Hickey & Lee...Inspired Selections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey & Lee...Inspired Selections

savatage wrote:He was given space, wasn't dragged on and off the ground and got selected by teammates instead of blazing to roo as per usual.
Spot on. I had a feeling that our forward line would function better without the predictable options. It is not such a smart thing to always kick it to Roo. Not a good 'habit' any longer.

If Roo demands the footy so much and if the guys are looking for 'Roo' instead of looking for the 'best forward line player', then this tactic is a liability to the team and it is selfish football - not team football.

It is the predictable thing to do and it's so predictable we have been turning it over, and other teams usually rebound and it ends up as an inside 50 for our opponents. That might also show that our crumbing forwards are not working hard enough and we usually lose the contest once the ball goes to ground in our forward half.

I thought Lee worked hard to defend and create pressure and certainly was refreshing watching him as a marking forward. If he can give us that sort effort consistently, he has a future. Maybe pinch tests might be a tad high - looks like he needs to work on fitness. Hickey also needs more games and I think he too has a future. Think he can be our number 1 ruckman.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Time for Roo to the wing

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Kiedis wrote:
Greg T wrote:Lee looks good, but hickey was woeful.
Our ruck got smashed again.
Stanley is out of form ,looks lost at times.
The thing is.. has Stanley ever been IN form?

I think a game or two back he looked likely up forward for a patch.. & that's the best I can remember from the guy.

God, the thing that sticks most in my head when I think of Stanley is some of the 'pug love' rubbish he's been pushing.

Big softy?
I always thought he would develop to be be a real gun, as I think he has the potential.
He certainly has gone backwards over the past 12 months or so, but he's not alone there.
I thought his first year was really good, coaching? Shame...!
Are we talking about the same Stanley. The Stanley that has probably played his best season since being drafted and also his best season because of the fact that he's been able to string more games together than he ever has and the fact that he has had to learn a key back position and impressed at how well he's been able to adapt to that new position and with the exception of a little bit of inconsistency in recent weeks which is probably because he's had to play forward has been a big plus for team and is going to be a huge cog in the team in the future. Big guys with his talent and football smarts don't grow on trees and if he plays out the rest of the season injury free and has a good pre season then I think he will explode in 2014. The guy is going to be a very handy player for us. He's a gun you just need to hang in there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Greg T wrote:
Kiedis wrote: The thing is.. has Stanley ever been IN form?

I think a game or two back he looked likely up forward for a patch.. & that's the best I can remember from the guy.

God, the thing that sticks most in my head when I think of Stanley is some of the 'pug love' rubbish he's been pushing.

Big softy?
I always thought he would develop to be be a real gun, as I think he has the potential.
He certainly has gone backwards over the past 12 months or so, but he's not alone there.
I thought his first year was really good, coaching? Shame...!
Are we talking about the same Stanley. The Stanley that has probably played his best season since being drafted and also his best season because of the fact that he's been able to string more games together than he ever has and the fact that he has had to learn a key back position and impressed at how well he's been able to adapt to that new position and with the exception of a little bit of inconsistency in recent weeks which is probably because he's had to play forward has been a big plus for team and is going to be a huge cog in the team in the future. Big guys with his talent and football smarts don't grow on trees and if he plays out the rest of the season injury free and has a good pre season then I think he will explode in 2014. The guy is going to be a very handy player for us. He's a gun you just need to hang in there.

All pure speculation at the moment. terible today andaverage for most of the year. Luckily he is tall so he has one year left to show something.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Cairnsman, use full stops, commas etc and do paragraphs too.
Hard to read your posts.
What did u learn at school?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I have a strong feeling that things will just click one day with Stanley and he will be a gun.
Like most players he probably needs 50+ games for this to be the case.
It won't happen overnight but it will hapen.

busso mick
Club Player

Kiedis wrote:
Greg T wrote:Lee looks good, but hickey was woeful.
Our ruck got smashed again.
Stanley is out of form ,looks lost at times.
The thing is.. has Stanley ever been IN form?

Big softy?
My observation of Stanley today is that he was lazy did not look remotely interested. Subi oval is tailor made for people who like to run and make position, which should suit someone like him. Admittedly Freo had +1 back, but he showed no initiative all day and really did nothing, not even team related things like chasing and manning up. Very disappointing on a day when a lot of our youngen's showed they could play the game. Stanley should not get picked next week on that effort.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hello game number 200 for the Kos

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lee.... Not inspired at all... A bit of a gamble out of necessity, he looks a fair player..

Hickey.... For the life of me, cannot understand that selection, bordering on stupid.

Why trade a FRP for a back up Ruckman.... He cannot play fwd, and again today showed why... 1 possession inside 50

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lee.... Not inspired at all... A bit of a gamble out of necessity, he looks a fair player..

Hickey.... For the life of me, cannot understand that selection, bordering on stupid.

Why trade a FRP for a back up Ruckman.... He cannot play fwd, and again today showed why... 1 possession inside 50
Lee, relished the space at Subi, but we play more often than not at Etihad.

