Defenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Defenders

If we are looking for defenders that will come cheap then I think we should look at both Duigan & laidler.

I thought they werent too bad but obviously Mick doesn't rate them.

I believe we will get Mitch Brown but for depth & both are still relatively young I think they will be good gets provided we dont pay over the odds.

Aaron Joseph could be considered as well.

I don't believe these guys will compromise our draft picks too much or our promising bunch of kids, in fact I think they may compliment them, if we looked at this, we arefacing an exodus of senior players next year due to some retirements so bringing in some reasonable players with already hardened bodies & some senior experience is going to be crucial.

Anyway, thats just my thoughts on some list tweaking.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Defenders

Both Laidler and Duogan are undersized.... Like Simpkin, Dempster, Gwilt. And probably not as good.

I am worried about SW declaring his hand for a KPB so much, showing desperation and also not filling the current key backs with any confidence... Privately think it, publicly say nothing. Also shows other clubs our desperate need come trade time, we need to be bullish. If he does anything stupid like give up pick 3 or pay overs... I'll be spewing but not surprised.

You might see a Pelchin special. Give up 3 for say 13 and a key defender.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Both Laidler and Duogan are undersized.... Like Simpkin, Dempster, Gwilt. And probably not as good.

I am worried about SW declaring his hand for a KPB so much, showing desperation and also not filling the current key backs with any confidence... Privately think it, publicly say nothing. Also shows other clubs our desperate need come trade time, we need to be bullish. If he does anything stupid like give up pick 3 or pay overs... I'll be spewing but not surprised.

You might see a Pelchin special. Give up 3 for say 13 and a key defender.

Im pretty sure our defenders know they are short. I reckon the givaway was when Jimmy went to shake Sandilands hand before the game and asked Dempster to give him a bunk up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It is a mystery why those guys aren't playing. Malthouse has seemingly left them out to prove a point but both were decent to very good players under the mole man. Not big enough for us though.

Does anyone rate Kyle Riemers? he has been pre doped so should be big and solid. He would come free as a mature rookie you would think. Some people at the Dons rated him very highly but seems to have shat some of the staff there. He would make a handy extra rotation in the midfield who can go forward and kick goals. He kicked 8 goals once I seem to remember.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Does anyone rate Kyle Riemers? he has been pre doped so should be big and solid. He would come free as a mature rookie you would think. Some people at the Dons rated him very highly but seems to have shat some of the staff there. He would make a handy extra rotation in the midfield who can go forward and kick goals. He kicked 8 goals once I seem to remember.
When would Dopey be allowed to play for us? 2018?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:It is a mystery why those guys aren't playing. Malthouse has seemingly left them out to prove a point but both were decent to very good players under the mole man. Not big enough for us though.

Does anyone rate Kyle Riemers? he has been pre doped so should be big and solid. He would come free as a mature rookie you would think. Some people at the Dons rated him very highly but seems to have shat some of the staff there. He would make a handy extra rotation in the midfield who can go forward and kick goals. He kicked 8 goals once I seem to remember.

You really need to stop rating players that would improve exactly no positions on the ladder.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:It is a mystery why those guys aren't playing. Malthouse has seemingly left them out to prove a point but both were decent to very good players under the mole man. Not big enough for us though.

You really need to stop rating players that would improve exactly no positions on the ladder.

I said the Carlton guys were good players not for us though.

Riemers was a very good player in the games he played that I saw. He was a rising star nominee and won the Essendon rising star internal award. Kicked bags of 8 and 6 goals and was quick and skilful- why wouldn't he improve us. He is still only about 22. I don't know why they didn't like him but maybe he has been given a kick up the bum by being dumped. He was played forward but he had the pace and athleticism to play as a mid IMO.

Why do you not rate anyone that isn't taken in the top 10 of the draft? You obviously don't rate Sydney's list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Riemers was a very good player in the games he played that I saw. He was a rising star nominee and won the Essendon rising star internal award. Kicked bags of 8 and 6 goals and was quick and skilful- why wouldn't he improve us. He is still only about 22. I don't know why they didn't like him but maybe he has been given a kick up the bum by being dumped. He was played forward but he had the pace and athleticism to play as a mid IMO.

Why do you not rate anyone that isn't taken in the top 10 of the draft? You obviously don't rate Sydney's list.

