Good coaching today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good coaching today

Not such a good effort at the selection table, but good coaching IMO.

All the players emphasised, and so did Scott, the need to play the way they wanted to today.

Very aware that if you get sucked in to try and beat Freo at their own game, it never works out. Appeared to know when to hold up and when to go, that was done effectively most of the day. Great tackling, great contested ball winning.

If he can improve on the selection side of things, it would be a better all round performance from him.

Still, credit where due today...matchups, intensity and overall hunger for the contest a big tick.

Still hoping to see less smalls and more mids.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good coaching today

sad clown says WRONG

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SainterK, the selections seemed fine, lot of run and hunger, more than normal, give the youngsters a taste and see how badly they want it.
But I like your posts and agree with one person who said you should be invited into the fold as a Moderator.
Need your type of cool on this forum.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Worried by the replacement of the sub. Made no sense. Good apart from that. lenny helps a bit but some want to retire him. Forget how he plays. We know that. What about how he helps others?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

retire Lenny who the fraak said that?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Worried by the replacement of the sub. Made no sense. Good apart from that. lenny helps a bit but some want to retire him. Forget how he plays. We know that. What about how he helps others?
Wright could barely stand up so I think that was the obvious sub…

I want to know why we haven't hunted, tackled and pressured like that all year, how does that work?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think the decision to leave Roo out was very smart. Leave Roo out for the long road trips and give his knee a chance to recover a bit. Probably would not surprise if he is rested one or more times in the later half of the season. Longevity of his career should be the focus of his management no matter where we are on the ladder although for the remainder of his career you'd think ladder position won't come into the coaches thinking.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Something that I have wondered about for a while.

Seems that fitness is our problem this year. Cant run out games.

And yet Rooey, is admired by all in the afl for his stamina and ability to keep running.

So does, he do his own program, and if so why isnt he working on programs for the rest of the guys. I know he isnt the fitness coach, but is he supremely fit because he doesnt actually listen to the fitness coach.

Just wondering

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Worried by the replacement of the sub. Made no sense. Good apart from that. lenny helps a bit but some want to retire him. Forget how he plays. We know that. What about how he helps others?
Wright could barely stand up so I think that was the obvious sub…

I want to know why we haven't hunted, tackled and pressured like that all year, how does that work?
Yeah Wright hurt himself badly going for mark of the round.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Something that I have wondered about for a while.

And yet Rooey, is admired by all in the afl for his stamina and ability to keep running.

So does, he do his own program, and if so why isnt he working on programs for the rest of the guys. I know he isnt the fitness coach, but is he supremely fit because he doesnt actually listen to the fitness coach.

Just wondering
More like a once in a generation engine.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
mullet wrote:Something that I have wondered about for a while.

Just wondering
More like a once in a generation engine.
And 12 + pre seasons

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Attacked hard in the first half...run out of steam in the third a bit after big first Half effort..... Defended in the last with players behind ball to stay in the game....a bit

The right decision there, would not have been good for players to see a huge effort blow out to 8-12 goals.... Now they walk away with heads up, understand that effort brings competitiveness ....... And individual lessons and positives aplenty...

Good effort

Did not like the strategy with Stanley, Hickey and Dal.... But a lot of that had to do with their efforts.... Which were made look worse by the extremely good efforts of their team mates...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SW and selection table very courageous. well done

The harsh reality is that everyone has a use by date. Even the champs. Chad Cornes, Cam Mooney, Matthew Richardson, Barry Hall all knew their time was up. Roo has been a phenomenon. A once in a lifetime champion for the club....but we have to plan for the future

Not saying that Lee or Stanley or any other player on our list is better than Roo right now, but next year should be Rooys last. By the end of 2014, White or Lee or Stanley will be our new CHF. There's enough competition right now for these guys to push each other and Roo is the role model - he is the player and the best example of the level of fitness they need to aspire to.

I remember just a couple of years ago when Chris Scott left Cam Mooney out of the side and preferred playing J Pod in the 2011 GF instead of Mooney. Here was a guy who was playing VFL for the best part of the last decade getting the nod ahead of a proven performer.

saintcrazy
Club Player

I'm not interested in hearing about Geelong thanks!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I also thought Lyon was very good today.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I also thought Lyon was very good today.
How so?

Came down to running out the game rather than coaching tactics.

Sincerely doubt he planned to have his players so pressured and the game so open.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
How so?

Sincerely doubt he planned to have his players so pressured and the game so open.

When the game opened up we struggled. We were better when it closed down because we out tackled them today by a long way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
How so?

When the game opened up we struggled. We were better when it closed down because we out tackled them today by a long way.
I think it had more to do with legs.

10 kids under 20 games.

That was a very un-freo like performance.

Another team, perhaps WCE could probably learn a bit from it and apply a 4 quarter effort.