Scott v Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott v Dal

I like the role SW has Dal playing at the moment, similar role that Jimmy Bartel now plays with the cats & has over the past 2 seasons.

Cats fans will tell you they believe it will prolong Bartel's career, as he is no longer heavily tagged, nor is his body being battered & punished continually in the midfield, plus not being worn out having to spread offensively & defensively so much as he is ageing. Though Bartel often still has cameo roles as a mid if and when the Cats need him.

Dal, like Bartel reads the game exceptionally well, has sublime skills on both sides of his body, has that unique skill in appearing to have 'time' to think through options before he commits himself to executing a kick/handpass. Only thing Dal lacks when comparing him to Bartels in that role, is Jimmy's better contested marking skills IMHO.

Also the Cats have more talent around Bartel to benefit from the role he plays these days, than Saints currently have to capitalise on Dal's work.

I wasn't at all fussed to see Goddard go, infact I was pleased................... I would be devastated if Dal is put up for a trade by the Club though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He goes for coffee in St Kilda with Joey and Jack Steven and sometimes Gears so I guess he's just arrogantly shadowing the people he isn't mates with. They seem like close friends. Oh well some guy who's plumber knows his sisters boyfriends grandmother would know better though.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo is not arrogrant infact he's extremely laid back and it sometimes shows to his detriment

one of the least arrogant players at the club - very down to earth, laid back Bendigo boy.

“Yeah….nah””
resaintlee
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Dal Santo is not arrogrant infact he's extremely laid back and it sometimes shows to his detriment

one of the least arrogant players at the club - very down to earth, laid back Bendigo boy.
Certainly a different kettle of fish to the Selwood twins. He has plenty to offer the Club for some time to come.
I am uncomfortable with the idea of trading out our older players because of their age. He has made the comment repeatedly that he wants to be a one club player and until he says something different we should expect he will be.
Some of the senior players we expect will be delisted at the end of the season so we should be hoping to receive a valuable return from those senior players who are left and, for another reason, the next age bracket down are a bit thin on the ground.

Apart from Roberton, our trade in players have not matched our young, traditionally drafted players for a long time now.

So forget the idea of trading Dal until at least, as a benchmark, the Dogs trade Robert Murphy

felix
Club Player

Dal is the number one saints player in the afl rankings coming in at number 31 last week.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As I have posted elsewhere, maybe use him to help get Paton.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

If all of the rumours are true then it is a perfect opportunity for SW to make a statement. If Dal pushes his luck similar then SW should ensure he suffers the same fate when RL dropped him in his first year. IMO it was part of the making of RL, albeit the cycle of the group is at a different phase in the equalisation phase but I just think that the cuddly smurf needs to take an opportunity to make a strong statement not only for himself but in the name of the RL culture...if that makes sense.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mark Waugh Syndrome.... Because you make the difficult look easy, people think they are taking it easy.... Junior made two of the most important and courageous hundreds of the 90's decade against Ambrose/Walsh, and the Donald/Pollock

Dal has had a super career, you don't be a part of the AFL elite midfield for 7 years (05-11) by cruising too much, and before anyone suggests he travelled on the coattails of Lenny, he had his best season in the absense of Len and stepped up.... He is/was always the first Saint Mid tagged... Because he is the most damaging offensively... Yet has churned out pretty fair numbers....

He's not manic, but nor os Jack and Armo composed with the ball

saintjake
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Still keeps popping up in media circles...

Tension?

Shame if true, given Dal had to be dropped when Ross first arrived also.
Rumor is he might be getting head hunted.... just talk i heard via a few media reports. GWS is a worry for me as they're looking at mature boys for their list and IMO Dal would be perfect for them.

Hope he stays... he did stay very strongly he's a one club man on footy show...
It's funny because he would be GWS number 1 midfielder, and would thus get tagged heavily, suck really bad and we will look like major winners in what ever trade we get for him

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Still keeps popping up in media circles...

Tension?

Shame if true, given Dal had to be dropped when Ross first arrived also.
Rumor is he might be getting head hunted.... just talk i heard via a few media reports. GWS is a worry for me as they're looking at mature boys for their list and IMO Dal would be perfect for them.

Hope he stays... he did stay very strongly he's a one club man on footy show...
It's funny because he would be GWS number 1 midfielder, and would thus get tagged heavily, suck really bad and we will look like major winners in what ever trade we get for him

They should have several really solid mids by next year and Scully, Palmer and Ward would love another mature player in there with them.

I would ask for Corr, Jackshe or Bugg as we need a key defender and Bugg could be a mid but needs to play back to accomodate him. Greene, Coniglio,etc etc. They really don't need more mids. Dal would have to net us some kind of really highly rated player to consider it even.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Dal makes Joey look better

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:If all of the rumours are true then it is a perfect opportunity for SW to make a statement. If Dal pushes his luck similar then SW should ensure he suffers the same fate when RL dropped him in his first year. IMO it was part of the making of RL, albeit the cycle of the group is at a different phase in the equalisation phase but I just think that the cuddly smurf needs to take an opportunity to make a strong statement not only for himself but in the name of the RL culture...if that makes sense.
Yeah great idea, maybe Watters can do a Luke Ball with him!
Making of RL?? you don't make turds you DO them

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Let's say he goes via free agency - all Australian, b&f winner. Do we get a late 1st round pick?

Am i correct in saying dal is restricted free agent? Ie we match GwS offer and keep him? So do we then play hardball with GWS and say that we will drive his price sky high through free agency if they don't agree to a trade in principal? Pick 1 and Taylor Adams for pick 3, NDS and say our 3rd round pick.

Thoughts?
he is contacted until the end of 2014 FFS...he doesn't go anywhere unless we trade... :roll: :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:so in other words fabricated rubbish .....
there are many many things that disprove what you are saying
doesnt help that the son of a recruiter was posting this bulls*** rumor and gettin a few worked up before he got put back in his box by others close to the club

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Making of RL?? you don't make turds you DO them
Name the other coaches to have got St Kilda into multiple grand finals.

lummox
Club Player

Allan Jeans

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lummox wrote:Allan Jeans
Not a long list, is it? Say what you like about Lyon, he was more successful than just about any other coach in St Kilda's history. Gotta give him some credit.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:so in other words fabricated rubbish .....
there are many many things that disprove what you are saying
doesnt help that the son of a recruiter was posting this bulls*** rumor and gettin a few worked up before he got put back in his box by others close to the club
I was told Dal Santo is arrogant around the club by a current and well respected Saints player.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Truthfully, you only want to hear the word cruiser when talking about the guy that runs around for Carlton...still sounds awkward for mine

kalsaint
Club Player

PJ wrote:Absolutely we'll consider trading Dal. I think the number 1 and number 10 draft picks should get it done.
I think you are on drugs. No club will trade a #1 plus #10 for a past top 10 pick. The reason is clearly that there are limited years of service to come and 2-3 years later a decline is just about guaranteed in the player.

No offense meant to Dal, who I rate as a very special talent, but I cant fathom why any club would do that sort of deal and I haven't yet seen anything like that to date!!

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
PJ
SS Life Member

kalsaint wrote:
PJ wrote:Absolutely we'll consider trading Dal. I think the number 1 and number 10 draft picks should get it done.
I think you are on drugs. No club will trade a #1 plus #10 for a past top 10 pick. The reason is clearly that there are limited years of service to come and 2-3 years later a decline is just about guaranteed in the player.

No offense meant to Dal, who I rate as a very special talent, but I cant fathom why any club would do that sort of deal and I haven't yet seen anything like that to date!!
Clearly you haven't picked up on the sarcasm.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dal and our 3rd round draft pick for (GWS's) no 1 draft pick :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Simmo2
Club Player

SainterK wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6660905506

Comments were from this article where he said he traditionally wasn't a good trainer and a cruiser...
Hilarious that I am lambasted on here for saying exactly the same thing our senior coach says about this wage thief. A cruiser is a dirty bludger- I'll say it for Scott