Milney must annouce his retirement soon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milney must annouce his retirement soon

True Believer wrote:Umm, did I read the committal hearing is in early July ??

If they decide it isn't going to trial, would that not see him free to play this season?

How long do committal hearings normally run??
no...the committal hearing will be weeks if not months away... would be set down for 1, 2 or 3 days depending on number of witnesses........with a trial...if there is to be one...not untill 2014....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote: he would need a pope mobile for the lap!
In these trying times I thank you matrix for this comment. Made me laugh.

And the mental image that it created really cracked me up :D

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree that he should be stood down. Whatever happened to due process???

If there was to be a lap of honour then maybe a Collingwood game?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
70s sainter
Club Player

Unfortunately, If found not guilty next year prob only an inhouse goodbye such as the best and fairest would be do able. If found guilty obviously he won't get an official send off, and sadly it will dominate any thoughts about him from then on.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

It will be a wait and see until july 5 , If he is not cleared then he should retire !
His form this year would suggest the club wouldn't give him another contract , so he should thank those that need to be thanked then get on with the business of defending himself . When he is cleared he should then sue anyone and everyone he can for dragging this BS on for ten years !

If he was charged , found guilty and dealt with in 2004 , a likely sentence of time served would have under 5 years , So all the BS he's faced would have been over years ago , He wouldn't of had his career but he and his family would not have to put up with what they've over the years !

In red white and black from 73
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

You have all got to be kidding.
The club is weak to put him on indefinite leave...as good as an admission of guilt!

He did not do the crime he is accused of.

You might as well say he shouldn't have been playing for the last 9 years!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:You have all got to be kidding.
The club is weak to put him on indefinite leave...as good as an admission of guilt!

Perhaps it was a joint decision in the end?

No point going up in arms when we don't know the details.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Plugger, it is a painful decision to make but this will probably drag on and won't be good for Milney or the club. I hope the club still offers him a support network

I love this club
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Our last two games of the season are against Gold Coast and Fremantle at Etihad, which would mean minimal opposition support, so one of those would be ideal.
I just hope it doesn't come to that though, I'd rather see him kick 6 big ones for his last game.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stand him aside until committal hearing.
In the albeit unlikely event he doesn't have to go to trial then reinstate him immediately.
If it goes to trial then he should retire.
If he gets off then he can do a lap of honour next season.
If guilty then probably a lap of honour in 10 years time.
Maybe never.
Sad but life can be sad.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 19 Jun 2013 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Stand him aside until acquittal trial.
In the albeit unlikely event he doesn't have to go to trial then reinstate him immediately.
Maybe never.
Sad but life can be sad.

That will probably be after delistings for next season. And the July date means nothing even though some on here think it does. Nothing will change this footy season so why will the club change their mind.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The only positive aspect ... at least we're not in contention this year.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:You have all got to be kidding.

Oh god please talk to someone and they'll explain it to you.

The cops have spent a year working on the case and have more evidence.

Why do they suddenly have more evidence? Did our club withold it or did the cops???

Anyway, it's very messy now and he simply cannot play full stop.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bozza1980
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Maybe never.
Sad but life can be sad.

That will probably be after delistings for next season. And the July date means nothing even though some on here think it does. Nothing will change this footy season so why will the club change their mind.
Considering a Committal Hearing is the first testing of the evidence and where a Magistrate decides whether the case against the accused is of sufficient weight to warrant trial, there is always a chance that the the Magistrate could decide that there is not enough evidence and not send the matter to trial.

It would, however seem highly unlikely that the OPP would go to the effort of reviving a 9 year old case, if they thought it any chance to be knocked over at the very first hurdle.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Maybe never.
Sad but life can be sad.

Considering a Committal Hearing is the first testing of the evidence and where a Magistrate decides whether the case against the accused is of sufficient weight to warrant trial, there is always a chance that the the Magistrate could decide that there is not enough evidence and not send the matter to trial.

It would, however seem highly unlikely that the OPP would go to the effort of reviving a 9 year old case, if they thought it any chance to be knocked over at the very first hurdle.

The committal hearing will most certainly be after the season ends.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Maybe never.
Sad but life can be sad.

cases get thrown out by magistrates fairly regularly...the fact that this is nine years old just gives the beak more justification for throwing it out...not less.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The time involved in bringing charges is a disgrace - the wounds are open and bleeding again, but Milney now has a family, which will make things worse. In looking at "the big picture," his standing aside is probably the best for "everyone" involved in this matter, including Milney, as by playing on, the media hype and opposition abuse will continue.

His Saints farewell needs to wait until this mess is cleared up, when, if found innocent, it can be handled with full applauds.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Hey Plugger I haven't got an opinion either way on what you are suggesting suffice to say it's great to see you are sticking your neck out on such a sensitive subject and moreover don't let it be said that you don't have one.

PS: I'm actually really gutted about this whole event and have felt quite flat since hearing the news yesterday and I think I'm going to adopt the policy of trying to keep away from the whole subject and see if I can return to just enjoying the Saints and the footy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Stand him aside until committal hearing.
Maybe never.
Sad but life can be sad.

Agree

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Why hurry him up. We should let the whole thing play out and not push him as he must be in a fairly bad place right now as must the victim. The police have been discussing this case in the media further compromising the chances of a fair trial.

there is almost zero chance he could actually receive a fair trial as it is. Sexual assault cases are hard to prosecute at the best of times but 9 years is a long time to have witnesses provide evidence with out clouding of timer and what has already been put out into the public forum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Why hurry him up. We should let the whole thing play out and not push him as he must be in a fairly bad place right now as must the victim. The police have been discussing this case in the media further compromising the chances of a fair trial.

there is almost zero chance he could actually receive a fair trial as it is. Sexual assault cases are hard to prosecute at the best of times but 9 years is a long time to have witnesses provide evidence with out clouding of timer and what has already been put out into the public forum.

You are very confusing. You are saying it is hard to prosecute these cases at the best of time and then say Milney has almost zero chance of getting a fair trial. That is having it both ways.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Likely to be back by the Carlton game, depending on his willingness to play.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Likely to be back by the Carlton game, depending on his willingness to play.

Why? What will change by then?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Likely to be back by the Carlton game, depending on his willingness to play.

Why? What will change by then?
His mindset, and the public move on to the next character assassination
3-4 weeks should do it, after the mention.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Why hurry him up. We should let the whole thing play out and not push him as he must be in a fairly bad place right now as must the victim. The police have been discussing this case in the media further compromising the chances of a fair trial.

You are very confusing. You are saying it is hard to prosecute these cases at the best of time and then say Milney has almost zero chance of getting a fair trial. That is having it both ways.

I'm saying it shouldn't be prosecuted because of time and a zero chance of a fair trial. I heard someone today saying he knew Milne was guilty and should be gaoled. He won't be able to be tried in Victoria with out a huge amount of personal bias, preconception of his guilt or innocence and media offering opinion that could seriously damage his chances of receiving the same outcome as someone walking up off the street.

I see your loving the circus you old drama queen- you have been longing for the down fall of the team for years and are in your element trying to salt the forums wounds as usual.