Key back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Key back

So in the pregame presser Scotty said the game would be won and lost in the middle. A well tried and tested line from coaches but accurate all the same. post game it seems our number 1 priority is a key back and we will spend like crazy to get one. Our opportunity at the end of this season will be two fold - we will have some high draft picks and room in our cap. Instead of using those pics and spending some money on young mids watch us trade away and clog our cap with a Mitch brown or similar. This is the story of st kilda - this is our future

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Key back

Yeah - I hope we dont get hung up on a key back
I mean if the ball stopped going down there 20 times a quarter we wouldnt need to worry so much.
Our midfield should be our first 2nd and 3rd priority. Key back is 4th.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Key back is a priority. KPP players are hard to find. Secondly don't be surprised to see one or two experienced players to be offloaded to possibly GWS for picks. Listening to Sheedy it was obvious he was hoping to trade last year and perhaps this year.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Go back 24 hours folks. Vickery & Edwards killed us and Jack could quite easily kicked 7 or 8 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Key back is a priority. KPP players are hard to find. Secondly don't be surprised to see one or two experienced players to be offloaded to possibly GWS for picks. Listening to Sheedy it was obvious he was hoping to trade last year and perhaps this year.

Watters is a new coach and is still learning. personally I think we stuffed up (in hindsight of course) trying to give up the two picks for Brown.

We picked up Wright and Wight with those two pick so in that sense we dodged a bullet. However this meand we are thin down back. Take out Fisher and Gilbert, and we are threadbare with the results that the monster forwards take us apart especially if the pressure from the mids is ordinary (as per yesterday).

I thnk we wont be trading away our top pick for a Brown type. Watters is no fool and can see the reward Wright and Wight can bring.

I expect some agressive trading for so tough bodied in and under mids, a big backman, and using our high dps on the best player available.

If we get a backman, Stanley can go forward (where he belongs) and the backline is much more stable. If we get a GOP mid trade and then a top pick mid, we are on the way.

Next year will probably be even more frustrating than this. I would hope to see big improvement from the likes of Newnes, Dunnell, Wright, Saunders, Webster, hopefully Curren, Sipposs Wight, Markworth, Michington ect.

However with the hopeful improvement, we will see the team play really well one week and then fall back again (as all young teams do). Most of us are resigned to being pitiful this year, less so next year, and looking to move up the ladder in 2015.

Lets hpe we all are wrong and the improvement happens much quicker. We just have to be patient.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Watters is a new coach and is still learning. personally I think we stuffed up (in hindsight of course) trying to give up the two picks for Brown.

We picked up Wright and Wight with those two pick so in that sense we dodged a bullet. However this meand we are thin down back. Take out Fisher and Gilbert, and we are threadbare with the results that the monster forwards take us apart especially if the pressure from the mids is ordinary (as per yesterday).

I thnk we wont be trading away our top pick for a Brown type. Watters is no fool and can see the reward Wright and Wight can bring.

I expect some agressive trading for so tough bodied in and under mids, a big backman, and using our high dps on the best player available.

If we get a backman, Stanley can go forward (where he belongs) and the backline is much more stable. If we get a GOP mid trade and then a top pick mid, we are on the way.

Next year will probably be even more frustrating than this. I would hope to see big improvement from the likes of Newnes, Dunnell, Wright, Saunders, Webster, hopefully Curren, Sipposs Wight, Markworth, Michington ect.

However with the hopeful improvement, we will see the team play really well one week and then fall back again (as all young teams do). Most of us are resigned to being pitiful this year, less so next year, and looking to move up the ladder in 2015.

