AFL comes to Cairns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL comes to Cairns

Dont know what the hootchie is but under your theory I reckon we could move all our home games against interstate clubs, interstate. Then we may as well just move the club. Richmond may have got rid of the debt but Im sure in retrospect they would love this weeks game at the G. And you aaccuse me of bing one eyed. That would be a first. Some on here reckon I dont even follow the saints

And of course your reason for us playing up where you live wouldnt be because your one eyed about how good it would be.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dont know what the hootchie is but under your theory I reckon we could move all our home games against interstate clubs, interstate. Then we may as well just move the club. Richmond may have got rid of the debt but Im sure in retrospect they would love this weeks game at the G. And you aaccuse me of bing one eyed. That would be a first. Some on here reckon I dont even follow the saints

And of course your reason for us playing up where you live wouldnt be because your one eyed about how good it would be.
The word Hootchie is an Australian colloquialism for a type of shelter or roof which is what I call Etihad.

I am sure Richmond supporters would love the game at the G this week too but if you asked them if they'd prefer a financially stable and rich club that can invest heavily in resources that can help it's team play finals and possibly play in a Premiership versus playing an interstate team at a venue that costs the club a lot more to play at than it does generate revenue then I bet I know which box most of them I would tick. Especially if you pick a round that is in the coldest months of winter when a lot of even die-hard football followers miss going to matches in preference for watching the game in the warmth of their lounge room. From the sounds of it you seem to miss a few matches so why would it matter to you personally anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Dont know what the hootchie is but under your theory I reckon we could move all our home games against interstate clubs, interstate. Then we may as well just move the club. Richmond may have got rid of the debt but Im sure in retrospect they would love this weeks game at the G. And you aaccuse me of bing one eyed. That would be a first. Some on here reckon I dont even follow the saints

The word Hootchie is an Australian colloquialism for a type of shelter or roof which is what I call Etihad.

I am sure Richmond supporters would love the game at the G this week too but if you asked them if they'd prefer a financially stable and rich club that can invest heavily in resources that can help it's team play finals and possibly play in a Premiership versus playing an interstate team at a venue that costs the club a lot more to play at than it does generate revenue then I bet I know which box most of them I would tick. Especially if you pick a round that is in the coldest months of winter when a lot of even die-hard football followers miss going to matches in preference for watching the game in the warmth of their lounge room. From the sounds of it you seem to miss a few matches so why would it matter to you personally anyway.

For that reason. It maybe a match I can get to and if its moved I wouldnt be able to. Richmond got out of trouble because they raised something like 5 million from corperates. the money from cairns was a bouus that im sure they would never have signed up for had they known they would raise that money and also get 60k members.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

For that reason. It maybe a match I can get to and if its moved I wouldnt be able to. Richmond got out of trouble because they raised something like 5 million from corperates. the money from cairns was a bouus that im sure they would never have signed up for had they known they would raise that money and also get 60k members.

Yeah ok now I see your logic. It would make a huge difference to the club if "you" and a small number of supporters like you couldn't make it to a match against the GCS in Melbourne in the middle of winter or at the least keep it in Melbourne so you have the option to go. Makes complete sense. Not sure if the Richmond raised 5 million in corporates but I believe they received 500k (needs confirming) for the Cairns contract. Now I'm not as astute as you when it comes to these things but if 500k is around the mark then wouldn't that be better financially than say recording a loss for 3 games during a period where you are rebuilding and the fans aren't so keen on going to matches anyway.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to suggest that if the Saints administration haven't done their due diligence on the prospect of taking up the Cairns contract then they are not working hard enough to look at every commercial opportunity available to them. I'd be very surprised if they haven't at least given it a cursory thought.

Is there anybody on this site that may know if the club has looked into it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Yeah ok now I see your logic. It would make a huge difference to the club if "you" and a small number of supporters like you couldn't make it to a match against the GCS in Melbourne in the middle of winter or at the least keep it in Melbourne so you have the option to go. Makes complete sense. Not sure if the Richmond raised 5 million in corporates but I believe they received 500k (needs confirming) for the Cairns contract. Now I'm not as astute as you when it comes to these things but if 500k is around the mark then wouldn't that be better financially than say recording a loss for 3 games during a period where you are rebuilding and the fans aren't so keen on going to matches anyway.
Cairnsman it isnt my logic. You said it wouldnt matter to you because you miss a few matches. i then said what I said. it had nothing to do with making a difference to the club if we go or not. That is completely different to what you said and i answered. Really you need to read things before you comment. And yes they did get around 500k for those games. And like i said if your logic is over losing money at games then we may as well move all home games against interstate side, interstate because they probably all make little profit.

