Draft Question - the Tom Boyd Scenario

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Draft Question - the Tom Boyd Scenario

BigMart wrote:2002

Watson, Wells, McVeigh

Fisher, Mundy, Boyd
I'd certainly pay Watson as being better than Goddard, but not Wells or McVeigh. Cooney has been cruelled by his injury, at his best was clearly the number 1 player of his draft. None of the other got close to his best.

Another thing that clearly stands out is how much better the 2001 draft was than the rest, with 2004-7 being probably the best 'run' of drafts in a row... lets hope that there is a similar 'run' over the next 2/3 years as we bottom out...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
MrCordz
Club Player

Tom Boyd - Power Forward of the Juniors just like...Tom Hawkins (took 5 years), Barry Brooks, Kepler Bradley, Fergus Watts, Jonathan Patton (may take 5), Tom Williams, Gumbleton, Koschitzke,
Lots of guys were potential dominators of the competition - hard to find or predict the future - Pick for needs would be my push

Humbly St. Kilda
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:Pick for needs would be my push

Interesting thought from oversea's drafts around the picking for needs vs picking for talent.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/ ... -nfl-draft

see rule 3 and 4

It's littered every where in sports that have the draft first round always go for the best talent, and fill needs later

Jonothon Brown, tony Lockett, Wayne Carey, and many others were dominant power forwards at junior level and in the AFL it's hit and miss every draft selection always is.

Or this may happen

1984 draft of the NBA

Portlanded had pick 2 and they needed a centremen so drafted the best Centreman (Sam Bowie) left despite not being the best talent. pick no 3 was ....... Micheal Jordon

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Is'nt young Paton a St.Kilda supporter?
Mybe GWS would accept a player and our No.3 or 4 pick for Paton and their compensation middle of the 1st round (10) pick. Now all we have to do is to get Paton making noises about being homesick.

defacto
Club Player

Richter wrote:
BigMart wrote:At 17 it's still speculation

Richmond were the team that missed out on the prized #1 selection in 2007

Consolation was only Trent Cotchin

Rarely has the number 1 even turned out the best of the top 5.... And not often in the best 5 of the overall draft
Interesting point. Here's some stats that back up your point...

1999 - #1 Josh Fraser; best player = Pavlich #4
2000 - #1 Nick Riewoldt
2001 - #1 Luke Hodge; best players = Judd #3, Ablett F/S.... (Swan, Johnson, Bartel, Dal Santo)
2002 - #1 Brendon Goddard
2003 - #1 Adam Cooney
2004 - #1 Brett Deledio; best player = Franklin #5
2005 - #1 Marc Murphy; best player = Pendlebury #5
2006 - #1 Bryce Gibbs; best player = Selwood #7
2007 - #1 Matthew Kreuzer; best player = Cotchin #2... (Dangerfield, Taylor, Rioli)
2008 - #1 Jack Watts; best player = Natanui #2
2009 - #1 Tom Scully; best player = Fyfe #17

Times that #1 was the best player in the draft = 3/11= 27% (2000, 2002, 2003)

Times that #1 was not even in the top 5 players in the draft = 4/11 = 36% (1999, 2007, 2008, 2009)

Times that other players in the top 5 picks were the best player in the draft = 6/11 = 54%

Times that players outside the top 5 were the best player in the draft = 3/11 = 27%
great post. also a lower hit rate for big men that are the number 1 pick.

dont think boyd is worth manipulating things over. just go best available. boyd also beats up on smaller players, the KPD depth is very very light on which means boyd has no competition

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Im no draft expert but I do know that 2 SA boys very highly rated. Aish is a highly skilled outside midfielder that racks up the kicks and can win his own ball when needed. Played lots of senior SANFL football last year and was one of Norwoods best kicking 1 or 2 goals in their premiership win. Matt Scharenberg plays KPD at the U18 level and can rotate through the midfield. Played senior SANFL footy last year for Glenelg .. 190 cm which makes him small for a KPP but who knows if he will grow more. Described by Choco Williams as the best schoolboy footballer he has seen - which even if he is half right makes him a very good footballer. Id be happy if either of these were available at our first pick.

If Boyd is as good as everyone says, then I cant see why we would need to trade our pick 3 and senior player for pick 1, when its likely at least 1 of the above 2 will be available at pick 3.

