Lee & Hickey-SIZE?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lee & Hickey-SIZE?

How did Tom Lee grown at 22yo?

Does he have a pituitary gland problem?

His growth plates are well and truly fused.....

With the amount of aerobic work players do in the pre season.... Weight gain is not that simple... It's a balancing act.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I beg to differ BM. The only difficult aspect of gaining size is being disciplined. If you do more aerobic fitness like pro athletes then you require more calories and nutrients. Basically eat more ensuring you are hitting your macro nutrient requirements increasing them as needed. If you have your head around dieting and training then it's quite simple. There are formulas around it which any nutritionist and strength and conditioning coach would have tailored to players needs and goals. I don't work in the industry but its a big passion in my personal life and I could easily tailor a program to suit anyone's needs whether it be gaining/losing weight increase strength/cardio fitness.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

men stop growing around 25 not 22

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
jimmy_slats
Club Player

plus we are talking about size not height

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:It is true players are at their biggest after the pre season when a lot of weight training has been done over the off season however that doesn't mean player specific diets (eating in a caloric surplus) and weight training is not continued for those who require addition strength / size. Lee has spent the year with a dodgy foot so fair chance he's spent more time under the iron while having a limited running program. He definitely looks bigger than when I saw him in the NAB Cup.

The problem with that comment is my experience suggests players really struggle to eat as much as they should during the season due to be so tired. That is why most young players lose weight. i dont know of many if any who can put on weight unless injured.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:It is true players are at their biggest after the pre season when a lot of weight training has been done over the off season however that doesn't mean player specific diets (eating in a caloric surplus) and weight training is not continued for those who require addition strength / size. Lee has spent the year with a dodgy foot so fair chance he's spent more time under the iron while having a limited running program. He definitely looks bigger than when I saw him in the NAB Cup.

The problem with that comment is my experience suggests players really struggle to eat as much as they should during the season due to be so tired. That is why most young players lose weight. i dont know of many if any who can put on weight unless injured.
My comment after the one you quoted addresses the issue you raise. Not eating enough (whether tired or any other excuse) is no different to not losing weight (if that's your goal). It comes down to simple discipline. You would know that weight is monitored by the club and if they are not maintaining their target weight (and other KPI's such as skin folds) they'd get a please explain. There is a reason why the players are chowing down large pizzas post game. They are depleted of nutrients (fats included) and need to get in as many calories as possible.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

My comment after the one you quoted addresses the issue you raise. Not eating enough (whether tired or any other excuse) is no different to not losing weight (if that's your goal). It comes down to simple discipline. You would know that weight is monitored by the club and if they are not maintaining their target weight (and other KPI's such as skin folds) they'd get a please explain. There is a reason why the players are chowing down large pizzas post game. They are depleted of nutrients (fats included) and need to get in as many calories as possible.

Yes I know that but im doubting many if any put on bulk during a season due to tiredness and lack of eating plus the amount of training they do and also the less weights they do during the year. One guy I know just couldnt eat hardly at all at night and was allowed as much ice cream as he possible could because that is all he could eat. hardly healthy but that is the best he could do.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

You've also got to remember plugger that because players do a higher percentage of strength work through the off season compared to during season they will naturally look more ripped. That doesn't necessarily mean they weigh more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:You've also got to remember plugger that because players do a higher percentage of strength work through the off season compared to during season they will naturally look more ripped. That doesn't necessarily mean they weigh more.

But we were talking about Lee and Hickey looking bigger in the last 4 weeks. Sorry but i dont think that can happen. As you said they probably will look bigger in the off season because they are doing a higher percentage of strength work.

paddy
Club Player

i was talking about height, and while most people certainly stop or significantly slow down their growing after 21, some continue till quite later...

A friend of mine grew 1.5cm from 24-26...

anyway, he may not have grown a mm, but i was just saying he looked very similar in height to Rhys when they were walking and talking together, but they may be using one of those olympic rowing cameras where you think a team has won by 3 lengths only for them to be placed 4th...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:You've also got to remember plugger that because players do a higher percentage of strength work through the off season compared to during season they will naturally look more ripped. That doesn't necessarily mean they weigh more.

But we were talking about Lee and Hickey looking bigger in the last 4 weeks. Sorry but i dont think that can happen. As you said they probably will look bigger in the off season because they are doing a higher percentage of strength work.
Horses for courses plugger. Not all the same. Like I said earlier players are on specific programs. Lee for example may be on similar strength program that he was in the off season. Sippos more of a running program to increase endurance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Horses for courses plugger. Not all the same. Like I said earlier players are on specific programs. Lee for example may be on similar strength program that he was in the off season. Sippos more of a running program to increase endurance.

Of course they are on different programs but i would guess none are doing more weights now than in the off season unless they are injured. I have never heard of a playing getting bigger in 4 to 6 weeks during the season. Plenty of young players put on weight from October through to early Feb and then most lose some in the next 7 months. I know none that have got bigger mid year.

paddy
Club Player

i've put on about 4 kilos now that it is winter....

but pretty sure that is from lack of training....

