Sorry Caro You Are Wrong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Sorry Caro You Are Wrong

Normally I pretty much agree with Caroline Wilson as a football journalist.

I have great respect for her as a writer and judge of the game we all love.

But on Stephen Milne she is just plain wrong.

Some people on this forum aren't going to like me for saying this but I think that Caro and the St Kilda Football Club are both WRONG for forcing Milney into what is probably going to be his retirement from the game.

He should be allowed to play. Simple as that. The players are right. The St Kilda Board is wrong. Why you might ask?

Because we have a very simple principle that our system of justice is built on.

It's called INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY.

Stephen Milne is entitled to be regarded as innocent until someone in authority has judged the FACTS of his case and said otherwise.

Everyone has that right so why should an AFL player be treated differently?

As for the argument that this would somehow impinge on his welfare. Presumably that means he can expect to get a lot of stick from Opposition supporters.

Called a rapist. Nothing knew in that. Milney been subjected to that plenty of times. In any case it is his call. If he thinks that he can put in 100 percent on the footy field then he should be allowed to play. It is that simple.

And if and when this matter goes to trial. And believe me that is no sure thing. And...if he is judged to be guilty then he will in all probability go to prison and rightly so.

But until that day comes. S Milne is innocent and should be allowed to continue his footy career with the St Kilda Football Club. End of story.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sorry Caro You Are Wrong

damienc wrote:Normally I pretty much agree with Caroline Wilson as a football journalist.

I have great respect for her as a writer and judge of the game we all love.

But on Stephen Milne she is just plain wrong.

Some people on this forum aren't going to like me for saying this but I think that Caro and the St Kilda Football Club are both WRONG for forcing Milney into what is probably going to be his retirement from the game.

He should be allowed to play. Simple as that. The players are right. The St Kilda Board is wrong. Why you might ask?

Because we have a very simple principle that our system of justice is built on.

It's called INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY.

Stephen Milne is entitled to be regarded as innocent until someone in authority has judged the FACTS of his case and said otherwise.

Everyone has that right so why should an AFL player be treated differently?

As for the argument that this would somehow impinge on his welfare. Presumably that means he can expect to get a lot of stick from Opposition supporters.

Called a rapist. Nothing knew in that. Milney been subjected to that plenty of times. In any case it is his call. If he thinks that he can put in 100 percent on the footy field then he should be allowed to play. It is that simple.

And if and when this matter goes to trial. And believe me that is no sure thing. And...if he is judged to be guilty then he will in all probability go to prison and rightly so.

But until that day comes. S Milne is innocent and should be allowed to continue his footy career with the St Kilda Football Club. End of story.
i think that there are more than a few on here who would agree with you on that ....i do however believe that caro is right in saying the matter was oroginally not handled very well by the club........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
MrCordz
Club Player

Caro's assessment pf the club didn't make any sense - could have written that living in Iceland

Humbly St. Kilda
stinger
Saintsational Legend

milne also has dimwit in his corner

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 2omlk.html

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
happy feet
Club Player

Have not you realised that the media in this country charge, try, and the convict people every day. And when called to account squeal like stuck pigs. A pox on the lot of them.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: And if and when this matter goes to trial. And believe me that is no sure thing. And...if he is judged to be guilty then he will in all probability go to prison and rightly so.

Andrew Lovett lost his career at the peak of his powers & was later found not guilty... What were you saying when we sacked him Damo?

Do club legends get a different set if rules to naughty ring ins?

SaintlySaint85
Club Player

I have absolutely no respect for Caroline Wilson, Damien Barrett, in fact any of the muck-raking journalists that inhabit our beautiful sport. They line up to kick any club that won't bite back - where's all the scandal ridden headlines surrounding Marley Williams on his serious assault charges? Oh, thats right, they're all too busy giving Eddie McGuire a tongue bath to have the balls. Not to forget the biggest scandal in modern sport, Essendon - now they're all warriors overcoming adversity rather than the drug cheats they TRULY are.

Seriously, the day that all of these 'professionals' refused to admit fault for that ridiculous Kim Duthie scandal (i'm sure Caro has about 30 or 40 pairs of bootees knitted for those twins that are STILL on their way) was the day that I refused to read an Australian sports opinion piece ever again.

damienc
Club Player

dragit wrote:
damienc wrote: And if and when this matter goes to trial. And believe me that is no sure thing. And...if he is judged to be guilty then he will in all probability go to prison and rightly so.

Andrew Lovett lost his career at the peak of his powers & was later found not guilty... What were you saying when we sacked him Damo?

Point taken. However I wasn't a member of this forum when the Lovett case was doing the rounds. Had I been a forum member I would have no hesitation saying exactly the same thing about him.

The point I am making is that anyone, irrespective of name or reputation is entitled to a presumption of innocence. Milney has not been granted that entitlement by the St Kilda football club Board and that's wrong in my view.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think the StKilda board shat itself when Milne was charged. We are not a wealthy club, we are not an attractive proposition for sponsors.
The board knew the muck raking journo types would have a field day on this story, thus making our financial backers nervous, hence they went the conservative approach.

I have already noted that Caro went out of her way to mention Centrebet in one of her muck raking stories.

I also think the Lovett scenario made them want to appear somewhat consistent.

incidentally, if a guy, in his own free time, gets his rocks off, allegedly without consent, with a female and is subsequently investigated by the law, why is his employer dragged into it and
referenced everytime the muck rakers need a headline...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Couldn't care less about her opinion. Doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'd be willing to bet there are a number of players who reckon it is for the best that Milne take time out to deal with this and prepare best he can.