With our history of 2 for 1 deals at the last draft, my guess is there may be quite a few clubs enquiring about trading for our pick 3.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
southernsaint
Club Player

Good points Zed, maybe we just keep pick 3 and take best available and wait and see what happens.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SA have got some great talent this draft. Like Zed wrote, Aish and Sharenberg are two highly rated players. Dunstan is the other. All potential top 5 picks.

Interestingly Jamie's brother Patrick Cripps is old enough for this years draft and is also highly rated. He's actually a perfect fit for us. 188cm big inside mid who is the complete opposite to his brother. Potentially he's available at our second pick. It would be interesting if we took the punt given Jamie's exit.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote: Interestingly Jamie's brother Patrick Cripps is old enough for this years draft and is also highly rated. He's actually a perfect fit for us. 188cm big inside mid who is the complete opposite to his brother. Potentially he's available at our second pick. It would be interesting if we took the punt given Jamie's exit.
Is there a photo of him? :)

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We need the next nic nat , whatever shape or form he takes !

In red white and black from 73
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Interestingly Jamie's brother Patrick Cripps is old enough for this years draft and is also highly rated. He's actually a perfect fit for us. 188cm big inside mid who is the complete opposite to his brother. Potentially he's available at our second pick. It would be interesting if we took the punt given Jamie's exit.
Just keep on picking Crippses until one works out, eh? Jason's career was destroyed by injury, Jamie sooked and went home, maybe Patty will work out?

Junior
Club Player

I believe that Cripps is a third cousin not brother according to the AFL website.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I stood near Tom Boyd at the local VicRoads office today. He is ONE BIG UNIT !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

noob
Club Player

Draft a midfielder. The positions for the forward line are just about covered just need a couple key backman which most aren't high draft picks anyway.
Midfielder. Midfielder. Key Position Player, Key Position Player. Don't need any flankers. Got plently of those.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:I believe that Cripps is a third cousin not brother according to the AFL website.
Jason or Patrick? Patrick is certainly Jamie's brother.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I stood near Tom Boyd at the local VicRoads office today. He is ONE BIG UNIT !!
You should see Jonny Patton then -he could sit Jonathan Brown on his knee- he's like a side of beef on a pair of tree trunks. Footy players aren't small any more. I met Patton when he was a teenager and he was huge then would have been 196cm and 100+kgs at about 16

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Junior wrote:I believe that Cripps is a third cousin not brother according to the AFL website.
Jason or Patrick? Patrick is certainly Jamie's brother.

I don't think Jason was a relative of Jamie was he?

kos
Club Player

Patrick is Jamie's cousin.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:The positions for the forward line are just about covered...
This is what makes list management tough. We had the key forward positions half "covered" - Jarryd Allen should be just coming into his prime. But unfortunately he never got there. Who knows what could happen with Lee/White/etc? Don't count your chickens, etc, but unfortunately that's what list management is about.

Junior
Club Player

Jamie's brother is Ashley, Patrick is a cousin.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Kiedis
Club Player

noob wrote:Draft a midfielder. The positions for the forward line are just about covered just need a couple key backman which most aren't high draft picks anyway.
Midfielder. Midfielder. Key Position Player, Key Position Player. Don't need any flankers. Got plently of those.
We have the positions covered. I'm just not so sure with the right players..

We're basically hoping to replace one of the greatest players & CHF's we'll ever have the privilege to watch play the game in Riewoldt, with Spencer White. He's the new spearhead for the dominant St Kilda powerhouse of the future?

It's a long shot if anything. By all reports a real 50/50 at best.

I think the appeal of a Tom Boyd type to some, & certainly myself, is that presence you know he'll bring to a forward line/team. Imagine St Kilda all these years without Riewoldt. Freo without Pav, Brisbane & Brown etc etc. I see it as a possible launching platform, a real focal piece, in the next challenging St Kilda side..

But It's all speculation.

Don't get me wrong, I too have been waiting very long & patiently for our turn at a Martin, Cotchin or Dangerfield of our own..

So many needs. So little picks.

noob
Club Player

It didn't bother teams like West Coast or Geelong with a consistent dominate forward.

Kiedis
Club Player

Yeah It's definitely not a 'necessity' I suppose for a successful team..

But those teams do still boast the likes of Josh Kennedy (up there in the Coleman) & Tom Hawkins these days..

White to me, is a complete unknown. No idea whether hell be a player for us that we'll not soon forget..

Or delisted in a year or 2 after a handful of games.

Kiedis
Club Player

Add to that Tom Lee.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

boyd kicked 3 goals in 10 mins.........................then injured in U/18 carnival.

saint4life