And if you can guarentee we wont lose members because a third game is interstate or overseas then fine but if we do then it defeats the purpose of moving a game interstate.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Logical Cairnsman

The supporters wanted them to dump Tas when it was financially better for the club

For obvious selfish reason, so they could watch 17 instead of 16 matches melbourne games

And two, because we wanted cheap easy wins in our sterile under the roof cosy environment where we thought we could win.... And not play in tough, cold, blustery conditions.... A message Which served us well, particularly in the 2009 GF... Pity it wasn't played at Etihad. Wonder whatever happened to the 'anytime, anywhere team' GT spouted.... And then said the reason we turned our back.... We didn't like playing there.

Weak as piss

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote: For that reason. It maybe a match I can get to and if its moved I wouldnt be able to. Richmond got out of trouble because they raised something like 5 million from corperates. the money from cairns was a bouus that im sure they would never have signed up for had they known they would raise that money and also get 60k members.

Cairnsman it isnt my logic. You said it wouldnt matter to you because you miss a few matches. i then said what I said. it had nothing to do with making a difference to the club if we go or not. That is completely different to what you said and i answered. Really you need to read things before you comment. And yes they did get around 500k for those games. And like i said if your logic is over losing money at games then we may as well move all home games against interstate side, interstate because they probably all make little profit.

And if you can guarentee we wont lose members because a third game is interstate or overseas then fine but if we do then it defeats the purpose of moving a game interstate.
From what I understand the decision for a club to play a match away from it's home ground isn't necessarily all about increasing membership in actual fact I hope the club isn't banking on any significant revenue from memberships out of Nz anytime soon. I thought the NZ deal was more about accepting a financial reward from the AFL and helping the AFL promote the game to a wider audience. I stand to be corrected though. In any case I would argue that over the next few years the risk of moving a game to Cairns in terms of losing members versus staying financially viable is the better option. The members lost in the next few years are possible the fair weather type anyway and arguably come back to the club as soon as it starts winning again. The fees from those types of members are surely small and unstable margins and certainly worth hedging against other more stable revenue streams over the next 3-5 years IMO. Especially if the money is used in that time towards player development.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Logical Cairnsman

The supporters wanted them to dump Tas when it was financially better for the club

For obvious selfish reason, so they could watch 17 instead of 16 matches melbourne games

And two, because we wanted cheap easy wins in our sterile under the roof cosy environment where we thought we could win.... And not play in tough, cold, blustery conditions.... A message Which served us well, particularly in the 2009 GF... Pity it wasn't played at Etihad. Wonder whatever happened to the 'anytime, anywhere team' GT spouted.... And then said the reason we turned our back.... We didn't like playing there.

Weak as piss

So lets get this straight. Dumping Tassie, where we should never had gone in the first place, cost us a GF 4 years later. Now i have heard it all. Maybe we should have tried to get more games at the G where the GF actually is played. that may have helped us but to be honest i dont think either had an effect.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Logical Cairnsman

Weak as piss
Yeah I actually think the current admin have done reasonably good job considering some of the distractions they have had to contend with in the past few years. The footy first ticket was about redistributing resources into the footy department and to certain extent that has happened. Arguably the recruitment and player development side of things was not addressed as soon as it should have been but none the less there has been a major improvement in that area in the past couple of years too. I actually think it is a bit of a myth that membership revenue makes a club strong. Collingwood and Hawthorn have paved the way in that regard. They have a lot of membership packages that boost their membership numbers but do they really add significantly to the bottom line? I wonder. What they do get is possible some longer term value in that the baby membership packages and the family packages will possible develop into adult memberships in decades to come. That's certain smart long term thinking.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

From what I understand the decision for a club to play a match away from it's home ground isn't necessarily all about increasing membership in actual fact I hope the club isn't banking on any significant revenue from memberships out of Nz anytime soon. I thought the NZ deal was more about accepting a financial reward from the AFL and helping the AFL promote the game to a wider audience. I stand to be corrected though. In any case I would argue that over the next few years the risk of moving a game to Cairns in terms of losing members versus staying financially viable is the better option. The members lost in the next few years are possible the fair weather type anyway and arguably come back to the club as soon as it starts winning again. The fees from those types of members are surely small and unstable margins and certainly worth hedging against other more stable revenue streams over the next 3-5 years IMO. Especially if the money is used in that time towards player development.