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Strength is gained under the iron and size is gained at the dinner table. Just because you are hitting the weights more in the off season does not necessarily mean you are putting on more kegs. The majority of athletes maintain their weight year round unless they have specific goals. Eg young kids putting on weight, fat Lovett needs to lose weight etc. Someone disciplined like Roo has likely been the same weight for 5 years give or take + / - 2 kgs. I expect with someone like Lee who Watters has publicly said he is not physically ready and won't be for 18 months would be on a program to put weight on and that doesn't stop during season. That's year round. There is merit that he has put on size since the beginning of the year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Strength is gained under the iron and size is gained at the dinner table. Just because you are hitting the weights more in the off season does not necessarily mean you are putting on more kegs. The majority of athletes maintain their weight year round unless they have specific goals. Eg young kids putting on weight, fat Lovett needs to lose weight etc. Someone disciplined like Roo has likely been the same weight for 5 years give or take + / - 2 kgs. I expect with someone like Lee who Watters has publicly said he is not physically ready and won't be for 18 months would be on a program to put weight on and that doesn't stop during season. That's year round. There is merit that he has put on size since the beginning of the year.

Even though i know few players who were also trying to put on weight during the year but never could? And a few of those were disciplined and a few werent. None could put on weight though. All did in pre season. Or size as you call it.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

I think you will find what old mate is trying to say is that. These players would most likely be in a modified program with less cardio and more weights than the already established players

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Siposstar#2 that is most definitely what I am saying. That and the fact some players do put on weight during the season. plugger66 totally dismisses that thought which I find quite strange for someone who has been around / billeted AFL players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Siposstar#2 that is most definitely what I am saying. That and the fact some players do put on weight during the season. plugger66 totally dismisses that thought which I find quite strange for someone who has been around / billeted AFL players.

I have never billeted any player but i have known a few and that is why i said what I said. I cant see how its strange when I have first hand experience unless of course you have as well. I have never see a young player put on weight or size during a season. If you have then fine. it means we have different experiences but mine is based on fact.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

No probs plugger I'll leave it at that. I reckon we're are going around in circles. Good discussion tho.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I have never heard of anyone to grown after 22, unless they have a HGH condition....

What is this fascination with size...... Most players in the AFL have purposely lost weight in the last 3 years to improve running capacity to deal with the full ground press

PurpleHayes
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
maverick wrote:Funny, one week to the next Lee is a superstar or a dud?
Which is it?

IMO he will play 150 games and be very serviceable, exactly what we need in our development phase.
Neither a star nor a dud, but worth the pick swap we did.
I tend to agree. A bit of a Meister - but hopefully slightly better. I cannot see Lee being a star, but if he plays 100 to 150 games that'd be a fair result.
How can anyone condidently rule out Lee being a star after 3 AFL games?

Who was the last St Kilda player who kicked 3 goals in their 3rd game?

I'd say he is developing well and ahead of schedule.

Did Kozi turn out to be a star after winning the rising star? How about Rhys Palmer?

Sometimes we've just gotta let them develop and see where they end up. Especially key position players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I have never heard of anyone to grown after 22, unless they have a HGH condition....

What is this fascination with size...... Most players in the AFL have purposely lost weight in the last 3 years to improve running capacity to deal with the full ground press
There is also your core body strength...which does not so so much as bulk. The North Superman MD had low core body strength despite all his muscles. Lee will be building up his core.

Lee has talent. He can read the play and is a "footballer". He just needs to get stronger, gain experience and gain confidence. Could be average to excellent....and no way of knowing yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kimberly saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Siposstar#2 that is most definitely what I am saying. That and the fact some players do put on weight during the season. plugger66 totally dismisses that thought which I find quite strange for someone who has been around / billeted AFL players.

I have never billeted any player but i have known a few and that is why i said what I said. I cant see how its strange when I have first hand experience unless of course you have as well. I have never see a young player put on weight or size during a season. If you have then fine. it means we have different experiences but mine is based on fact.
wat makes you think they have not cut his cardio running work down to nothing ?? so he can lift and put weight on in middle season. It would advance him 6 months for next year

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rhys Palmer and Kosi (esp. Kos) had significant injuries immediately following winning the Rising Star

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If you saw Lee last year he looked pencil thin with tiny arms , just putting a weights training program in place for him and feeding him up would have changed his physique. He was a WAFL footy player who probably did one night training per week and games then late last year he was drafted into the club where he would be training at least 5 days a week and be on a program for eating.

He would not have had time to substantially bulk during the off season but he would still be putting on muscle mass as he changes his physique. He is noticeably carrying a Milney pot ATM too. Someone said a few weeks ago he looked puffed up- maybe they are getting him to drink a litre of protein shakes and a tub of ice cream a day on top of his meal plan.

Hard to compare the VFL or Ammos to the training the AFL team gets.