It won't help in his preparation for the hearing by hearing over and over again that he is a rapist from filthy supporters. It won't do anyone any good in fact.

Clearly everyone has there own opinion on this and who really knows what the best call is. But for a guttersnipe old hag to attempt to create division at our club over such an incident, is as low as it's proven character.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
maverick
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

I thought he lost his career because he was too fat and a pisshead.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

you make yourself unpopular when you hold up a mirror, or pont out that the emperor has no clothes!
better to get our poo in a nice neat pile than play the victim card every time media point out our shortcomings.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
dragit wrote:

Point taken. However I wasn't a member of this forum when the Lovett case was doing the rounds. Had I been a forum member I would have no hesitation saying exactly the same thing about him.

The point I am making is that anyone, irrespective of name or reputation is entitled to a presumption of innocence. Milney has not been granted that entitlement by the St Kilda football club Board and that's wrong in my view.
I agree with the presumption of innocence, but football is akin to show business these days... and the club is bigger than the individual. This has the capacity to become a major distraction for the players & a serious threat to sponsorship.

It's just not necessary for Stephen to be playing while facing such a serious criminal charge, the club can support him without sending him out on stage weekly. This isn't a normal job where you can get on with it without constant media hounding, lets face it, these guys are celebrities.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:Have not you realised that the media in this country charge, try, and the convict people every day. And when called to account squeal like stuck pigs. A pox on the lot of them.
+1

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Caroline Wilson is a bitter, vicious, talentless hypocrite. If her daddy hadn't have got her a job in the first place, she'd be a nobody.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
vantheman
Club Player

she has been just about the only journo to have a "go" @ Hird and call him to account, whereas virtually all other media outlets have gone "softly, softly" on the Golden Boy and steadily allowed him to back away from his "it's my responsibility" statement when all of the Essendon supplmenents issue first broke

she has also been continually criticising Malthouse for his Milne comments all that time ago
her latest go @ him was on Footy Classified as recently as the last 3 weeks

yes, she does thrive on the off field scandal rather than on field events - but it is rare that she pursues a story and it proves completely without foundation

above all, she does what a good reporter should do for her employer - she sells papers and gets web site hits because she IS controversial
if any reader is expecting ethics/morals from any reporter...............well "good luck with that" -it is all about revenue, after all the Age is a commercial organisation, not a charity

do we really want a totally bland media?
if "no" then we have to cop it when scandals close to home are reported -sometimes inaccurately - such is the nature of the beast
if "yes" - enjoy your beige world

sure, in theory it would be wonderful were all sweetness and nice in this world and all media only reported the truth, but guess what folks? - the media produces what sells, not what is correct
so in the end the public gets what it wants albeit @ times distasteful, inaccurate, unethical and maybe immoral
everybody loves a scandal, unless its about them

consider the commercial aspects of Caro's stories about Milne/Saints
(accuracy aside) - it results in potentially delighting supporters of many of the other 17 clubs , who traditionally love to have the Saints portrayed as perpetual losers. so lots of paper sales and web site "hits"
also add in the riled Saints fans who also then seek out the stories they may otherwise not have read, so again more activity on The Age web site resulting in more revenue
so morality aside - it makes damn good commercial sense to write controversial articles

above all for people who don't like her stories then the remedy is simple "don't read them" - it is not compulsory that you HAVE to read them

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

vantheman wrote:she has been just about the only journo to have a "go" @ Hird and call him to account, whereas virtually all other media outlets have gone "softly, softly" on the Golden Boy and steadily allowed him to back away from his "it's my responsibility" statement when all of the Essendon supplmenents issue first broke

she has also been continually criticising Malthouse for his Milne comments all that time ago
her latest go @ him was on Footy Classified as recently as the last 3 weeks

yes, she does thrive on the off field scandal rather than on field events - but it is rare that she pursues a story and it proves completely without foundation

above all, she does what a good reporter should do for her employer - she sells papers and gets web site hits because she IS controversial
if any reader is expecting ethics/morals from any reporter...............well "good luck with that" -it is all about revenue, after all the Age is a commercial organisation, not a charity

do we really want a totally bland media?
if "no" then we have to cop it when scandals close to home are reported -sometimes inaccurately - such is the nature of the beast
if "yes" - enjoy your beige world

sure, in theory it would be wonderful were all sweetness and nice in this world and all media only reported the truth, but guess what folks? - the media produces what sells, not what is correct
so in the end the public gets what it wants albeit @ times distasteful, inaccurate, unethical and maybe immoral
everybody loves a scandal, unless its about them

consider the commercial aspects of Caro's stories about Milne/Saints
(accuracy aside) - it results in potentially delighting supporters of many of the other 17 clubs , who traditionally love to have the Saints portrayed as perpetual losers. so lots of paper sales and web site "hits"
also add in the riled Saints fans who also then seek out the stories they may otherwise not have read, so again more activity on The Age web site resulting in more revenue
so morality aside - it makes damn good commercial sense to write controversial articles

above all for people who don't like her stories then the remedy is simple "don't read them" - it is not compulsory that you HAVE to read them
Good post

Even if i don't read Caro's article in the paper or on the Age web site i still get to read it on here, if it's out there, as a saints supporter i'm going to find this garbage somewhere.

I don't mind her reporting the latest development in this 9 year saga, however, there is absolutely no need for the muck raking journo gutter feeder to drag Centrebet into the saga,
as she has attempted to do in one of her articles....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Rosco
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
incidentally, if a guy, in his own free time, gets his rocks off, allegedly without consent, with a female and is subsequently investigated by the law, why is his employer dragged into it and
referenced everytime the muck rakers need a headline...
exactly