Lets hpe we all are wrong and the improvement happens much quicker. We just have to be patient.
Who is Wight? Are you talking about Spencer White?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Getting Mitch Brown would be huge for us. If we had Brown on our list yesterday forget about the missing Fisher,Simpkin,Gilbert and Blake the result would have been vastly differant.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Kernal75
Club Player

Whoever we bring in whether experienced or a kid, will be offset by the likely loss or trade of the following :

Hayes, Milne, Kosi, Fisher (potentially trade bait) and some peripheral fring players (i.e. Ledger, Shenton). I feel we are in for a big couple of years cleaning out the list so we can maximise our opportunities at the draft / trade. It's going to be a tough couple of years on the field but the time to do it is now.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Getting Mitch Brown would be huge for us. If we had Brown on our list yesterday forget about the missing Fisher,Simpkin,Gilbert and Blake the result would have been vastly differant.

I hope you are taking the piss.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

i tend to agree would have made a few goal difference...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Getting Mitch Brown would be huge for us. If we had Brown on our list yesterday forget about the missing Fisher,Simpkin,Gilbert and Blake the result would have been vastly differant.

We wouldnt have won but the result wouldnt have been as bad. Although if Brown Fisher Gilber and Simkin all played I think we may have.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We wouldnt have won but the result wouldnt have been as bad. Although if Brown Fisher Gilber and Simkin all played I think we may have.

No we would have lost by at least 7 goals IMO. Our mids got smashed so it wouldnt matter who played back. Brown is a very ordinary footballer by the way.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Brown plays on Riewoldt means Dempster is back where he plays best. Means Gwilt and Roberton would also have had Dempster peeling off in front. We wouldnt have won but it wouldnt have been as bad. Throw in Fisher Gilbert and Simpkin and its completely differant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Brown plays on Riewoldt means Dempster is back where he plays best. Means Gwilt and Roberton would also have had Dempster peeling off in front. We wouldnt have won but it wouldnt have been as bad. Throw in Fisher Gilbert and Simpkin and its completely differant.

No it wouldnt because the mids got smashed. If brown players in Riewoldt he may kick better for no apparent reason and get 6 . he wouldnt have got less goals because Brown isnt very good and the mids got smashed.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Brown plays on Riewoldt means Dempster is back where he plays best. Means Gwilt and Roberton would also have had Dempster peeling off in front. We wouldnt have won but it wouldnt have been as bad. Throw in Fisher Gilbert and Simpkin and its completely differant.

No it wouldnt because the mids got smashed. If brown players in Riewoldt he may kick better for no apparent reason and get 6 . he wouldnt have got less goals because Brown isnt very good and the mids got smashed.

Yes but with Fisher Dempster and Gilbert across half back we would have more chance of winning it back wouldnt we?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes but with Fisher Dempster and Gilbert across half back we would have more chance of winning it back wouldnt we?

Yep but we arent very good even when they have played.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Who is Wight? Are you talking about Spencer White?

yeah whatever :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yep but we arent very good even when they have played.

Given that Fisher and Dempster did little to no pre season Im hardly suprised. All Im saying Brown at FB or even CHB would be massive for us. Dempster is not a key back either is Gwilt.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

My issue with our drafting over the next couple of years is we only have 2 players (jack and armitage) that are in the 23-27 range (from memory) - if we recruit kids then Jack and Armo will be in the older end of their career by the time the kids come through - assuming 3-5 years for 50-100 games. So unless we recruit ready made mids - Jack and Armo are going to be in a midfield that will never be dominant so why stick around?

southernsaint
Club Player

I reackon we are a shoe in for brown and will cost us nothing except a spot on the list. Hope we chase taylor adams, then draft mids and a young key back as well.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to see us completely bottom out and only top up with young players in the national draft. For this reason I hope we use free agency to our advantage. I don't believe you only recruit FA's when your window is open. You get them to improve the team.

Use our first two picks on quality kids. Trade for a Mitch Brown type with a 3rd rounder and perhaps another GOP who is mature enough to play straight away. Then pick up a couple of FA's who will improve our team. If they don't work out don't play. Simple. Continual improvement is the key.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

can we get a key back now, today, this second
with robberton rolling that ankle and dempster hurting his foot we could be seriously short staffed down back next week :shock:

southernsaint
Club Player

Ferguson, Lever, Staley or the Blake :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: