16th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: 16th

Con Gorozidis wrote:We need to find 2 serious young guns at year end to give us hope.
One won't cut it.
I'd have 1 of gilbo Gwilt and dempster on offer to the highest bid.
Todays game, Giants vs Doggies, Giants have a couple of real goers, but they are light like Aussie Jones. Agree we should have big hard-bodies like the Cats do.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Buckets
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:We need to find 2 serious young guns at year end to give us hope.
One won't cut it.

No offense to those above but I reckon 2nd rounder at best. Unless we convince GWS to part with pick 1 for 2 of them :p

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:aish - sa - inside/outside mid...should go 3, 4 0r 5

dunstan - sa - inside mid - clearance king ... ditto

sharenburg - sa captain - half back flanker - likened to goddard...a swingman...firming into pick 2
billings - vic - playing medium forward now but likely to be mid at senior level - range 3-10
kelly - vic - outside mid, great endurance and kick, slightly small - range 3-10....gets more of the footy than anyone else....

...i'd be happy with any of those.....but after watching vic metro v vic country..i'd prefer kelly if we can't get sharenberg or boyd.....
Aish, will probably go pick 2, once he gets some games under him, watch him get some crazy numbers toward the end of the season. If he is available and Boyd is gone, its a no brainer. Reminds me of a Marc Murphy type.

Dunston, he was the SA captain, not Scharenberg. Reminds me a bit of Jobe Watson, is a bit of a beast, with a few question marks over his kicking - which I personally haven't noticed. Will be a player but pick 3 might be a tad early - good value @ a pick around 7-10 though.

Scharenberg, initially I though, I don't want yet another bloody flanker. But who knows what he will do in the next phase of his footballing life. Reminds me a lot of BJ, and if he played on the flank, then he is the perfect BJ/Fisher replacement. It would be interesting to see if he could play that mid swingman role - think Hodge maybe. If we are going best available @ 3 and Aish/Boyd are gone, then he is the next best available for sure.

Billings, I don't want to spend pick 3 on him, simple as that. He 'might' be able to go into the midfield if he builds his tank, but I don't understand the thought that he is a fwd now, but the next level he will suddenly become a mid. Its a big risk to take and while he has talent, I don't think he is in our range unless we snag GWS's pick 10.

Kelly, is small, but his skills, ability to get a lot of it, and potential mean you'd consider him as probably the second best pure mid in the draft, if drafting for position, then he is probably behind only Aish assuming we pick up a tough inside mid through trade period. Would he be like a Jack Mcrae? Skinny kid but has 'it'?

The only other one I'd consider (apart from Boyd) is probably Sheed, is his pace really that bad? Is a dead set magnet and is that goal kicking midfielder we need. He seems like a real footballer, but picking up West Australians really scares me after Crippa.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd only be concerned about West Australians if they were as bad as Crippa..

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
falka
Club Player

We need absolute class players. Players like Newnes Murdoch Ross etc look like they may be solid citizens, we need to find some cream. Assuming 16th and Boyd out of equation it's got to be either Aish or Billings for class factor

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Need 3 guns from draft and 1-2 guns from free agency

Not hard

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

One won't cut it.

Con only Gilbert is worth anything and it would be a late second rounder or even a third. it wont help us and we again lose a player in the age group we cant afford to lose one in. We really must stop overating what we will get for players and we need to try and keep all our 23 to 27 years olds unless they are just no good. We have bugger all as it is

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Oh, I just can't wait for this wrecthed season to end...
2013 is likely to look good compared to the next three or four seasons. Our skills (kicking and handball especially) are the worst in the AFL - by a long way - especially amongst the players who are 25 or younger. The last skillful 18 yo we recruited was Brendon Goddard in 2002. Geelong has shown that you don't need top ten picks to get skillful players - you just have to have the judgement that skills are everything in AFL. If there was one common cause of our losses on the last days in 2009 and 2010 (besides woeful luck), it was our lack of skills (kicking and handball) at the crucial time. Two turnovers cost us dearly (both the same player).

kimberly saint
Club Player

One won't cut it.
if i was in charge dempster would be untouchable , other two be worth peanuts . But i agree fingers crossed we score two young gun mids

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Boyd will be gone so Scharenberg for mine- he played last year and looked ready to play- he just dominates. Then Aish, Kelly and I rate Sheed.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Dal has never been inside, classic outsider, especially if he has a shadow, goes to water worse than Aussie did, if you remember, or if you ever knew
I think you should keep track of his contested possessions count.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

One won't cut it.
Yeah starting to think we maybe should go for 2 if this is a strong draft.

I would think Gilbo may have the most currency because of his versatility and age compared to Dempster. Gwilt is much more one-dimensional than the other two.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I would think Gilbo may have the most currency because of his versatility and age compared to Dempster.
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted Gilbo or Gwilt. On the other hand, I reckon Dempster could be a premiership player at GC, even maybe GWS. Give them some smarts, steel and versatility in the backline. With a strong midfield in front of him and solid players around him he's top drawer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I would think Gilbo may have the most currency because of his versatility and age compared to Dempster.
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted Gilbo or Gwilt. On the other hand, I reckon Dempster could be a premiership player at GC, even maybe GWS. Give them some smarts, steel and versatility in the backline. With a strong midfield in front of him and solid players around him he's top drawer.

He is over 30 at the start of next year. Couldnt see to many sides interested in a 30 year old BP player.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

falka wrote:We need absolute class players. Players like Newnes Murdoch Ross etc look like they may be solid citizens, we need to find some cream. Assuming 16th and Boyd out of equation it's got to be either Aish or Billings for class factor
How can anyone tell if Newnes et al will just be solid citizens?

They have played about 25 games between them and looked ok for children at the very worst.

In my opinion, midfielders are easier to find than talls.

Use our picks to draft and trade talls and we move from there

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
falka wrote:We need absolute class players. Players like Newnes Murdoch Ross etc look like they may be solid citizens, we need to find some cream. Assuming 16th and Boyd out of equation it's got to be either Aish or Billings for class factor

They have played about 25 games between them and looked ok for children at the very worst.

Like Hickey and Lee last year. We have done that. Now its time for mids.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Like Hickey and Lee last year. We have done that. Now its time for mids.

We are going hard for mids and Scott has said unlikely to let the high picks go. i think we will get mids with our first two picks unless there is a freak slider we can't go past.