Dermott Brereton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermott Brereton

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I think the other positive that is surfacing in SWs coaching is that the players and in particular the younger players look like they are playing for the coach. I think some credit has to go to SW with regards to the hardness at the contest that the new guys are willing to show as soon as they are given a game.

Why wasnt that written last week. footy is such a week to week thing. Im unsure genalisations like that can have factual basis behind it especially after only 3 wins for the year.
I'm pretty sure I've been writing similar things about SW all season and thanks Captain obvious for your astute observation on the week to week thing...you love rolling that one out at the moment. Everyone knows you aren't SWs biggest fan because he confuses you with his team selections and match day decisions but I'm choosing to focus on his good things for the time being.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I think the other positive that is surfacing in SWs coaching is that the players and in particular the younger players look like they are playing for the coach. I think some credit has to go to SW with regards to the hardness at the contest that the new guys are willing to show as soon as they are given a game.

Why wasnt that written last week. footy is such a week to week thing. Im unsure genalisations like that can have factual basis behind it especially after only 3 wins for the year.
I'm pretty sure I've been writing similar things about SW all season and thanks Captain obvious for your astute observation on the week to week thing...you love rolling that one out at the moment. Everyone knows you aren't SWs biggest fan because he confuses you with his team selections and match day decisions but I'm choosing to focus on his good things for the time being.

I must have missed it last week when you wrote that. And yes i love rolling out the week to week thing. CJ and Milera have been delisted and won brownlows in the last 4 weeks.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I must have missed it last week when you wrote that. And yes i love rolling out the week to week thing. CJ and Milera have been delisted and won brownlows in the last 4 weeks.
You didn't miss it last week, I've been a bit fortnight to fortnight lately. Why is it exactly that don't you rate SW? Is it only the team selections and match day decisions?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

You didn't miss it last week, I've been a bit fortnight to fortnight lately. Why is it exactly that don't you rate SW? Is it only the team selections and match day decisions?

I just want to see one post where i said i dont rate SW. Pretty sure i must have said 10 times its to early to tell. I said a negative has been the 2 things you mentioned. Im sure you can understand a person can have a negative and still be unsure if you rate him or not. i really rate Jack steven but a negative has been his decision making. see its not to hard to understand. I will give you my opinion at about this time next year and that should be the time the saints look to rehire him or fire him.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I just want to see one post where i said i dont rate SW. Pretty sure i must have said 10 times its to early to tell. I said a negative has been the 2 things you mentioned. Im sure you can understand a person can have a negative and still be unsure if you rate him or not. i really rate Jack steven but a negative has been his decision making. see its not to hard to understand. I will give you my opinion at about this time next year and that should be the time the saints look to rehire him or fire him.
So what score out of 10 would you be giving him at this stage of his contract? And do you think the two things you mark him down on are just things you mostly have an issue with or would say others with actual AFL expertise are also critical of the same two areas of his coaching? (don't know if that sounds right but I think you'll know what I'm asking)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

So what score out of 10 would you be giving him at this stage of his contract? And do you think the two things you mark him down on are just things you mostly have an issue with or would say others with actual AFL expertise are also critical of the same two areas of his coaching? (don't know if that sounds right but I think you'll know what I'm asking)

At this stage of his contract i would give him about a 5. And I havent heard to many have a go at the 2 things I think he has struggled with apart from Robert Shaw when we went from 3 smalls to 4 smalls then back to 2 smalls. I havent heard much about his match day coaching either positive or negative. I hope he becomes the best coach we have ever had but its going to take a huge commitment from the club because even if he gets another 2 years after next year i still see us being bottom 4 at that stage.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

5 is marking him down a fair bit and I'm not sure how you come up with such a low mark if you only have two issues. So are you basing it purely on win/loss and do you think that his selections and match day decisions are the main reason for losing matches? You mention those things as a "struggle" but that is an assumption on your part and they aren't necessarily things he has actually "struggled" with or has even been seen as a mistake or learning by the club. I reckon most experts would be marking him around the 7 or 8.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:5 is marking him down a fair bit and I'm not sure how you come up with such a low mark if you only have two issues. So are you basing it purely on win/loss and do you think that his selections and match day decisions are the main reason for losing matches? You mention those things as a "struggle" but that is an assumption on your part and they aren't necessarily things he has actually "struggled" with or has even been seen as a mistake or learning by the club. I reckon most experts would be marking him around the 7 or 8.

Well go ask the experts then. You asked me and I gave him a pass mark. A low pass mark but a pass mark. Apart from playing young guys can you tell me what he has shown to supporters.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:5 is marking him down a fair bit and I'm not sure how you come up with such a low mark if you only have two issues. So are you basing it purely on win/loss and do you think that his selections and match day decisions are the main reason for losing matches? You mention those things as a "struggle" but that is an assumption on your part and they aren't necessarily things he has actually "struggled" with or has even been seen as a mistake or learning by the club. I reckon most experts would be marking him around the 7 or 8.