More the point why do you lie to build up an argument. Just show me one post were i said they must be taken in the top 10 to be any good. Just for your information I have said that top 10 picks give you more chance of getting a good player. Stats show that is pretty obvious. That isnt the same as saying you dont rate anyone from outside the top 10. I can honetly say from just about the first moment I saw Steven I thought he would be a player and he was in the 40's. And i have got many wrong as well but please dont lie just to build your case. It is becoming of you. Reimers is 25 next season. Not to old but can you tell me who he is replacing as well as about the other 50 you will mention over the next 4 months?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

More the point why do you lie to build up an argument. Just show me one post were i said they must be taken in the top 10 to be any good. Just for your information I have said that top 10 picks give you more chance of getting a good player. Stats show that is pretty obvious. That isnt the same as saying you dont rate anyone from outside the top 10. I can honetly say from just about the first moment I saw Steven I thought he would be a player and he was in the 40's. And i have got many wrong as well but please dont lie just to build your case. It is becoming of you. Reimers is 25 next season. Not to old but can you tell me who he is replacing as well as about the other 50 you will mention over the next 4 months?[/quote]

You have crapped on lots of times about how we shouldn't recruit anyone from the VFL or state comps and also always claim other clubs rejects are always crap- you are the liar. I at least have an opinion on real players not abstract ideas with no basis. Riemers should get another go IMO as he will improve a side with little investment in development. If he kept someone like Farren Ray out of the side bad luck. Scharenberg is still my choice from last year and if we get him I will be very happy. I like trying to come up with solutions to improve not just lets get a high draft pick and use it and keep spuds because they are in the right age bracket.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

More the point why do you lie to build up an argument. Just show me one post were i said they must be taken in the top 10 to be any good. Just for your information I have said that top 10 picks give you more chance of getting a good player. Stats show that is pretty obvious. That isnt the same as saying you dont rate anyone from outside the top 10. I can honetly say from just about the first moment I saw Steven I thought he would be a player and he was in the 40's. And i have got many wrong as well but please dont lie just to build your case. It is becoming of you. Reimers is 25 next season. Not to old but can you tell me who he is replacing as well as about the other 50 you will mention over the next 4 months?

You have crapped on lots of times about how we shouldn't recruit anyone from the VFL or state comps and also always claim other clubs rejects are always crap- you are the liar. I at least have an opinion on real players not abstract ideas with no basis. Riemers should get another go IMO as he will improve a side with little investment in development. If he kept someone like Farren Ray out of the side bad luck. Scharenberg is still my choice from last year and if we get him I will be very happy. I like trying to come up with solutions to improve not just lets get a high draft pick and use it and keep spuds because they are in the right age bracket.[/quote]

How have I lied? And when have I said we shouldnt recruit someone from the VFL. Again show me the post. Just because you say you shouldnt recruit a certain player from the VFL doesnt mean you shouldnt get someone else. matter of fact i said there are 2 very good players I have seen in the AFL this year that could make AFL and that was Chris Cain and Tim Allen so there goes that theory. And who was the idiot who wants to keep spuds because they are in the right age bracket. the guy must know nothing about footy. Now you want reimers and Im sure a few others. Can you tell me the players we should delist at the end of the year to get these guys?

I will give you an idea of mine even though it is a bit unfair as there are still 8 games left.

Retire
Kosi
Blake
Milne that could change

Delist
ledger
Milera or TDL. Not sure of contract
Dunnel Maybe
Maister maybe
Lever maybe

Rookies
Ferg Sadly
Curran We havent seen him
Shenton

So allowing for maybe's I would hope we have around 5 picks for the draft. I havent done trades because they are even harder than delisting and I doubt any of us have got to many trade right on here over the years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

2 more middle sized defenders?

Only if you are prepared to say goodbye to seany d and fisher.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the guys gone are Kosi and Blake obviously and then guys in the gun after that would be Ferg, Ledger, Lever, Shenton and Simpkin and then maybe pressure on Milne and Schnides to hang up the boots and maybe Farren off loaded. Lenny might go too if his hearts not in it.

TDL and Milera will probably get more time as will Curren I would think and Dunnel is probably going to get another year IMO. Hard to call it though. Have we got a full list this year or are we playing less than allowed?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think the guys gone are Kosi and Blake obviously and then guys in the gun after that would be Ferg, Ledger, Lever, Shenton and Simpkin and then maybe pressure on Milne and Schnides to hang up the boots and maybe Farren off loaded. Lenny might go too if his hearts not in it.

TDL and Milera will probably get more time as will Curren I would think and Dunnel is probably going to get another year IMO. Hard to call it though. Have we got a full list this year or are we playing less than allowed?

