis on here really leaves a lot to be desired.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Probably agree with some of this, but for me, the problems stem alot higher up.
WE NEEDED to get someone like Malthouse to keep the momentum going over the last few years.
But the admin of this club was quite poor not to see where we needed to be and build on it.
We have never been a very successful club so we don't seem to attract the
I tend to think that our win/loss figures over the next few years would be hardly different if it were MM or SW in charge. Actually think SW brings MM intellectual property and management skills for a cheaper pay packet. Actually I also don't think the club gets enough credit for the way it has managed it's football department since the start of the Butters admin. I think our last 2 coaches were very good selections by the club which both contributed to improving the professionalism and success of in that time and so why is it not possible that the Admin have made another good choice for a coach that was a choice made very deliberately in respect to where the club and team is at.

GT was a great choice for the time, RL was a great choice for the time and I reckon SW is a great choice for the time now and I would be surprised if SW was selected without the MM factor not being a significant contributing factor in the decision to choose him. Isn't that a positive for the admin?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

lets not shoot watters just yet.. guy can't be blamed for losses when we're playing kids suffering injuries and our team has no group structure.. shiit i still remember year 1 and 2 when GT took over it was the same old SACK the COACH he's usless... round 10 2004 he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Greg T
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Greg T wrote:WE NEEDED to get someone like Malthouse to keep the momentum going over the last few years.
If our football club had recruited that bastard I would have stopped buying a membership until he left or was sacked.

We dont need a sour old has been.
Greg T wrote:But the admin of this club was quite poor not to see where we needed to be and build on it.
What is this based on?
Greg T wrote:We have never been a very successful club so we don't seem to attract the
So we have never attracted professionals to the club?

Again based on what facts? You are basically saying Watters is not professional, or Pelcan, or any of the assistant coaches.

Lyon and his assistants weren't professional?

What are you basing this spurious statements on?

The fact we aren't winning games with an injury depleted list full of kids?

Goodness me the depth of analysis on here really leaves a lot to be desired.
Were not the only side to have injuries etc.
Glad your happy with the state of affairs at the club.
Its just my opinion,dont care wheteher you like it.
RL is an A grade coach.
Our assistant coaches leave alot be desired.IMO
Glad you think we are a success mate.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Malthouse?

What a con man.

Was brought into Carlton to be a finisher.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Were not the only side to have injuries etc.
When you are undermanned in the backs before R1 and then lose an AA and your CHB for the rest of the season, that doesn't make any difference?
Greg T wrote:Glad your happy with the state of affairs at the club.
Could you please point me to my post where i stated I was happy with the state of affairs? If not please do not make things up
Greg T wrote:Its just my opinion,dont care wheteher you like it.
May have escaped your attention but this is a forum where others can quote your post and agree and disagree if you want to.

You are entitled to your opinion, I am also entitled to ask what fact your opinion is based on.
Greg T wrote:RL is an A grade coach.
But in your words not professional.
Greg T wrote:Our assistant coaches leave alot be desired.IMO
Could you give me your reasons?
Greg T wrote:Glad you think we are a success mate.
Could yopu point me to the post I said this? If not you are once again making things up and posting falsehoods.

Dont get defensive because someone asked you to explain you attack on the club calling everyone they appoint unprofessional. I would have thought you could answer this pretty easily considering you have such a strong and definitive opinion on the professionalism of the club.

A bit sensitive aren't you? Maybe backing up a polemic with facts and not sophistry would be a start.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Malthouse?

What a con man.

Was brought into Carlton to be a finisher.

Lance or James??