Team Selection is atrocious

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Team Selection is atrocious

To bring in Jones, Maister and TDL is a complete joke. To play these guys ahead of Lee, Siposs, Saunders and Murdoch just makes the mind boggle. What's the point of trading for Lee and not playing him? All this completing goes against SW saying he would expose our youngsters and speed up the rebuild process. This just delays it further.

Junior
Club Player

Re: Team Selection is atrocious

Hickey, Webster, Stanley, Wright, Newnes, Roberton, Dunnell and Ross.

Plus Maister and Dennis- Lane all under fifty games how many kids do you want in the side at once?

The equal most debutants of any club this season.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Lee is not match fit for an AFL game at the moment. he will be in about 2 to 3 weeks

The form of Siposs has been very poor

Saunders, I agree, is worth a punt, while Murdoch is really on the fringes at this point. his turn will come.

Like Junior says, how many novices do you want out there?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Hickey, Webster, Stanley, Wright, Newnes, Roberton, Dunnell and Ross.

Plus Maister and Dennis- Lane all under fifty games how many kids do you want in the side at once?

spot on....

saint4life
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Stanley and Roberton are in their 4th years. Granted the rest are 1st or 2nd year players but get as many games into the kids as we can! Geelong had something like 10 players with under 50 games in their team the other night. The cats are leaps and bounds above us but we should be doing the same thing.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Maister is 27 so if we're claiming him as a kid we have problems

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Hickey, Webster, Stanley, Wright, Newnes, Roberton, Dunnell and Ross.

Wright & Roberton have been in better form than many of the senior guys.

I'd agree with you if the team selection made any sense.

I thought at this stage in a list development, it should primarily be about roles and structure.

We don't seem to be putting emphasis on either of those by the choices we're consistently making.

I wouldn't include Wright, Stanley and Roberton....all who have justfied their selection this year easily.

noob
Club Player

Problem when your players who are in the peak ages are non-existent or crap . Your left with players to pick from who are all over 28 or 18 year old that aren't suppose to be playing AFL football yet.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Players like curren and Ledger are in their 3rd years. The seasons done we should just play them and see if they perform. I just don't see the benefit we get by playing TDL and jones etc.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Players like curren and Ledger are in their 3rd years. The seasons done we should just play them and see if they perform. I just don't see the benefit we get by playing TDL and jones etc.
you dont gift young players games unless the have earnt it

saint4life
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Curren hasn't earnt it? Sandy BnF winner last year and would be close again this year.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Everything about Watters stinks at the moment - the guy has NFI ! The similarities with Watson's stint at the Saints are becoming scarily a case of history repeating itself !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote:Curren hasn't earnt it? Sandy BnF winner last year and would be close again this year.
still a rookie

saint4life
micksaint777

I look forward to bumping this thread after Sunday.

sippo
Club Player

Damage control...better to lose by 30 points than be blown away ( even if ya play more kids), hence the Jones and maister

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Everything about Watters stinks at the moment - the guy has NFI ! The similarities with Watson's stint at the Saints are becoming scarily a case of history repeating itself !
I tell myself that you are wrong. But it's only a self-protection mechanism kicking in.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
MadSaintFan wrote:Players like curren and Ledger are in their 3rd years. The seasons done we should just play them and see if they perform. I just don't see the benefit we get by playing TDL and jones etc.
not this argument again

yeah I look forward to the amazing benefits of gifting games to CJ instead

just like we did with Mini... glad his 7 kicks and 4 tackles a match stopped us from giftingto Armo and Steven

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Yep. It makes sense. Scott Watters must go. I can't believe that he hasn't turned the current list around by now. Our club looks like Melbourne.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
chook23 wrote:
not this argument again

yeah I look forward to the amazing benefits of gifting games to CJ instead

just like we did with Mini... glad his 7 kicks and 4 tackles a match stopped us from giftingto Armo and Steven

Myth. And when asked why didnt you mention either should have played in the GF. Luckily Armo is now a star.

lloyd21
Club Player

Fact. Saad small struggling replaced by TDL who is being given opportunity to prove he will on list next years list, 30 /70 this stage against.

Siposs. Will be a player just lacking confidence at the minute had great preseason but will prove all the knockers wrong next year, most players suffer the 2nd year blues,he is one of them.
The club has played 35 players , very clear who they are deciding who they keep for next year.

Sick of posters calling for Curren he ain't on the list , he won't be next year,neither will Ledger .

Playing Jones is just protecting midfield depth with experience at this stage.Won't be there next year .

Wright Saunders Newnes Steven will be mids next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Fact. Saad small struggling replaced by TDL who is being given opportunity to prove he will on list next years list, 30 /70 this stage against.

Siposs. Will be a player just lacking confidence at the minute had great preseason but will prove all the knockers wrong next year, most players suffer the 2nd year blues,he is one of them.
The club has played 35 players , very clear who they are deciding who they keep for next year.

Sick of posters calling for Curren he ain't on the list , he won't be next year,neither will Ledger .

Playing Jones is just protecting midfield depth with experience at this stage.Won't be there next year .

Wright Saunders Newnes Steven will be mids next year.

If we are going to mention facts then maybe we need to say Siposs is in his third year. Fact.

lloyd21
Club Player

Siposs had shin splints 1st year effectively only been in system for 2years ,very clear most players do not make it till they are
22, only a few exceptions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Siposs had shin splints 1st year effectively only been in system for 2years ,very clear most players do not make it till they are
22, only a few exceptions.

Is this his third year?

lloyd21
Club Player

ok. Example. David Myers ( Ess ) 2007 draft played just over 50 games has just become a regular this guy is a 1st rounder.

It is meaningless to say someone who is drafted and played only 20 odd games with only 2 preseasons could not train because of shin splints effectively killed his development is 3years in the system.They all take time.
Siposs & Markworth will improve a lot providing they have good run with injury going forward.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

deleted
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 08 Jun 2013 7:11am, edited 1 time in total.