Well go ask the experts then. You asked me and I gave him a pass mark. A low pass mark but a pass mark. Apart from playing young guys can you tell me what he has shown to supporters.
So you reckon the only thing he's done is play some young guys. Is that what you are giving 5 marks for? Dermott Brereton reckons his game plan is one of the few to to take it up to an RL game plan, a game plan that has been well trained by a coach that is regarded as one of the best in the league. So not only does it appear he is a good developer of players, and has also helped a few of the established players improve but it would appear that he's got a game plan that can match it with the best. He's getting better IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So you reckon the only thing he's done is play some young guys. Is that what you are giving 5 marks for? Dermott Brereton reckons his game plan is one of the few to to take it up to an RL game plan, a game plan that has been well trained by a coach that is regarded as one of the best in the league. So not only does it appear he is a good developer of players, and has also helped a few of the established players improve but it would appear that he's got a game plan that can match it with the best. He's getting better IMO.
Thats good that Dermott said that. I asked what you think he has done that we can see. And forget dermott, he is a mate. he isnt going to bag him. Yep we played very well last week but we were disgraceful the week before. And how do you know he seems a good developer of players? For a start i doubt he would have much to do with their development. well he shouldnt. We have plenty of others to do that.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Well go ask the experts then. You asked me and I gave him a pass mark. A low pass mark but a pass mark. Apart from playing young guys can you tell me what he has shown to supporters.
Thats good that Dermott said that. I asked what you think he has done that we can see. And forget dermott, he is a mate. he isnt going to bag him. Yep we played very well last week but we were disgraceful the week before. And how do you know he seems a good developer of players? For a start i doubt he would have much to do with their development. well he shouldnt. We have plenty of others to do that.
I also think he's turning out to be a great man manager and also is willing to learn and adjust, like a new coach should. The decision to rest Roo and Kosi was good one for different reasons. Smart coaching IMO. He also has handled player issues well IMO in particular he seems to have player buy-in now to the rebuild. Roo seems to enjoy playing under him and Monty is having his best season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
I also think he's turning out to be a great man manager and also is willing to learn and adjust, like a new coach should. The decision to rest Roo and Kosi was good one for different reasons. Smart coaching IMO. He also has handled player issues well IMO in particular he seems to have player buy-in now to the rebuild. Roo seems to enjoy playing under him and Monty is having his best season.

Well lets at least tell the truth. Joey isnt having his best season. He is having a very good year. Would be top 3 in the B&F. Maybe third at the moment IMO. Rooy is having a great year. Again top 3 in the B&F. Dal is having his worst year in around 10 years. Certainly not blaming the coach but I aint giving him points for Rooy or Joey either. They are all experienced players and have done just as well under 3 coaches. I have no idea why resting Rooy and kosi was smart. Kosi would have been dropped anyway. i dont see anything good or bad in that decision. No idea if he is a great man manager or willing to learn and adjust. Arent close enough to the club to see evidence either way.

Like I said hope he is the right coach because we need a good coach over the next 2 or 3 years otherwise we could go backwards like Melbourne did.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Well lets at least tell the truth. Joey isnt having his best season. He is having a very good year. Would be top 3 in the B&F. Maybe third at the moment IMO. Rooy is having a great year. Again top 3 in the B&F. Dal is having his worst year in around 10 years. Certainly not blaming the coach but I aint giving him points for Rooy or Joey either. They are all experienced players and have done just as well under 3 coaches. I have no idea why resting Rooy and kosi was smart. Kosi would have been dropped anyway. i dont see anything good or bad in that decision. No idea if he is a great man manager or willing to learn and adjust. Arent close enough to the club to see evidence either way.

Like I said hope he is the right coach because we need a good coach over the next 2 or 3 years otherwise we could go backwards like Melbourne did.
So you reckon coaches make a difference but not with certain players like Rooy or Joey. Is it possible that they did well under 3 coaches is because all three were/are really good coaches?

Hoges
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Can I ask about the gameplan.

Simplistically (as is most of my football analysis) seems that Watters wants us to use our pace and skills to score fast goals of the rebound, or if the opposition has a zone structure set up to switch the play.

If the rebound football is based on turnover, am I correct in believing that with the kids bodies maturing and causing more turnover with pressure that the gameplan will start to take shape over the course of the next season or two?

A bit like the Malthouse gameplan for Collingwood. Lambasted by most supporters for three or four years until it came all together in 2010 when they were virtually unbeatable and 2011 when McGuire wrecked the season with his personality clash with Malthouse.

Am I on the right track? last Sunday it seemed the in close style Lyon likes to play suited what Watters is trying to implement and we saw the results and the plan even with a bunch of kids implementing it.

Or as usual am I way off beam?
i agree - is the first half against Freo ' the game plan' - is this the strategy/objective behind the entire rebuilding process ?? - if it is, it provides some direction on a whole range of fronts. I did not hear what Dermott had to say - i would really like to understand what the game plan / long term perspective of what style of game we are aiming to play, if anyone has a handle on it.