Cairnman again you didnt read what I said. of course playing in NZ isnt about getting more members. well it shouldnt be because what we get we will probably lose double in Melbourne and i never said that it was about that. I asked could you guarentee we wouldnt lose more not get more. The fees from members dropping off for whatever reason is close to a million dollars a year. we obviously get new members as well but i would suggest we have lost about 500k a year in memberships in the last 2 years. lets hope most are dropping off because we arent any good and not because we gave to games to NZ. its strange there was a drop off this year though considering our pretty good year last year and yes I know this year has been poor but you tend to get 70% to 80% of your membership before the year even starts. i still say if we are selling games because we dont make money against interstate sides then we may as well sell all those games. That cant be the reason. There needs to be better reasons.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Cairnsman it isnt my logic. You said it wouldnt matter to you because you miss a few matches. i then said what I said. it had nothing to do with making a difference to the club if we go or not. That is completely different to what you said and i answered. Really you need to read things before you comment. And yes they did get around 500k for those games. And like i said if your logic is over losing money at games then we may as well move all home games against interstate side, interstate because they probably all make little profit.

Cairnman again you didnt read what I said. of course playing in NZ isnt about getting more members. well it shouldnt be because what we get we will probably lose double in Melbourne and i never said that it was about that. I asked could you guarentee we wouldnt lose more not get more. The fees from members dropping off for whatever reason is close to a million dollars a year. we obviously get new members as well but i would suggest we have lost about 500k a year in memberships in the last 2 years. lets hope most are dropping off because we arent any good and not because we gave to games to NZ. its strange there was a drop off this year though considering our pretty good year last year and yes I know this year has been poor but you tend to get 70% to 80% of your membership before the year even starts. i still say if we are selling games because we dont make money against interstate sides then we may as well sell all those games. That cant be the reason. There needs to be better reasons.
I did read what you said and as usual you are slipperier than an eel in a bucket of snot.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How many members would drop off if one extra was played interstate?

It's a very smart move to take the game around Australia, because th AFL love it, and when they love you... You reap the benefits. They control and manipulate everything. We were absolutely lauded for the NZ idea.... Great idea (but only play 1 per yar) you'll find if you sell a HG you only get 5 other trips interstate anyway... So one of your away games is in Melbourne (MCG) so it makes little difference except members pa for that game

Not big on Cairns.... Just a personal thing, it's Richmonds initiative and good on them.... We've had Tas taken over by Haw/Nth
Perhaps a game in regional Victoria against Port/Freo/GWS

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How many members would drop off if one extra was played interstate?

It's a very smart move to take the game around Australia, because th AFL love it, and when they love you... You reap the benefits. They control and manipulate everything. We were absolutely lauded for the NZ idea.... Great idea (but only play 1 per yar) you'll find if you sell a HG you only get 5 other trips interstate anyway... So one of your away games is in Melbourne (MCG) so it makes little difference except members pa for that game

Not big on Cairns.... Just a personal thing, it's Richmonds initiative and good on them.... We've had Tas taken over by Haw/Nth
Perhaps a game in regional Victoria against Port/Freo/GWS QE2 oval/Geelong/Bendigo/Albury???

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How many members would drop off if one extra was played interstate?

Perhaps a game in regional Victoria against Port/Freo/GWS QE2 oval/Geelong/Bendigo/Albury???
I reckon you are spot on about working with the AFL. But I reckon playing games in regional Vic would be a bit like preaching to the converted. No doubt it would be hugely successful however there is probably much more to be gained by taking the show to Australian regions outside of the currently established AFL markets.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm at the game and even though the weather is crap there are lot of really happy punters getting around. Looks lke a massive number of tiger suporters have made the trip north. And why wouldn'nt you. For those that have never been to Cairns it is best described as the place where international tourists pay thousands to come visit. It's in our backyard and I reckon the club shold seriously consider playing here. Footy in Paradise.

paulski
Club Player

I'd love the Saints to play a few games up there every year.

With my brother a his Saints mad family living up there, I'd go up a couple of times a year.

Seems like AFL's pretty popular up there!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Hope you had a good time Cairnsman. Was a woeful game to watch on telly, lol