Hickey may of been quiet stat wise, but I liked his game today, not sure how to articulate why though. I just thought he had presence. Agree I don't think he has KPF in him, and won't, but in terms of showing something...I saw a bit of a spark in him today.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lee.... Not inspired at all... A bit of a gamble out of necessity, he looks a fair player..

He is a ruck forward. At least give him a go and he did pretty well today. i cant for the life of me know how you could teach any kid but there is no rule on teachers being smarter than students. Well I dont think there must be.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He is a ruck forward. At least give him a go and he did pretty well today. i cant for the life of me know how you could teach any kid but there is no rule on teachers being smarter than students. Well I dont think there must be.
I'm sure some teachers are smarter than their students if they are no good at teaching

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Lee, relished the space at Subi, but we play more often than not at Etihad.
He hasn't even played in Victoria yet, let's give him a few games before we decide that he doesn't suit our home ground.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:Time for Roo to the wing
Agree 100%. We looked much more unpredictable when going forward without Riewoldt in the forward line.

He could be like Richo in his last few years and be really damaging taking big marks down back, on the wings and running forward.

busso mick
Club Player

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:Lee, relished the space at Subi, but we play more often than not at Etihad.
He hasn't even played in Victoria yet, let's give him a few games before we decide that he doesn't suit our home ground.
Exactly dragit, Lee can play and is a clever forward. He does get tossed around in a contest, but with a full pre-season next year he should add a bit of bulk to his bones.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bring Riewoldt in and Stanley goes back to CHB. We need the height. I know he hasn't been fabulous that past few weeks, but he's had plenty of company. I say just keep playing him. He won't get better playing VFL football.

Hickey shows plenty in my opinion. He does some clever things. Don't forget that this guy has not played many games and is only 21. People need to be patient and realistic when it comes to ruck men. I believe he'll develop into a really good player. It's just going to take another two or three years.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Hickey is a long term proposition. Showed today that he is improving - how much more can we expect in the short term? The big ground suited himtoday.

Lee's good strong hands at this level surprised me. A good kick also, which we need. More consecutive games for him, to settle into the team and the pace of the game and show us what he can do.

Kiedis
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Are we talking about the same Stanley. The Stanley that has probably played his best season since being drafted and also his best season because of the fact that he's been able to string more games together than he ever has and the fact that he has had to learn a key back position and impressed at how well he's been able to adapt to that new position and with the exception of a little bit of inconsistency in recent weeks which is probably because he's had to play forward has been a big plus for team and is going to be a huge cog in the team in the future. Big guys with his talent and football smarts don't grow on trees and if he plays out the rest of the season injury free and has a good pre season then I think he will explode in 2014. The guy is going to be a very handy player for us. He's a gun you just need to hang in there.
I certainly hope so, If he break out like we all hope It'd be huge for us. I just haven't really seen anything yet to suggest he is/will be anything more than a serviceable player.

Besides the fact he's tall & quick.

& blonde. (the next Riewoldt messiah-complex?)

You are right though, this is the first season he's consistently on the park. Maybe he could do with some continuity in his position/role.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Stanley, Lee and Hickey will make decent to Vg players.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hey, I saw that reply in a quote... It reminded me of why you're ignored....

Getting personal, can't really do anything but, can you? Why are you commenting on my job again??

You pathetic sad old man, are you getting your jollies now that I'm replying to you? You wouldn't have a great deal more in your meek existence... Be surprised if you're allowed to be around.... Anyways.. Do reply si don't read it

Flog

BTW hickey is a ruck/fwd is he? We don't need a #1 Ruckman we need a forward/Ruckman in that order.... What exactly did he do in the front half that was good? Did he take a mark? No.... Did he create a goal? No.... Did he have an assit...

Which part makes him a fwd... The fact he's never kicked multiple goals, never played as a permanent fwd or can't take a grab?
Like to know??

But alas, I won't be able to see your pearls of wisdom...pity, I could do with a laugh...

Get the picture of Lenny out, grab some lube and roll the right sleeve up.... And enjoy youself... Someone has to enjoy you

Richter
SS Life Member

I'm pretty sure that Lee appeared to be taken by McPharli today? Whilst that contest was a draw On the day given McPharlin is an AA defender and this was Tommys first game at AFL level in quite a while I was impressed. He ran and presented which he has done in previous games, but also he seemed stronger in the body and was able to hold off defenders with his body strength to take marks - hadn't seen that before. Also whilst he missed a relatively easy one in the 1st Q, he came back strongly to finish with 3 goals, including a gem from around 45m slight angle.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tommy played very well today.... Will take confidence from that

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:I have a strong feeling that things will just click one day with Stanley and he will be a gun.
Like most players he probably needs 50+ games for this to be the case.
It won't happen overnight but it will hapen.
the issue with stanly atm is he dosen't have a home.. one min up front then down back.. next in the ruck. he had a average one today but the guy needs a set position, then he can grow in it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Hickley had a break out today... i am quite sure he beat sandi in a center ruck.. Rucked a lot better then Ben.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Serious