The Lyon Era Draft Abyss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Lyon Era Draft Abyss

Forgot the best of all

Lovett!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Freebird, you need to put your post into context... it was considered a weak draft
Freebird wrote: We give up 2 round pick for Ackland not considered top 5 rucks at Port
We just lost Trent Knobel and needed a ready made ruck. Cain had a reasonable 2005 though fell away fairly quickly after that though Carlton thought he was worth a punt to.
So look at the draft. Ackland went at 33, the only AFL grade players that went between him and the drafting of McGough that weren't father son are Mark LeCras at 37 who was not what we needed at the time and Ivan Maric at 40 but he was only a kid and again not what we needed.

Hindsight shows that both would have been a better choice but that doesn't mean the decision was wrong at the time
Freebird wrote:We give up 3rd round pick McGough who could not get a game with a team whose mids were at the time considered poor and delisted
After that pick came Chris Knights at 56, and Matthew Egan at 62 before we got the next prized player which was Gwilt at 63. Hardly disastrous decisions as you've made out. Only other players worth mentioning are Chris Bryan and Daniel Pratt went as the last 2 players + Danyle Pierce and Heath Grundy went in the rookie draft
Freebird wrote: We give up 1st and 2nd round pick for Brooks because we needed a ruckman but he was considered a good pack mark but not high standard ruckman
I don't think thats true. I think they thought he could ruck as did we all until he was injured
Freebird wrote:We give up pick 26 (Howard) for a long shot that was unlikely to be drafted
I don't think the club thought he was a long shot nd unlikely to be drafted
Good post Sceptic.

The only thing I would add is that Ackland's 2005 didn't really finish on a good note when he got smashed in the ruck in the Prelim.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is the problem... The recruiters should have known Howard was not worth pick 27?

Ackland was worth the selection

Brooks was worth the first selection traded for #6.... Not two picks

McGough was not worth the pick he was selected for.... His limitations were known

Lovett, said my bit in 2009

Grundy was ridiculously overlooked by all clubs... Another example of recruiters over complicating a simple process...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There is the problem... The recruiters should have known Howard was not worth pick 27?

Ackland was worth the selection

Brooks was worth the first selection traded for #6.... Not two picks

McGough was not worth the pick he was selected for.... His limitations were known

Lovett, said my bit in 2009

Grundy was ridiculously overlooked by all clubs... Another example of recruiters over complicating a simple process...

Of course.

darylcowie
Club Player

WTF happened in Perth today? Was there a howling storm or something? North kicked 4.5.29 for the entire game and Freo only kicked 10.7.67!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:WTF happened in Perth today? Was there a howling storm or something? North kicked 4.5.29 for the entire game and Freo only kicked 10.7.67!

It poured in the first quarter.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon happened

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
groupie1
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:From 2004 until 2011 the club played in seven finals series, five prelims, 3 grand finals including a drawn grand final and apart from some horrendous luck which could have seen us go back to back, this has been the most successful period of the club.

It doesn't help when you have sub standard training facilities compared to the Cats and Pies.

GF are incredibly hard to win. While we stuffed up the second quarter of the 2009 GF, you need a bit of luck as well.

We were underdogs in both the 09 and 10 GF.

We would have won 04 if we got there. Again, no luck.

GF are hard to win. You need luck. We stuffed up execution in 09 but overall, the club did not stuff up.
And we would have won against WCE in 2005 had injuries not cruelled us all year and a free-kick given to Matt McGuire. All year,Penny, Hudghton, McGuire and Fisher never played in the same side.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

whiskers3614 wrote:Forgot the best of all

Lovett!
If Lovett had actually played we would've won the flag!

Megamaguire
Club Player

Interesting that Freeo probably are learning from the Lyon era @ St.K. & lack of a player academy (a la cats) to develope young players.
You can blame Lyon for his disregard for keeping an eye on youth development but surely that was the responsibility of the St.Kilda Football Club to have had a clear and focused commitment to on-going youth development. I was frustrated by Lyon's lack of interest in future Saints players but actually much more disappointed with our club for not being aware of the need for youth development structures that could rival the cats for example. I'm guessing the cats already had a good youth development going when Lyon agreed to be our coach. If the board that did well to sign him on had also stressed the importance of a strong youth development program as a simple fact of life for a club like St. Kilda that cannot afford to have un-sustained success in contrast to the likes of the pies; hawks; bombers etc with their potentially huge m'ship bases.

It seems to me that the personnel at the club were not really acrooss all avenues when it came to developing the St.Kilda Football Club.
I believe the club did not want to loose Lyon when they did and that now apppears as a major miscalculation!
If they wanted a player academy back then which they should have - looking at collingwood and geelong development programs made the need for one obvious.
I believe the club's negotiation skills were exposed as being dangerously amateurish. If wthey wanted to give Lyon the flick that is another story but i don't believe they did.

I don't want to linger on past incompetences but sincerely hope the club can learn for the future stability of the St. Kilda Football Club.
So far i'm happy enough with SW and am keeping fingers crossed that our youth development efforts are on a more advanced level of operating.
SW still has a bit of time to shine further but even he needs a bit of luck with recruitment as he is not dispensible either.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

In light of all the recently written articles about our draft history, I thought I'd pump my own tyres and bump this thread I created over twelve months ago. As saintspremiers wrote in another thread, "This article could've and should have been written a year ago".
Good to see the media playing catch up again.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The 2008 and 2010 were the worst drafts.

All clubs trade at times and in 2009 it was a year that this was strategically taken.

But those other years were the strategy was to hit up kids with low draft picks were terrible.

elizabethr
Club Player

Excellent Analysis !

nothing to say
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Excellent Analysis !

Thanks!

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Ball bounces to Milne and Lyon is hailed as a hero for all time.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Ball bounces to Milne and Lyon is hailed as a hero for all time.
Milne & Lyon 2 of the greatest GF chokers in history!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:Ball bounces to Milne and Lyon is hailed as a hero for all time.
Milne & Lyon 2 of the greatest GF chokers in history!

What a lot of rubbish. At least both have gone now and all has come good.