Full list. The reason I think Curran has to go is he has been at the club 3 years and there has been plenty of opportunity to promote him but they havent. 3 years as a mid is enough time to see if the club think he is good enough or not. I suppose he has 7 weeks to prove he is good enough. I certainly dont want a guy they thought wasnt good enough previously to suddenly get upgraded to the main list.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ill be very unhappy if Simpkin is de-listed.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ill be very unhappy if Simpkin is de-listed.
So will he :(

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is unfortunately 20cm short for a key back. He needs a reinvention as a forward IMO. He is miles behind all of Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt and now Roberton and if we get a key back that is one less spot there.

Hard to see who would obviously go out of our list ATM that's a pretty rare phenomenon at the Saints. Minchington looks good, Staley looks promising and hard to boot out. Shenton has been pretty good, Curren very good. Leaves very few options. Ledger just because he can't get a game and Blake and Kosi are already as good as gone otherwise who goes?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: He is unfortunately 20cm short for a key back.
Do they need to be 211cm? :shock:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

should be 10 cm- damn unco fingers :) . Even then probably an exaggeration I didn't look how tall he was just an instinctive guess at how short he looks. Still say his shoulder to shoulder with farren but has a long neck and big head.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Dr Spaceman wrote:

What led you to believe Gringo was talking about Simpkin's height, Doc? :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

He is unfortunately 20cm short for a key back. He needs a reinvention as a forward IMO. He is miles behind all of Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt and now Roberton and if we get a key back that is one less spot there.

Hard to see who would obviously go out of our list ATM that's a pretty rare phenomenon at the Saints. Minchington looks good, Staley looks promising and hard to boot out. Shenton has been pretty good, Curren very good. Leaves very few options. Ledger just because he can't get a game and Blake and Kosi are already as good as gone otherwise who goes?

Unsure how he is 20cm to short. Also again i reckon you are overating our rookies. Curran hasnt played in 3 years, Shenton is an average footballer as is Staley. Minchington looks pretty good but hasnt done alot and then there is the main list. if you really wanted to cut it Simpkin could go, Lever could go, Jimmy could go, all the smalls could go as well as ledger and then the retired guys. that would be cutting it to much but most of those guys are strggling or an over supply in thir postions. i would suggest our list isnt great at the moment.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Unsure how he is 20cm to short. Also again i reckon you are overating our rookies. Curran hasnt played in 3 years, Shenton is an average footballer as is Staley. Minchington looks pretty good but hasnt done alot and then there is the main list. if you really wanted to cut it Simpkin could go, Lever could go, Jimmy could go, all the smalls could go as well as ledger and then the retired guys. that would be cutting it to much but most of those guys are strggling or an over supply in thir postions. i would suggest our list isnt great at the moment.

It was a typo dude- Shenton looked good late last year when he went back- I haven't seen any Sandy games but the televised one this year so not sure how he's travelling but was looking a good. Curren I'm with you on if he can't get elevated by years end it's probably all over for him. If you read above you would see I mentioned a lot of the guys you did for delisting. minchington looks good just can't get his body right - didn't help Andreoli though. Staley is worth another year as he has shown more than Lever at this stage.

Jimmy Gwilt is a good player should keep his spot.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Im pretty sure our defenders know they are short. I reckon the givaway was when Jimmy went to shake Sandilands hand before the game and asked Dempster to give him a bunk up.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We have enough medium and small defenders in the right age bracket - Gwilt, Newnes, Roberton, Wright, and Gilbert.

We need key defenders, and that means a 195cm player at the least.

No point trading for an area of the ground where you already have a surplus.

We have 3 ruckmen on the list under the age of 27

We have 3 tall forwards in that category (Lee, White, and Stanley)

We have zero key defenders

We have 4 midfielders in Steven, Ross, Saunders, Armitage

So, the wash up is that we need 3 midfielders and 2 key defenders, probably a third as a back up.

That's where our recruitng and trading needs to be focused. It's fairly obvious. I don't know why we'd be focussing on any ther positions at this point.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of defenders. Michael johnson is an absolute gun player.

Johnson McPharlin and Dawson are all good.
They have 3 tall defenders and we have none.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Speaking of defenders. Michael johnson is an absolute gun player.

Johnson McPharlin and Dawson are all good.
They have 3 tall defenders and we have none.

They gave the number 1 pick up for Mc Pharlin and Croad. They are hard to come by.